PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Change requests and new features list
 Borgelt B800 and Dynamis

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Soren Posted - 28/07/2021 : 22:52:19
I am using the Borgelt B800 vario.

The current interface in LK8000 to Borgelt Instruments (B50) only supports the exchange of McCready settings. Historically there seems to have been some doubt about the data format.

I recently tested XCSoar with my Borgelt B800 and the exchange of data worked flawlessly. MC, bugs and ballast were exchanged without any problems.

I find it a pity that XCSoar beats us on the Borgelt interface.

Can't we make a fix?

Best regards from DK

Soren
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Soren Posted - 13/08/2021 : 08:40:02
Dear brunotl,
currently only Vario and McCready are passed from the vario to my PDA (LK8000). No ballast and no bugs. I also believe the TAS (True Air Speed) and the OAT (Outside Air Temperature) is important. I have seen them being passed from the LX instruments.
I will try your suggested workaround with the two devices - thanks for the idea :-)

Best regards

Soren
brunotl Posted - 12/08/2021 : 23:16:56
thanks,

$PB550 is already handled by current B50 driver, and we also have Cai302 driver so it could be simple to bind the second with the first...
we just need to find time to work on ...

in mean time you can try to configure 2 device on same port the first with B50 driver the second with Cai302, it should work...
Soren Posted - 12/08/2021 : 20:18:26
Hi Brunotl,
over the past days, I have had several conversations with Borgelt Instruments in Australia.
I am now pretty confident that I have the overview of their protocol which I am happy to share with you.
Inward bound (from PDA to Vario) Borgelt Instruments follows the Cambridge 302 protocol 1:1.
Outward bound (from vario to PDA) Borgelt uses their own proprietary protocol. They send all relevant info in a proprietary NMEA message with the header $PBB50 once a second. The message consists of 10 fields which I have documented in a separate document (PDF). I have also created a log of the serial monitor, I attached to the vario. I varied the MC settings, the efficiency and the water ballast. You can find my settings in the comment column of the Excel sheet. I will add the documents to ticket 1549 as you indicated.
Hope this is some kind of help.
Best regards
Soren
Soren Posted - 08/08/2021 : 21:44:36
I agree.
I will give it a try and get back to you as soon as I have news.
Right now I am goint to apply a serial monitor to check the actual output.
It's got to be simple. Only 3 numbers :-)

Best regards

Soren

Soren
brunotl Posted - 08/08/2021 : 21:33:23
it's simpler to ask to manufacturer ...
Soren Posted - 08/08/2021 : 20:34:30
Hi brunotl,
would it be possible to reverse engineer the protocol from the XCSoar code? I have heard from a fellow glider pilot who knows Max Kellermann, that they (XCSoar) apparently used the Cambridge 302 protocol.
I can try to capture the data stream coming the B800 and reverse engineer the protocol if you think that would be beneficial? I can the compare it with my settings and make a full sweep of the possible parameters.
I really, really would love to get it working. I put forward a bottle of your favourite spirits, if you can get it working :-)

Best regards

Soren

quote:
Originally posted by brunotl

first step :
we need the protocol documentation... can be added to the ticket : https://github.com/LK8000/LK8000/issues/1549

brunotl Posted - 08/08/2021 : 20:23:53
first step :
we need the protocol documentation... can be added to the ticket : https://github.com/LK8000/LK8000/issues/1549
Soren Posted - 08/08/2021 : 20:17:37
Please comment on the topic.

How comes we don't have a full Borgelt B50/B800 interface (MC, Bugs & Ballast) when XCSoar does?

Can't we use the open source code from XCSoar to engineer our own code for the full interface?

I have freinds in Australia and the US reporting that the new B800 (Dynamis or B2) is quickly gaining popularity and people choosing to fly with it are forced to fly with XCSoar because of the rather poor interface in LK8000.

Personally I shall be happy to work as a beta tester. Unfortunately I can't program it myself.

Best regards

Soren

PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy