PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 USB-UART vs. IOIO on Android
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

weersch
Pulcino

13 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2017 :  22:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As reported in another thread, I am just switching from the old faithfull IPAQ310 to a new Android phone. The new Moto G5Plus sunlight readability is excellent. During my first 4.5 hour flight I did not notice major problems with the latest 6.1F release. Only the reported terrain offset (I switched off terrain. Followed the old "For terrain, look outside" ) and missing waypoint/airport dots.

My question is about the serial interface to hook up my PowerFlarm.
Do we still need the IOIO (OTG) board ?
I took a CP210x USB UART, connected it with a OTG cable to the G5 and had no problem reading a GPS NMEA stream in the SERIAL USB TERMINAL 1.11 app from the Google PlayStore.
But in LK8000 Device Setup, under Generic (and other devices), it seems the only options are for the 4 IOIO ports, some BT ports, TCP or UDP.
Is this a matter of LK8000 missing support for FTDI, CP210x, PL2303, CH340, etc. or am I doing something wrong ?

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2017 :  23:23:59  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can interconnect an Android device by:
USB OTG (You can use USB OTG to connect FTDI like devices)
Bluetooth
WiFi
IOIO

So OTG is the one you are asking for.
http://www.postfrontal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8467

Go to Top of Page

weersch
Pulcino

13 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2017 :  08:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi AlphaLima
Thank you very much for you response.
I followed your link and read the thread.
Seems to be dedicated to the WiFi connection with ESP8266 only.

I understand the benefits of the WiFi connection, like multipoint capability. I might try that later. But at this moment I am interested in the wired connection.

Do I understand correctly from your response that I can select the USB OTG port in LK8000 V6.1G on Android ?
I have only been able to find the IOIO, BT, TCP and UDP ports under several devices like Generic, Cambridge (etc).
No OTG device (with the CP210x connected and operational through the SERIAL USB TERMINAL 1.11 app)

Could you point me in the right direction where to find this OTG port setting?
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2017 :  21:40:49  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OTG works for Kobo devices only at the moment.
For android the IOIO Board is the only "wired" connection at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

hpronto
Pulcino

Portugal
41 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2017 :  11:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
For OTG (FTDI) you have this workaround
http://blueflyvario.blogspot.pt/2016/04/blueflyvariottlgps-over-usb-on-android.html?m=1

It worked for me

Edited by - hpronto on 27/05/2017 11:48:08
Go to Top of Page

D-2402
Pulcino

Germany
26 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2018 :  18:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

tried to connect LK8000 (latest version running on a Wayteq x995) to my glider. While xcsoar happily talks to Flarm and LX1600 via my old and faithful ioio board, lk8000 just hangs (in the statup sequence when it says it connects to devices). Settings are identical to xcsoar. IOIO is an older version and NOT an OTG board. Can anyone here point me to possible causes? Do I need any special IOIO settings for LK8000? Does LK8000 talk to non OTG IOIO boards?

cheers
Torsten

Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. AT&T is a modem test command.
Go to Top of Page

Alebu
Falchetto

Italy
105 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2018 :  11:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I just got one IOIO-OTG board made by greeetech (avilable on Amazon) and ready to try the connection to my Android device. I have not been able to find which IOIO board pins are the Tx Rx ones for the various UART avilable in LK8000. Anybody knows were this info is available?

Many thanks.

Alebu
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1096 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2018 :  11:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
http://www.postfrontal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8635&SearchTerms=IOIO

. Android IOIO board support (android only)
Uart 0: pin3=out, pin4=in
Uart 1: pin5=out, pin6=in
Uart 2: pin10=out, pin11=in
Uart 3: pin12=out, pin13=in

Go to Top of Page

Alebu
Falchetto

Italy
105 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2018 :  12:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, thanks Bruno.
I'll report the follow up.

Regards,

Alebu
Go to Top of Page

Alebu
Falchetto

Italy
105 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  12:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As promised hereafter my follow-up: Unfortunately I have no good news, all my tentative failed up to now.

I did try to connect my Android device to three different sources (KRT2 radio, AirGlide Display S an Condor) via IOIO-OTG card (and RS232toTTL converters where needed). All of them were happily connected to my former WinCE device running LK8000, so I’m confident that the sources are good.
The best it happens is that connecting the IOIO card to the Android Device makes LK8000 starting automatically. This should be the effect of a positive communication between Android and the IOIO. That apart, no any positive communication with the above sources devices. I did try all four UART port, also reverting the TX/RX wires, at many different Boudrates.

Is there any possible check to verify the UART ports?

Unfortunately I’m still not able to update the IOIO firmware to the 5.05, so I’m still obliged to work with the on board rev.4. Can this be the cause of the total communication absence?

Many thank.
Go to Top of Page

Alebu
Falchetto

Italy
105 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  22:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more update, very positve this time. After many different tentative I did notice that not all the USB cable are the same. Even if apparently identical the cables seems to works differently, maybe someone is OTG and someone is not. Anyway, doing the same I did before, but with the right cable, I have been able to update the IOIO card’s firmware to the 5.06 and then to get NMEA sentences from Condor to LK8000. I did also sent KRT2 commands to Hyperterminal. I’m quite confident to successfully connect my Android device to my glider’s instruments, now. I’ll let you know.
Go to Top of Page

Alebu
Falchetto

Italy
105 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2018 :  09:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
confident in what I saw at home, yesterday I did few test on board but, unfortunately, the results were not as good as expected. My optimum target is to have a bidirectional communication among LK8000 on my Android smartphone vs AirGlide Vario DisplaS and Dittel KRT2 radio, via wired (not BT) IOIO OTG card. To be brief, finally I’m only able to receive NMEA senteces from the AirGlide Vario DisplaS (and from the FLARM connected to the Vario). So no Declaration towards the AirGlide Logger, and with my big surprise, no any communication from/to the KRT2 radio. Once understood the IOIO logic, it seems to be quite simple to connect devices having RS232 or TTL serial communication protocols. That’s why I suspect some issue with the Dittel KRT2 driver into LK8000.
Is anybody currently successfully controlling a KRT2 radio, via wired IOIO OTG card, from LK8000 running on Android?

Alebu
Go to Top of Page

Alebu
Falchetto

Italy
105 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2020 :  09:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just the last update on my experience with IOIO-OTG and Android smartphone. Now 99% is working properly:
- S100 sends and receives from LK8000 (stable and beta releases) on Android. Air data, MC settings, GPS, FLARM, GOTO, task declaration. (LXV7_EXP protocol).
- KRT2 radio stably connected, and bidirectional (I love it).
The last lesson learned was that the micro switch on the IOIO card must be on "A" position. (The "H" position works now and then and got me crazy).
The only issue still in place is that FLARM is detected by LK (classic FLARM physically connected to the S100's GPS port) but traffic in not represented on the map. As of today I suspect something wrong in the FLRAM's configuration.

Regards,

Alebu
Go to Top of Page

andydasmith
Pulcino

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2020 :  20:20:32  Show Profile  Visit andydasmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a shame, the new Android phones and tablets with sunlight readable colour e-ink displays will not work via wired usb OTG.
Although these people have a way: https://www.lebipbip.com/lk8000-for-android/
Go to Top of Page

Alebu
Falchetto

Italy
105 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2020 :  11:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alebu

The only issue still in place is that FLARM is detected by LK (classic FLARM physically connected to the S100's GPS port) but traffic in not represented on the map. As of today I suspect something wrong in the FLRAM's configuration.

It was not a FLARM configuration issue. The problem was that I had a FLARM display connected to the Extension FLARM's port. I just discovered that the two FLARM's ports can not transmit data at the same time , so I just made a splitter to send data to the display and to the LK8000 (via S100), at the same time, taking data from the FLARM Power/Data port only.

Alebu
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy