PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Delta/Hang Gliders
 Starting the Delta HG version
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  19:28:57  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bo. I followed the Will Wings polars then I checked what category the wing belongs.

I did on this way for only one reason... As you know on the paragliding "world" we have LOTS of manufactures and thousands of wings! When I made the polars for the Paragliding, I followed the "top" wings on the categories but I'm not a Delta pilot... :(

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME! :D
Go to Top of Page

danielvelez
Falchetto

Colombia
145 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  17:27:46  Show Profile  Visit danielvelez's Homepage  Click to see danielvelez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello there.
New here.
Just started.
Downloading beta.

Will be testing the polars for hang gliders...

Meanwhile, on the classification, names could be very important here, as gliders change a lot, eitherway you could use:

1. Topless hangglider (14.5:1)
2. Kingpost top end. (~12.5:1)
3. Kingpost intermediate: (~10:1)
4. Single surface (~7.5:1)
Go to Top of Page

danielvelez
Falchetto

Colombia
145 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  17:39:51  Show Profile  Visit danielvelez's Homepage  Click to see danielvelez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Me again...

For main manufacturers:
1. Topless gliders are
- Moyes Litespeed RS
- Icaro Laminar
- Willswing T2C
- Aeros Combat
- Airborne Climax (newer REV)
Most of them are above the 14:1 mark, but as on paragliders, hanggliders have a pilot out there exposed, giving parasitic drag to the equation, so even on the same glider, the pilot and its attitude on flight could make a difference on even 2 points on the LD.
So you could use generic polar files, but as we are use to, give the advice to all pilots that they should make their own polar doing a test flight.

So you could actually use the XCSOAR litespeed and litesport polar files as reference for topless gliders and kingpost high performance gliders, and that could be close to the real deal.

I`ve tryied to put my own polar, (T2C 144 with low profile rotor harness, really competitive) but even when the data was right, the points that I`ve selected to write the polar file gave me back a wrong ld and a too low minimum sink. so for now I`m using the litespeed.
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  21:56:37  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danielvelez

Hello there.
New here.
Just started.
Downloading beta.

Will be testing the polars for hang gliders...

Meanwhile, on the classification, names could be very important here, as gliders change a lot, eitherway you could use:

1. Topless hangglider (14.5:1)
2. Kingpost top end. (~12.5:1)
3. Kingpost intermediate: (~10:1)
4. Single surface (~7.5:1)

Can you check if any Delta polar that is available on LK8000 fits on those classifications?!
Go to Top of Page

danielvelez
Falchetto

Colombia
145 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  17:38:01  Show Profile  Visit danielvelez's Homepage  Click to see danielvelez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yep.

The polar called Litespeed works for topless hanggliders
The polar called litesport works for kingpost top end gliders.

Litespeed is the name of the top of the line hangglider for moyes (www.moyes.co.au)
Litesport is the same but for their top of the line kingposted glider.
Go to Top of Page

JFS737
Pulcino

10 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  18:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like DanielVelez' idea of Topless, Kingpost (high), Kingpost (low), and single surface. It's very general but would get you in the ballpark and his L/D's are pretty good. This is a pretty accurate way to describe the gliders we fly. As long as you can build a custom one if you so desired, this would work well.

Regards,

John

Go to Top of Page

vanis13
Pulcino

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  19:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those categories make sense. The glider tune/harness type/pilot angle combinations make such a diff when you try to get any more accurate. The option to input your own is a necessity for those of us who care.

Maybe the approach to take is like Flytec that lets you put them in but does not provide them.

A reference page / forum thread [LK8000->Delata/Hang gliders->Polars -> glider type (the categories listed above) -> specific glider] with what those polars MIGHT be would be a helpful resource for those wanting to pick the one they like and for those that have actually calculated them can post their result there also. Breaking it dowm by glider may avoid model cross confusion and if some thinks that a Sonic is like Falcon they can read both threads.

Here are some more links on the subject

http://www.davisstraub.com/Glide/polars.htm

http://buteo.szm.com/work/polar_sim.htm
Go to Top of Page

vanis13
Pulcino

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  19:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also

add a ridgid catagory

those that want to get technical, consider that wing loading (if you are heavy or light on the glider) makes a big difference too. (kinda like carying water/balast in sailplane) Except those heavy like me can't dump it for landing ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  20:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wing loading can be adjusted from Basic Settings (without touching the ballast) in 1.20.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy