PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Development Updates
 IBOX mode about to be removed...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  19:10:12  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the next 1.24, we are seriously thinking about removing the IBOX (infoboxes) mode.
The new portrait mode in fact is very good.

Old IBOX mode

New LK mode for portrait

As you can see, the new portrait mode gives you many informations, perfectly visible, and allows you to flip the usual LK infopages.
We have tested it, there is no more reason to keep IBOXes.
A new interface for simulator mode, allowing people to navigate, changing altitude, speed etc, is on the way.

The LK portrait mode is great also on PNAs , at any resolution.

Berto
Pterodattilo

Italy
1286 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  21:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I was the last to use the IBOX mode, but the last year I too have switched to landscape and thus I am not using IBOX anymore.
Agreed to remove it.
Anyone else using it?

Marco Bertoluzza
AVM Voghera

... intanto mettilo a terra, poi parliamo dopo ...
Go to Top of Page

modellbobby
Aquilotto

323 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  06:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i love the new portrait mode. Using it on my Mio M400. BUT i use the Ibox mode in SIM, because i can change the HGPS (selecting the HGPS Box and curosr UP/DOWN) This is really good for testing and playing in sim mode
Go to Top of Page

D-HIJU
Pulcino

Germany
88 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  10:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx a lot Paolo, that's what many ipaq 3650 3850 user waiting for.

... you do a great fantastic job!!!!

Edited by - D-HIJU on 10/10/2010 14:16:04
Go to Top of Page

modellbobby
Aquilotto

323 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  11:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and 3850 :)
Go to Top of Page

Asko
Pulcino

Finland
32 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  17:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still use IBOX mode.

I use landscape mode in my iPaq314 and I have 5 boxes (IBOX) on the right. This sort of layout is good when map is "north up" (plane icon is on the center of the map and the map is almost square). By using IBOXes I can have the old XCSOAR functionality of automatically changing mode (and display) when entering final glide.

I've never liked the "normal" landscape view because of the aspect ratio (at least on 480x800 display).

The new IBOX mode might be useful if one can use portrate mode. Landscape (with IBOXes on the right) might be better for some devices and installations (i.e. USB cable to the right,...).

Asko

Go to Top of Page

peclik
Pulcino

Czech Republic
63 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  21:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use INFOBOXes for the same reasons as ASKO. Square map is much more useful for me than wide and low map.

Other reason is that I can choose what should be shown on them.

(I cannot use portrait mode, where square map is, because of polarized sunglasses which are not "compatible" with IPAQ's LCD in portrait).

Edited by - peclik on 10/10/2010 21:50:07
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  23:31:50  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I understand the reasons, and for me it is no problem to keep them.
Only, I am no more supporting them because they are not part of the LK8000 interface.
Multitargets won't work in IBOX mode, for example.
I think that assigning a "enable overlay - disable overlay toggle" to a customkey, will solve you many problems while using landscape LK mode in north up.
But I understand that, being all of these features only in the next 1.24, you can't judge the results right now.
So we shall wait 1.26 to remove IBOX, if it is the case.
Go to Top of Page

Tiberio
Falchetto

Italy
101 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  21:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Tiberio's Homepage  Click to see Tiberio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coolwind[...]
As you can see, the new portrait mode gives you many informations, perfectly visible, and allows you to flip the usual LK infopages.
[...]

You says "more information" compared to iboxed layout? or compared to old one?

I can see 2 more data-fields in iboxed layout.. I have a mislooking?

Btw, I liked very much iboxed look but I can understand... if ibox are difficult to mantain.. you have to spin off them!

Ciao and thank you for your great job

Tiberio G.- sulparapendio.altervista.org
Go to Top of Page

Cirrus73
Pulcino

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  21:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
i have done some testing, using real flights replayed at Seeyou, using then MNEA-out-option and RS232 connectet to the PNA.
The pna is a 5" 480 x 272 type similar the Wayteq 920.
Im not very happy with the bottom bar.
When you fly "track up" the Map is small in fly direction, but wide right and left the route.
But i want to see as far as possible in flight direction. The Botton bar makes the map smaller too.
I have tried Portrait mode, but portrait mode is not supportet in 480x272, some menues are not readable.

Two ideas to solve that problem:

1. Make the bottom bar switchable to the right or left side with the same functions. Something like a "right bar"

2. What do you thing of a "track right" mode additional to the "track up" mode?
The plane is on the left side of map, the Waypoint (target)on the right. The flight direction is from left to right, instead of botton to top.
I know, this seems to be very unusual. But is has a great advantage at PNAs. The foreward looking distance is maximal. You "see" more of the terrain where you want to fly to.

Ralf

Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  22:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The "track right" (or left) seems interesting to try.
Have you tried north smart also?
In any case, portrait mode in next version is fully supported and 100% usable in all resolutions.
Go to Top of Page

staylo
Pulcino

49 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  23:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tested a similar feature (north-up display but pan the screen in the glider track direction) in a build of XCSoar a while ago - I'll try and dig up the code, but it can easily be described: After some tweaking the approach I took was to sample the glider heading over the previous 5s or so and determine the range of values. If the range was below a set threshold (constant heading or low turn rate) the mapwindow would pan in the averaged direction of the glider heading, otherwise (high turn rate) the glider would be centered in the display.
Go to Top of Page

cyclone
Pulcino

Ukraine
64 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  18:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is better to make the possibility of turning the screen into portrait mode in the settings LK8000. Then you can use a wide range of devices. I use this
In the setting of the device is not possible to rotate the screen.
If IBOX not be, in landscape mode will be bad.
Go to Top of Page

cyclone
Pulcino

Ukraine
64 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  16:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paolo, I have written to you by mail, but received no answer.
Please return the screen overlay data in the mode IBOX.
Without them badly. When the data fields at the bottom of the map is low and wide.
Go to Top of Page

modellbobby
Aquilotto

323 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  16:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@cyclone

I dont understand what you want to say.

In my opinion IBOX Mode is XCSoar old style mode and so no need to mix both. You have a great portrait mode and the normal LK8000 mode. Why do you need IBOX and Overlays together?

Please explain!
Go to Top of Page

Berto
Pterodattilo

Italy
1286 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  19:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Overlay data has never been included in IBOX mode.
If you for some reasons want IBOX mode this should have nothing to do with overlay.

Portrait mode is just a different orientation of the display in "LK8000 mode".
I think it works pretty well, even if the overlay data is not properly aligned (data on the right is all the way to the top instead of being in the center of the screen).

Marco Bertoluzza
AVM Voghera

... intanto mettilo a terra, poi parliamo dopo ...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy