PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Paragliders
 External vario
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steyn
New Entry

2 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  07:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good day. I need some assistance regarding the external vario i have connected to my vertica v2 and LK8000. I purchased the BT vario from Millenair. Please let me know how LK8000 is using the vario? I mean I guess I have to set the QNH prior to launch to get correct alt. values? Or is LK8000 only using GPS altitudes?

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  11:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do not confuse vario with altitude, first.. LK normally is capable of setting the QNH automatically if you switch it on nearby to an airfield or takeoff place with a known waypoint. This is because the waypoint altitude will be used to determine the correct QNH .
Otherwise, you can always set the qnh anytime by yourself. Simply go to basic settings and adjust it, or adjust the altitude.
You do the same on Suunto altimeters.
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  12:05:16  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know some GPSes use the GPS Altitude when get 3D Fix to set the QNH Altitude. But I think it doesn't work like this in LK8000

As Paolo said, you can setup QNH using the basic settings, click on "glider" > Config > Basic Settings:

Edited by - parapenT1sta on 01/07/2014 12:53:00
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  16:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LK does not use GPS altitude for QNH auto-setting. I think it is a valuable option, but only as a secondary and fallback option to the "known altitude" approach we are using, which is 100% accurate. Using the basic settings setup is also quite straightforward, so the QNH is not so hard to be set up one way or another. This is why the "gps altitude" is not used, on ground, simply because we have enough options already.
In flights, setting the QNH automatically using the GPS would require to check that the altitude is not changing while we are using the measure.
On ground, this is sure. In flight this is not. But again it is just a matter of accuracy.
If during the flight the altitude difference between gps and baro altitude is very different, maybe because of a thunderstorm nearby, and the baro altitude is in use, it will be disabled (i remember I did it.. not sure when..) and an alert is given to the pilot.
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  18:18:51  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was talking about QNH auto-setting ONLY before takeoff is declared and with no movement on the ground.
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  20:16:14  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, you are right Sergio..
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  00:58:41  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't know of you want to make this feature for LK but was a good thing to have.
Go to Top of Page

Steyn
New Entry

2 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  09:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses. After going through the manual, it is made quite clear how to set the QNH or Altitude, which is easy.

Looking forward to try it out soon.

Rgds

Steyn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy