PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 V3-update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

freewing70
Pterodattilo

Italy
1268 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2015 :  17:47:49  Show Profile  Visit freewing70's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lawrence caro, please think of a good, strong, durable, and easy way to realize the ON/OFF button.
Thanks a lot a keep developing
=:)

- enrico

Go to Top of Page

pierfax
Pterodattilo

Italy
1030 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2015 :  19:03:06  Show Profile  Visit pierfax's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and a low price :-)

Pier Fassina
Go to Top of Page

3dairspace
New Entry

1 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2015 :  22:56:11  Show Profile  Visit 3dairspace's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Lawrence,

The V3 sounds very interesting.

I am a paragliding pilot so I am hoping for a battery that will be able to last 12 hours.
Also it would be nice if the OS was Android as it would mean a much larger market will a larger range of apps. like Viewranger, Xcsoar, tophat, etc...

Any idea of a release date and price?

All the best,

Lloyd.
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2015 :  00:04:17  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Xcsoar and tophat run perfectly on V3, because they run in microsoft environment.
Android would require 2 or 3 times faster CPU, and goodbye battery.
Go to Top of Page

s-taylo
New Entry

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2015 :  23:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mean to criticise the Vertica V3 with the following. But in response to the mentions of XCSoar and Top Hat support, I'd like to clarify:

- As far as I know, Top Hat does not support Windows CE.

- After the last maintenance version of 6.8 is released, XCSoar plans to discontinue support for Windows CE. (I'd estimate this means support will be discontinued by early 2017, perhaps a few months sooner or later).

- Lawrence mentioned Linux support as an option. XCSoar supports some Linux devices. However, if the system board pictured in the first photo is the one used on the final device, it looks like performance of the Vertica V3 will be very similar to the Vertica V2. Realistically [edit: this XCSoar for this system board, running Linux] couldn't be supported without a volunteer to port and maintain a version for this device.

Again, I don't mean to criticise the Vertica V3. I'm sure it will be just as usable as the Vertica V2 for XCSoar users throughout 6.8's lifecycle, and I've seen people using unsupported old versions of XCSoar, LK8000 and other glider software without problems. :)

Edited by - s-taylo on 21/06/2015 00:25:43
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2015 :  23:48:31  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very strange, Simon. What are the cpu requirements for xcsoar today? I thought there were no problems running on a V2.
We don't have any, although the 360mhz is border line.
Go to Top of Page

s-taylo
New Entry

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2015 :  00:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's difficult to say what the CPU requirements are. Early Windows CE devices such as the iPAQ h3850 are still technically supported. (At least, I haven't seen anyone mention that they've stopped working.) XCSoar 6.8 on the Vertica V3 should work with no problems under Windows CE.

The main issue is that there is a lot of conditional code in XCSoar for comparatively low-performance CE devices, and the plan is to remove that when CE support is dropped in XCSoar 6.9 / 7.0. The lowest performance devices supported would then be the Kobo Linux ereaders, which have 800MHz processors with NEON acceleration (used to speed up some 2D graphics operations).
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2015 :  03:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I understand the conditional code issue. Well it is a long term schedule anyway.
If am not wrong the cpu of the V3 should be around 800mhz. This is also the speed of LX Minimaps, which are damn fast devices for our software.

Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2015 :  13:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lawrence

We’re looking to keep the 10 pin USB socket with RS232, this will also handle the charging of the V3. We wanted to keep the build simple, less holes in the case, less leads to supply.

Lawrence

I advise you to drop de 10 pin mini USB, it is way too fragile for use in a cockpit environment. After using my Gliderguider (same as V2) for about 2 years, it has broken and caused short circuit in my cockpit!

I use the socket only for power, data goes via Bluetooth, and hindsight shows this is way more reliable then this 10 pin USB mini USB socket.

I am now temporary flying with my Nexus Phone and XCSoar.. Man I miss LK8000! I miss the easy interface, the big fonts, the multi-maps, the sonar airspace warning pings, the logical task setting. Readability of the screen of course.

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
http://www.zweef.nl/
Zweefvliegcentrum Noordkop, NETHERLANDS
Go to Top of Page

rmerigan
Falchetto

Australia
177 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2015 :  06:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe with some careful case design the 10pin usb socket could be clamped between the case halves
so you don't rely on the soldering.
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2015 :  16:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I repaired my GG by soldering a USB A male lead directly to the PCB. When opening the case the 10 pin USB connector fell out on the table.. it was completely broken of the PCB. Probably caused by myself during several atempts by fiddling it back and forth to establish a power connection, I have stressed the connector so much that the tiny solder contacts have torn from the PCB.

I agree with rmerigan, if the 10pin connector is still used, make sure it is clamped over the complete surface of the USB connector between the two case halves, so it does not rely solely on the soldering quality to keep it in place. This clamping by the case I have seen in other devices and works quite well.

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page

lawrence
Pulcino

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  12:09:15  Show Profile  Visit lawrence's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback, due to supply issues we may stick with a standard 5 pin with RS232. For 90% of the time there will be no need to provide power to the unit during flights as we'll ensure the battery will last all day. Whatever USB port we provide we'll ensure it is secure and not just relying on the solder to hold it in place.

The processor speed will be faster than the V2.

We're currently configuring the BT module, working on an amplifier for the audio (for vario usage) and testing Power switches. The rest is running well. Once the above is completed we'll print the PCBs and can progress with the case manufacture.

Kind regards

Lawrence
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  13:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you are listening to your (potential) customers! Keep up the good work!

I have understood so far that the V3 will be either Linux or Windows CE, right?.. Does this mean you have to make a final choice at the time of purchase or will the V3 be able to be reconfigured back and forth between Windows CE and Linux or even Android? (Dual boot?)

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  13:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Android need at least 3 times as much CPU power not to mention memory.
Go to Top of Page

lawrence
Pulcino

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2015 :  09:21:46  Show Profile  Visit lawrence's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The V3 will be either Linux or Windows based but can only be set at production level, it won't be dual boot. There is a possibility to upgrade the CPU to a more powerful unit that might make android a possibility in the future.

Kind regards

Lawrence
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy