PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
PF Home | International_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Development Updates
 GpsDump: IGC-files from LK8000 are validated
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bo.
Pterodattilo

843 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  07:33:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TiGuy82

I think Max didn't make his homework!! Search before Talk!

Take it easy now. The source code. was not available from the start, so Max was right on that one. But hopefully the dust will settle soon with the publication of the source.
Go to Top of Page

Turbo
Pulcino

34 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  11:48:53  Show Profile
Judge for yourself: http://git.xcsoar.org/cgit/master/xcsoar.git/tree/src/Logger/MD5.cpp vs. http://www.gethome.no/stein.sorensen/XCSvalidation.c
Go to Top of Page

MPusz
Aquila imperiale

Poland
683 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  12:18:49  Show Profile
I tried to not participate in that discussion, but I can't resist to ask following questions:
Guys, do you hire one person for full time to search for possible XCSoar copyrights violations? Don't you have better ways to spend your free time? Did you scan all MD5 implementations to make sure they did not use your code? Maybe Microsoft or other big company will also match your scans? Are you going to sue them?
Go to Top of Page

Turbo
Pulcino

34 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  12:45:37  Show Profile
Mat, my personal opinion is that it is not worth prosecuting in this case due to the negative publicity without any gained advantages, but as I said that is just my personal opinion and I can't talk for others here. As you probably noticed there are indeed a few similarities in the code structuring but I don't want to open a lengthy discussion here about what can be copyrighted and what can't.
BTW: we are not planning to sue any of the three named companies ;)

Edited by - Coolwind on 18/03/2011 14:21:31
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  13:03:37  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage
The code is different, but very similar.

My suggestion is that we shall provide a new md5 code to Stein, and until then he does not validate xcsoar code nor ours. LK will change the key and reapply to OLC for a new validation soon.

The nabble thread is painting Stein as a pirate, distributing "non free" software (Max Kellermann has open a thread named "gpsdump is not free" on the xcsoar mailing list which also goes public).

Enough said.
Paolo

Go to Top of Page

staylo
Pulcino

49 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  17:21:48  Show Profile
quote:

The nabble thread is painting Stein as a pirate, distributing "non free" software (Max Kellermann has open a thread named "gpsdump is not free" on the xcsoar mailing list which also goes public).

Terminology is the source of confusion here. I've got to admit I've always used 'free software' to refer to 'freeware' but apparently they're different terms... as Max posted on xcsoar-devel, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software .

As for the matter at hand, my personal view is that because of the potential legal implications I'm not sure that turning a blind eye to GPL issues ever does anyone any favours, even when it's inadvertent and/or fairly harmless. It's better that any licencing concerns are addressed early.
Go to Top of Page

steins
New Entry

3 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  22:07:21  Show Profile
Wow, so much controversy.

A great part of this is about implementing the MD5 algorithm. It is not the most complicated algorithm, and if you follow the pseudocode outlined on the Wikipedia page much of the C-code is given.

Paolo can of course provide me with his MD5 code, but other than the procedure MD5_GetDigest() I can't see how else to implement the algorithm. It seems like making bad or unreadable C-code just so that it doesn't resemble the code from another implementation.

I have removed the GpsDump version and will wait until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  22:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage
Thanks Stein, we shall get back to you later on this year with our new logger keys, so you can validate LK8000.
Go to Top of Page

bo.
Pterodattilo

843 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  19:56:16  Show Profile
Hopefully xcs-developers will come to some kind of agreement with Stein (and themselves..). If so, Stein can distribute GpsDump v4.61 again, and all will be fine.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4D84B491.1020604%40gmx.de&forum_name=xcsoar-devel
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  22:11:50  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage
Please stop, I am removing these messages because I really want to close this thread.
It is useless to discuss it further.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Suggerimenti dello staff:

Note legali (italiano):
Privacy Policy Cookie Policy
Legal notice (english):
Privacy Policy Cookie Policy

PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - P.I. 05264240960