PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 General Support
 Task Speed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andydasmith
Pulcino

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2021 :  14:34:15  Show Profile  Visit andydasmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that the value displayed in the TskSp info box changes significantly from entering a thermal (when it is replaced by the "thermal" info box set) to that shown when you leave the thermal. This may sound logical but it changes in the opposite direction to that anticipated! The average speed is higher after spending time thermalling. As you proceed towards the turnpoint or final glide the average speed gradually reduces, even if you are flying at over 100kts. The value is correct when the task is completed but it would be nice to see how well you are doing on task. I thought that this may be caused by selecting total energy compensation in settings but this appears not to be the case. Has anyone else noticed this?

andydasmith
Pulcino

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2021 :  01:13:55  Show Profile  Visit andydasmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I tried one of the other task speed options today (instantaneous I believe), this just varied wildly and was no use. The info box help says that all task speed info boxes are total energy corrected. This height correction does not appear to be working correctly. I believe that the task speed used to be correct. Wouldn't it be simpler to measure the glider's position and display the achieved speed around the task with no height correction?
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1090 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2021 :  13:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"TspSp" formula used is very simple : task distance covered / time elapsed from task start

Go to Top of Page

andydasmith
Pulcino

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2021 :  16:03:27  Show Profile  Visit andydasmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm running Android version 7.3.8. Task Speed info box help states:
"(Speed Task Achieved) Achieved cross country speed while on current task, compensated for altitude. Normally this is used as first choice"
Has this been changed?
As stated above the displayed speed increases (about 10kph more achieved speed half way around a 500k task while climbing only 2000 ft) in a thermal when the glider is not traveling down track.
I've not delved into the code but the help says the speed is compensated for altitude. Are you suggesting this means the correction is for TAS rather than IAS, surely this would be far less and the achieved speed should be calculated from GPS position anyway?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy