PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 General Support
 PNA HW

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
oj17 Posted - 21/05/2023 : 22:44:16
The old waytech that i was using has finally died. What is best current pna hw i could put lk8000 on and also feed it external gps and power...
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
obetz Posted - 30/08/2023 : 08:03:09
I built a holder with fan, which significantly reduces the temperature.

This winter I will improve it with a USB power splitter to reduce the cable mess. Maybe I should add also a power bank...
Alf Posted - 29/08/2023 : 14:50:42
If it can be useful, I tried both the Samsung S10e and S23 in flight. Very good visibility under sunlight, especially with non-reflective tempered glass applied. Unfortunately, at least in summer, both of them get very hot (around 47°C of measured battery temperature) and in the worst cases are turned down by the system as a safety precaution. I switched back to my old Samsung A5, which does not overheat but is slower and has a worse visibility under sunlight.
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 10/08/2023 : 19:36:26
quote:
Originally posted by obetz

Thanks for the report, Marco!

I'm interested how the current AMOLED displays suffer from burn-in. Please continue to report your experience the next months!

A few years ago, my Galaxy S7 (2016 technology) had noticeable burn-in after using it for one season in the glider. Therefore I switched to a LCD device (Mate 9, needs a fan to survive warm days).

It would be great it current AMOLED displays could be used without strong burn-in.

Burn is was an issue in the past, but I have the impression the display technology has advanced a lot and right now it is not really an issue anymore.. I have been doing some pretty long flights with the Galaxy A34, at 100% brightness for hours, but it does not seem to care about that at all, display is just fine.
obetz Posted - 26/07/2023 : 15:58:37
Thanks for the report, Marco!

I'm interested how the current AMOLED displays suffer from burn-in. Please continue to report your experience the next months!

A few years ago, my Galaxy S7 (2016 technology) had noticeable burn-in after using it for one season in the glider. Therefore I switched to a LCD device (Mate 9, needs a fan to survive warm days).

It would be great it current AMOLED displays could be used without strong burn-in.
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 25/07/2023 : 13:22:18
quote:
Originally posted by Marco from Hangar 5

I got a Galaxy A34 from my work last week, seems pretty good for LK8000 with a nice big and bright display (1000 Nits, high contrast, slightly better than the Nokia 8), runs Android 13.. I hope I can do a flight test coming weekend.

Past few weeks I used my Pixel 7 smartphone, works well, but I have trouble charging on board and the use of wifi serial bridge is cumbersome. Working on removing the wifi and replace with Bt and also installing a 15 watt (5V/3A) stand alone USB power supply.

I have been flying with the Galaxy A34 the past few weeks and it is awesome! Display is very well readable in sunlight, make sure the brightness settings are on Automatic and the slider all the way to the right at 100%

Wifi removed, using a Soartronic Bt adapter instead, I have not been flying with this setup yet but on the ground it worked just fine yesterday, see my other topic for details.

The Rayonics USB 4.0 fast charger is awesome, it charges the Galaxy from 50% SOC back to 100% in about an hour, while running LK8000 and display on full bright. No interference with the KRT2 radio at all (note the radio and power supply are 50Cm apart). See seperate topic for details.

https://rayonics.nl/inbouw-usb-a-usb-c.html
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 04/07/2023 : 13:38:16
I got a Galaxy A34 from my work last week, seems pretty good for LK8000 with a nice big and bright display (1000 Nits, high contrast, slightly better than the Nokia 8), runs Android 13.. I hope I can do a flight test coming weekend.

Past few weeks I used my Pixel 7 smartphone, works well, but I have trouble charging on board and the use of wifi serial bridge is cumbersome. Working on removing the wifi and replace with Bt and also installing a 15 watt (5V/3A) stand alone USB power supply.
bambuko Posted - 11/06/2023 : 16:57:16
quote:
Originally posted by oj17
..we have settled on a Nokia 8...

just be careful - not all Nokia8 are the same...
brunotl Posted - 01/06/2023 : 10:33:08
could be alternative to XCNAV device : https://xcvario.com/product-categorie/navigation/
oj17 Posted - 31/05/2023 : 21:47:46
thanks for all the replies - we have settled on a Nokia 8 to replace the old waytech
brunotl Posted - 23/05/2023 : 15:01:53
quote:
Originally posted by oj17

ok of course someone is already providing 'standard' HW https://en.xcnav.de/product-page/xcnav-edition...but for 1000 euros - cant the community do better for non-profit...

XCNav device has a BlanView display, it's probably the best you can found regarding sunlight readability (except B&W eReader).

if you want cheapest one, the only way is to use a mass-market device (smartphone, tablet, eReader ...) but this kind of device is designed to surf on the web as primary usage,

all in all, it's always a compromise story ..

brunotl Posted - 23/05/2023 : 14:33:31
my device for flight is a "Ulefone Armor 3" (https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/d4e34cd3) and my wife fly with a "Blackview BV9500 Plus" (https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/29bc51ad)

reason of this choice is simple : no external power and no hacks needed for a day of flight

currently the only donation we got are devices to allow to make Com Driver, i pay for all other cost and i'm only a volunteer... two years ago i've setup a "sponsoring" on my github account to pay website cost, but for now the amount of donation is 0 ...

my free time is limited, i already do all i can, so to do more, we need volunters ...
oj17 Posted - 22/05/2023 : 22:52:48
ok of course someone is already providing 'standard' HW https://en.xcnav.de/product-page/xcnav-edition...but for 1000 euros - cant the community do better for non-profit...
oj17 Posted - 22/05/2023 : 22:30:15
All I get the idea of freeware shareware - but surely the best thing for LK8000 is to identify a standard HW platform similar to oudie - that we can buy direct from the (chinese) supplier at a Fraction of the cost of an oudie.. we must have someone in this community with contacts to a HW supplier. By all means continue with an android version - but a standard hw seems best rather than having to chase down new phones every 3 years.
I read somewhere the forum has to be ported and needs to cover costs..the website could be updated to sell the standard HW to cover website and forum costs - if their is a surplus donate to charity....
davesalmon Posted - 22/05/2023 : 18:57:28
The Nokia 8 phone works well and is sunlight readable, and not expensive if bought refurbished.
brunotl Posted - 22/05/2023 : 14:14:23
hard to answer, lot of good android device can be found on market, so, that depends of your needs...

PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy