PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Development Updates
 LK8000 v6 , some thoughts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  17:25:11  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While working on the new v6 version of LK, we have the chance to face again the infamous mc theory.
The MC theory developed 50 years before the gps was invented is based on air mass movements, without considering terrain distances. And more, it does not even consider thermal points like mountains and such. It works maybe (maybe) only in flat landlands.
We should make it easy: we use terrain distances, and there is no point in not considering wind while calculating a speed to fly if we are calculating everything relatively to terrain.
We should therefore remove at all the "cruise" and "final glide" things, like it happens on more modern computers.

We are seeking for easy to understand things, and a speed to fly not considering the wind only because of "cruise" and "final glide" and not considering real terrain distances is just outdated and does not belong to y2015. It belong to 1960, maybe (it never worked in the mountains, in any case).
So, the king is naked. This is only a proposal: use the wind all the way in calculations, with no "if".

The v6 has major reworked user interface, no revolutions but totally customizable fonts working cross-platforms. We are in the phase of attacking the task system, and this is why I felt it was better to share this thought.

davesalmon
Pterodattilo

United Kingdom
1620 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2015 :  17:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new theory, so I suggest a new name, not MacCready, otherwise thewre will be endless arguments. As it's including wind, how about the Ventafridda (Ve)theory? I have always had an uncomfortable feeling about something based on the unknown future. I once tried a few simulations of flights, and it didn't seem to make any practical difference whether you used the rate of climb of the last thermal, or guessed the next one (which of course you knew in a mathematical simulation).
Go to Top of Page

ernst-dieter
Aquilotto

Germany
203 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  20:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THE most attractive practical feature apart from theory-refinements for ME would be an radio-interface, e.g. for Dittel (I own an KRT2), Becker etc. as AL already experimented with. The contest already incorporated a Becker driver.

Second best would be a data-download-manager, which would help to configure the program easily on a device with internet access.

And at third I would like to have a mini terminal program to be able to check the stream of the interface ports.

my 2 cents, greetings
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  22:52:39  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is not my theory, I am not entitled to invent any theory. The fact is that we use MC as a speed indicator, and when you fly to a ridge or to a mt peak at - say - 2000m top, the thermal is just there at 2000m, not drifted away. So we always fly as a "final glide".
At least, in the mountains. I think that in flat lands the MC is still valid, and I wouldnt touch it. But for mountain areas, it is just not working. Anyway, it would always be an optional choice. "Consider wind".
I am not sure how LX9000 and other flight instruments are dealing with this, I will ask around.

The mini terminal is in the queue.
So far the user interface (bottom bar, nearest pages, overlays etc.) has been rewritten to make it better, and to adapt automatically to any resolution with better results than before . And all fonts are free to be reduced or enlarged at will, with instant results.
I have not finished this long work, yet.
Go to Top of Page

rflantua
Pulcino

Netherlands
33 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  23:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to have the possibility to transfer waypoint data to LX EOS devices (GOTO, Waypoint).
Faster loading of map and flarmnet files.
But most of all, keep up the good work. LK8000 is still the best application available, and for free!
THX

Rob Flantua
DG-800B 18m
D-KEDI (RF)
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  17:14:21  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am quite sure most people will like also the new customizable user interface.
Because, for example, if you reduce the bottombar items then they automatically rescale and make place for 6, 7 or 8 elements.
And the same happens in portrait mode. I had thought to use a "DPI" approach to make default fonts, but that does not work because the perceived "dpi" depends on how far the device is placed from our eyes. So making everything fully resizable was a necessity.
Concerning map loading, I have some ideas to make it better but right now it is not scheduled.
Right now, some bugs apart, the upcoming v6 is a major step forward from v5 from many points of view.
But we cannot release a beta at the moment.
I have to release the 5.0b instead!
Go to Top of Page

rflantua
Pulcino

Netherlands
33 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  22:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What changes do you plan to lauch with 5.0b? Perhaps better support of LX NEO, navigation and Goto commands?

Rob Flantua
DG-800B 18m
D-KEDI (RF)
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  00:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
fixes only. There is no plan to support LX NEO better than how it is supported now. You need a programmer with time available, and owning an LX NEO. Not me..
Go to Top of Page

KarmaGianni
Aquilotto

Italy
283 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  18:25:08  Show Profile  Visit KarmaGianni's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ciao Paolo, have you ever thought about asking FAI-IGC for some hints or requests?
Everybody knows they still have something to argue about the artificial horizon and about the use we pilots make of Flarm data (like Butterfly...)
Is a "competition" version in your plans?
Me, as scorer, would love to see Lk recognized as a real alternarive of IGC recorders and to have an automatic BlueTooth routine to download files and flight just carring the devices close to the scorer's PC...
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  18:33:47  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We do have a "competition" version that does not have an artificial horizon.
It is online. But flarm data is not part of the deal.
As for the automatic download, in Brasil we have a scoring procedure that automatically uploads task and downloads flight log simply by plugging the PNA to the scorer's PC.
I doubt it will ever be possible to use a non-IGC FR for competitions. And in case, I would suggest using the Flarm logs, not PNA's.
Quite sure that if Flarm would add a BT option to do file transfer from their devices, many people would get it at once.
But they are too busy with protocol encription to see real added values to sell to people.
Go to Top of Page

JPRosa
Falchetto

Portugal
112 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2015 :  19:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a glider, I think that we may never compare our software features to those of a LX9000 or a Zeus, regarding to speed to fly.
And that by a simple reason: an inboard computer recieves GPS data and also pressure data: pitot, statics and TEK, processed with full digital sensors. That's why they can calculate the wind in a straight line. Ar mountains, wind is always changing. And what we can receive in your devices is simply NMEA.
I have to say that in LK8000 I do not use vario, probably I take a look at thermal assistant, and concerning to required height to waypoints I just use it to cross check the one reported by the EOS.
So what do I use and what do I miss?
As Navigation is the most important feature to me, I would like to have added in tasks the possibility of having turnpoints with 2 angles and radius - than happens in competitions.
Customizable ribbon can also be a help. In an AAT task having a permanent information about finishing before or after defined time: estimated total time. Better if connected to a MOVE function. And average speed in the task total and in the present leg. Most important: if we decide to advance (sometimes we have to do it because we can only set 1 radius and angle in a TP), we can still have average speed values and time.
At last: to have CUP format in tasks.
Some more practical points: Direct pan and navigate to a point picked on the map.

Joćo Rosa
ASW20 CL
Janus A
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1097 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2015 :  19:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JPRosa
At last: to have CUP format in tasks.

already done in v5.0
quote:
Originally posted by JPRosa
Some more practical points: Direct pan and navigate to a point picked on the map.

already possible possible in pan mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFjugVyYpc

and even modify a task:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_VeQFbUSlg

Edited by - AlphaLima on 14/01/2016 16:21:54
Go to Top of Page

mikkieg42
Pulcino

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  19:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if the MC theory you're talking about is regarding speed-to-fly and/or taskspeed?

For speed-to-fly I know a lot of people that don't do this, they pick an inter-thermal speed and stick to it, regardless of other factors. I normally do this and set a MC on the vario (I've never used LK for speed-to-fly) that makes it silent at this speed. I then judge if I need to change the inter-thermal speed depending on height, distance to next thermal etc. I think just using MC can be a good way of finding yourself landed in a field! MC doesn't of course take into account doplhin flight either.

Taskspeed - I've found this very confusing and un-reliable so far. I'm not too sure how it's calculated but I believe one of the Taskpeeds at least depends on the MC setting, which may be ok for a theoretical flight but it real-life the taskspeed is better I think calculated on the time taken to cover a certain distance - I thought that one of the Taskspeeds (average I think) did this but I had a recent flight when the taskspeed was showing around 500kph, I wish! I also often set the MC to 1 or less so I can see the best arrival heights at alternate airfields etc, which then indicates a very slow (and incorrect) x-country speed.
Go to Top of Page

m-a-r-t-i-n
Pulcino

33 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  15:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

at this point, I would suggest again to display not the "Speed to fly" based on MC, but the other way round.

LK8000 could display your current MC Based on your air speed, wind and sinkrate.

If you look in front, you will have an idea, if you:
1) reach your next thermal
2) what will be the expected climb rate

Based on this you can adjust your speed until you reach the MC value you want to fly with.

This method is also used by Para-, and hanggliding device Flytec 6030.

what do you think?
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  15:15:01  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats what we call Equivalent MC, and we have it in use long time since.
Go to Top of Page

m-a-r-t-i-n
Pulcino

33 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  15:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not exactly - as discussed here http://www.postfrontal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7369, Equivalent MC does not consider the current sink rate and can therfore not substitude the Speed to fly function...

Anyway - another idea could be to:
1) Idetify a potential Thermal
2) show the max speed (MC) possible to reach it.

a potential Thermal could be along the heading line, 100m above terrain peaks...

Paragliders use this style to fly...

Currently you have to select a waypoint for this, right? It would be nice if this could be shown on the main page (top view)

Edited by - m-a-r-t-i-n on 09/02/2016 16:06:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy