PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 General Support
 terrain shading changes while panning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

P_Dikeman
Pulcino

21 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2021 :  19:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm noticing that terrain shading changes as i pan over a hilly area.even with shading OFF and ZERO contrast value. In reading the LK8000 manual it seems like this should not be happening ...unless i'm misreading the manual. I sometimes fly in relatively flat areas with isolated hills. I'm trying to look for the biggest hills when searching for thermals and changing shading doesn't help.

Android v7.2.1 Fly or Sim , panning ON. Terrain Display settings: LOW Hills, auto contrast OFF, terrain contrast 50 terrain brightness 50, Shading OFF Contour Line OFF. I have tried a few variations shading OFF/ON and auto contrast OFF/ON,. With auto contrast OFF i tried contrast values as low as zero didn,t seem to make a big difference.

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1096 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2021 :  23:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you see shadding change or color change ?
Go to Top of Page

P_Dikeman
Pulcino

21 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2021 :  01:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
appears to be color change, BUT hard to tell because the colors in the color ramp are relatively "close" to one another.

Separately, In another experiment, i built a version of the 7.2.1 Android code with my own custom colorRamp.h for "low hills" same symptoms and same issue with colors being close together.

I can experiment and make the ramp colors distinctly different.

Let me do some more experiments over the next couple of days to see if i can definitively answer your question.

Go to Top of Page

GenIv
Pulcino

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2021 :  13:58:41  Show Profile  Visit GenIv's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you want to read the relief well, then turn on the landscape color - Contrast and contour lines. Contrast 70-80, brightness 10-15

Always ready
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1096 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2021 :  14:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by P_Dikeman

appears to be color change, BUT hard to tell because the colors in the color ramp are relatively "close" to one another.

Separately, In another experiment, i built a version of the 7.2.1 Android code with my own custom colorRamp.h for "low hills" same symptoms and same issue with colors being close together.

I can experiment and make the ramp colors distinctly different.

Let me do some more experiments over the next couple of days to see if i can definitively answer your question.

terrain color ramp is relative to min height of visible terrain, depending of 'terrain_minalt' flags

cf. DrawTerrain.cpp line 490
Go to Top of Page

P_Dikeman
Pulcino

21 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2021 :  16:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@brunotl: "terrain color ramp is relative to min height of visible terrain" Yes, i suspect that is exactly what's happening, the problem is most noticeable when zoomed in... One person's feature is another person's bug :)

I will take a look at code in DrawTerrain.cpp thanks for the pointer.

@GenIv - thanks for the tip, will try it out after i fix this issue with min height.
Go to Top of Page

P_Dikeman
Pulcino

21 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2021 :  03:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@brunotl - works great!

@GenIv - contour lines definitely help, the other changes were more subtle but i think it was an improvement.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy