PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Development Updates
 Source code release of LK8000
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  16:01:25  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think 1.22 is a distributable version, and many people is asking for a public release of it. Although it is not the final version I have been thinking of, it is time to let it roll.
I can't clean up the code, having no time right now, so I will distribute the source code "as is" shortly.

I'd like to know if generally is Ok for everybody here if I release the stable versions source only.
There is a reason for this. Odd versions have bugs in it, and are generally useless for debugging being undergoing development, at least up to the latest odd version.
So it might be useful, for tracing down bugs, to have a 1.18 and 1.20 version as well.

Who is going to be interested here in the source code, apart from Mat (I know of)? Just to gather volunteers for developments!

Paolo

Allan Broadribb
Aquilotto

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  16:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not interested in the source code - so releasing it is up to you. I would like to see a continued coordinated development based upon the input from pilots on this website. Allan.

Edited by - Allan Broadribb on 01/09/2010 16:48:55
Go to Top of Page

MPusz
Aquila imperiale

Poland
683 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  17:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me, me, me ;-)

It would help to have some version control system (preferably GIT) for LK8000 so we can see the latest version of the code and help in the next release preparation. Having a history with labels of a few LK alpha and beta releases would also be useful for problems debugging.
Go to Top of Page

maxk
Pulcino

43 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  17:17:06  Show Profile  Visit maxk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MPusz
It would help to have some version control system (preferably GIT)

Once Paolo releases his sources, we at the XCSoar project will import them into our git repository into a separate branch. We will then evaluate which new features are worth merging back into the original project.

Our git repository has the full XCSoar source code history since 2005.

You are invited to base your git repository on ours.
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  17:29:31  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Paolo,

I have to tell you that's really go to listen! LK8000 is going to public release! ;)
Go to Top of Page

MPusz
Aquila imperiale

Poland
683 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  17:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Max, but I am not sure if LK8000 should be maintained together with XCSoar, because they are much different products right now. Why LK8000 has to be on the branch and not XCSoar 6.0 ;-)

If Paolo will choose to create a new VCS for LK8000 I will support him in that decision.
Go to Top of Page

maxk
Pulcino

43 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  17:38:35  Show Profile  Visit maxk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MPusz

Sorry Max, but I am not sure if LK8000 should be maintained together with XCSoar, because they are much different products right now. Why LK8000 has to be on the branch and not XCSoar 6.0 ;-)

You seem to misunderstand the nature of git. We have a repository, and you can clone ours to obtain the full code history. Each cloned repository has a life on its own, it's not maintained "together" with ours. You can do with your clone whatever you want.
Go to Top of Page

MPusz
Aquila imperiale

Poland
683 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  17:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is true. Lets wait for Paolo's decision as I am not sure if he was referring to distribute only sources snaphots together with releases, or if he is ready to provide full VCS for LK8000 sources.
Go to Top of Page

bdserv
Pulcino

26 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  18:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also interested in the source code.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

davesalmon
Pterodattilo

United Kingdom
1620 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  18:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Source code is no good to me, I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.Just sorry to see all the hastle that has been running. My XCSoar experience goes back years before Johnny Warrington got to grips with it. It was originally devised by a Brit group at, I think, the Cambridge club, and they developed it into a workable program, but still a way to go, and then seemed to drop it. A year or two later Johnny picked up the ball and developed it as stand alone and for the Triadis. I don't know the basis on which that was done, but I still have a copy of the original XCS manual, pre Australia.I would probably still be using it, if Paolo had not come up with his PNA version, and the rest is history. Keep up the good work Paolo, I don't know how you do it.
Go to Top of Page

rimaroc88
Falchetto

102 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  20:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is up to you paolo.
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  22:43:23  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The quickest thing for me right now is to deliver a snapshot.

I'd like to start up a development team as well. If only me and Mat, and maybe a third developer, will work on the headline, then we only need some simple tools.
I don't think it is important what tools right now.

By the time being, I don't want any 6.0 code to be inside LK8000.

There is a problem with a couple of DLLs distributed by XCSoar through the CVS but with no source code available. They are the dlls for the Grecords.
I don't think I can distribute the source without those DLLs as well, although XCSoar did it for some years. They were part of the CAB build. Anyway I cannot check the CVS from the place I am now, being on a very slow dialup.
Go to Top of Page

maxk
Pulcino

43 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  22:55:39  Show Profile  Visit maxk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coolwind
There is a problem with a couple of DLLs distributed by XCSoar through the CVS but with no source code available. They are the dlls for the Grecords.

Distributing GRecord.dll without source code has never been legal. Fortunately, we could solve that problem. XCSoar 6.0 doesn't need that file anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  23:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't care about the 6.0. I am talking of XCSoar 5.2.4 CAB files.
Either GPL is valid for both parties, or for nobody.
I am going to use those DLLs, being distributed in the 5.2.4.
If the 5.2.4 was illegal, than we have a problem.
Because also the 5.2.2 was illegal then. And the 5.1.9 etc. too.
And I downloaded those binaries, as many other people did.
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  23:11:08  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am talking of (home)/PPC2002 and PPC2003 directories, in the CVS, and the GRECORD.DLL they have inside. I might distribute XCsoar.tar with LK8000.dll as well.
We both know it is not ok.
Since you are one developer, I am hereby asking you to solve the problem.
Go to Top of Page

maxk
Pulcino

43 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  23:30:56  Show Profile  Visit maxk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Either GPL is valid for both parties, or for nobody.

Very true. Look at the XCSoar developer mailing list, and you will find my complaint about this issue. You know that I take licensing issues very serious.

quote:
Since you are one developer, I am hereby asking you to solve the problem.

You're talking to the wrong guy here. I did not distribute those CAB files. And this problem is already solved.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy