PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Change requests and new features list
 FLARM recorder and Message repeat. (DONE)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

danielvelez
Falchetto

Colombia
145 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  16:49:11  Show Profile  Visit danielvelez's Homepage  Click to see danielvelez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello there.

I´m only starting to use FLARM (FANET) and I´m trying to make it massive to our flying community (hanggliders and paragliders) at least on my local flying zone.

There are a few things that could be nice:

1. Having a way of "storing" the FLARM or RADAR information so you can review / replay the igc and also see what was being received while you where flying. Well actually if you could implement it on the "flightrecorder.cfg" module, and if we could "play out" that recorded info, then we could have a really nice replay, better than with the igc alone (IAS, Vario, detected FLARMS around). Would workd as a "blackbox".

2. We are working with a programmer with a nice FANET hardware solution that can send short messages to LK8000 as implemented already by the software. Nevertheless, the messages appear only for 2 secs on screen. Not sure how to change that short time. And there´s seems to be missing an "incomming messages.txt" that can be stored so you can review all the messages with time signature. I know that there´s a "repeat message" button but

Edited by - AlphaLima on 22/01/2021 10:05:36

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2020 :  11:31:16  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
but?

1. you can log the NMEA data and replay it with a terminal programm, or some other tools like:
http://lefebure.com/software/gpsutils/
http://geovisu.free.fr/gpsdiffuser/english/index.htm
https://gpsfeed.sourceforge.io/

2. Info2/2->Message repeat, this is an open source platform if you want new feature, feel free to implement it, for debugging we have a testbench/logbook functions.

Edited by - AlphaLima on 14/08/2020 11:32:12
Go to Top of Page

danielvelez
Falchetto

Colombia
145 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2020 :  01:59:57  Show Profile  Visit danielvelez's Homepage  Click to see danielvelez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry Alphalima message sent incomplete.

.... but the last message button behaves strange. If you receive 5 messages you can press really fast and the last message will seem to go back s9me levels and show previous messages so ther are being stored somewhere. And the message will be briefly displayed making it difficult to read.

Im not a programmer so this is why im writting on the request forum instead of actively modifying the source code on the developer one.

Maybe a pop up message time out config option on system settings wont be that difficult to add for someone that knows the code.

Gonna look into the replay nmea log options that you suggested.
Go to Top of Page

danielvelez
Falchetto

Colombia
145 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2020 :  04:20:53  Show Profile  Visit danielvelez's Homepage  Click to see danielvelez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlphaLima

but?

2. Info2/2->Message repeat, this is an open source platform if you want new feature, feel free to implement it, for debugging we have a testbench/logbook functions.

Sometimes a video can explain more what I'm trying to point out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY_dQcBeM-Q

I´m test running the FLARM message capabilities of LK8000... Imagine that you are flying and concentrating on looking outside... then you hear the pop up... but it vanishes too fast... then it comes another and another message and you now have a small oportunity to check out what was popping up on your screen...

Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2020 :  08:35:18  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danielvelez

[quote]Originally posted by AlphaLima

but?
... then it comes another and another message and you now have a small oportunity to check out what was popping up on your screen...

which, in my eyes, becomes dangerous and tends to be annoying.
as you said, you'd better look outside!
LK8000 is a navigation computer not a (another) messenger service.
You'd better use a dedicated programm for text messages.

just my 5ct.
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2020 :  09:07:23  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
However, the display time is a question of the FANET driver implementation.
I had a look into the source code of the driver, it is hardcoded to 1500ms by the author.
LK show up to the last 20 messages only.
Go to Top of Page

danielvelez
Falchetto

Colombia
145 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2020 :  16:42:10  Show Profile  Visit danielvelez's Homepage  Click to see danielvelez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice. on devFanet.cpp line 197: Message::AddMessage(1500, MSG_COMMS, text); // message time 1.5s

I understand your concern that making LK8000 into a whatsapp is not the idea. So maybe an option for activating "Fanet" messages could resolve the issue.
Looking at an instrument while flying is dangerous, but that goes for anything displayed on the instrument, not only text messages... And the polite use of the FANET messenger won´t be to "chat" like "hey, how is everything up there" kind of talk, but more like "announces during a task or an event" kind of message. On hanggliding and paragliding big events, there is the necessity to rely some important safety or weather reports via radio. Using Fanet hardware to resolve this issue can help.

I think Gerald wants to implement automatic weather station reports to be readable via Fanet. So in this case, a "on/off" button for those who don´t want to be disturbed and only see traffic (FLARM) alerts, could resolve the issue.
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1090 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2021 :  10:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danielvelez

quote:
Originally posted by AlphaLima

but?

Sometimes a video can explain more what I'm trying to point out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY_dQcBeM-Q

I´m test running the FLARM message capabilities of LK8000... Imagine that you are flying and concentrating on looking outside... then you hear the pop up... but it vanishes too fast... then it comes another and another message and you now have a small oportunity to check out what was popping up on your screen...

Hi Daniel, can you do the same test in landscape mode ?

when you click on message that close the message, so problem exist only when message is over the "Repeat Menu"...

maybe we need to move up or down the message in portrait mode to avoid this problem.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy