PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Developers
 ADS-B / PiAware
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thekwijibo
Pulcino

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2017 :  21:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had the seed of an idea growing in my mind for a long time about being able to receive ADS-B data through LK8000. Currently my flying community shares airspace with local air traffic, and there has been a few near-misses over the years. I'm sure a cost-effective way of displaying ADS-B information on LK8000 would be well received.

I've done a little bit of research, and I've hoped someone with more developmental wizardry could help me out a little to determine if this rabbit-hole is worth diving into. I'm considering running a Raspberry Pi with PiAware and a USB dongle to hopefully be able to communicate with a Kobo running LK8000. I know LK8000 supports FLARM, but I suspect there should be a way to have it work with ADS-B information. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Is there some translation code that needs to take place?

I don't have the most experience with the nitty-gritty parts of software development, but I'm mainly concerned about if something like this could be possible.

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  03:20:53  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is the ADSB sending out, and what format is it using?
The easy way is to program the PI to send data using the same coding of Flarm.
Which is basic NMEA sentences, and nothing else to do.
Go to Top of Page

thekwijibo
Pulcino

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  19:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are good questions, and I'm mostly looking for simplicity and it appeared like PiAware and the previous USB dongle had some work already done. However, it might not be as simple as I was hoping.

In digging around it appears these types of dongles are RTLSDR devices listening to the 1090MHz ADS-B frequency and the Pi runs software to decode those signals. Looks like PiAware is geared mostly to having a viewable map, but under the hood is using something called dump1090 to make sense of the data. I'm not well versed in the format it is using though, and might require more digging around to see which formats are compatible.

So, it sounds like I need to find a way to make something like dump1090 spit out information in a NMEA format, and LK8000 should be able to make sense of the data like if it were FLARM?
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  21:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes exactly. Garrecht (if I spell it correctly) does the same since years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy