PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Change requests and new features list
 Add contour lines option in terrain colors (DONE)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mana Posted - 17/10/2019 : 16:27:10
I’ve switched to LK8000 from Top Hat Soaring (xcsoar fork) on Android and the one thing I miss is the terrain display with contour lines, that I find easier to read than all the color schemes I tried on LX8000. Would it be possible to add an option “Contour lines” in the screen “4 Terrain Display”?

Example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1shLpn0o0tSLoLZ4ua_TR_u6qPQS5o9pX/view?usp=sharing
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mana Posted - 08/04/2020 : 16:25:33
Thank you Bruno. Is there any documentation or general directions on how to modify or create a set of terrain colors (ICAO / Imhof etc)?
brunotl Posted - 07/04/2020 : 21:38:33
to understand the algorithm, start here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marching_squares#Isoband

"GetColor(height, -64)" is the darkest color you can get, to change it you need to look arround ColorTable() method..
mana Posted - 07/04/2020 : 19:44:09
Merci beaucoup Bruno, I appreciate very much the changes you made.

I believe that you pick a color darker than the color band at that height (it’s not the same color for all contour lines anymore) and that makes it an order of magnitude more readable!

What would I have to tweak to make it a bit darker? I tried changing the arguments in GetColor(height, -64) in the function GetIsoLineColor but the results were pretty bad, though I may have tried wrong numbers :-)

I also tried understanding if I could change the width but I failed to understand what the following refer to:
h1: top left value / h2: top value / h3: left value

What would you suggest to get it a tiny bit wider?

Merci encore
Mana
mana Posted - 07/04/2020 : 00:03:58
Thank you Bruno, I just saw your response, I'll try tomorrow.

BTW, is there a way to get an email notification when there's an update to a thread? I couldn't find a "subscribe to this thread" button.
brunotl Posted - 03/04/2020 : 10:54:39
xcsoar line is not really thinner, only ligne from bottom-left to up-right are thinner... the true difference is line colors.

i've made some improvement, you can retry with last upstream/master and let me know what do you think about.
mana Posted - 28/03/2020 : 19:03:30
Hello Bruno, I recompiled with contour enabled for all zoom levels, but the result isn’t very readable as you indicated. Is there any chance that you could integrate the rendering used on xcsoar?

Some background: I resumed flying gliders 2 years ago after a break of 25 years and I discovered with amazement the progress that had been made on flight computers – congratulations to you and to the community! I started using Top Hat (xcsoar fork) because it was quite simple, then after some time I moved to lk8000 that better meets my needs (some of the features that I miss on xcsoar are multitarget rotate, the page of landables sorted by distance or ReqEff and the airspace side views).

But in my progression I’m now exploring the southern Alps in areas that I am not familiar with and understanding where I am and the terrain ahead is critical to me. So I switched back to Top Hat because of that, but I miss LK8000!

Please see the picture below, it lists from top to bottom in ICAO color rendering: xcsoar, lk8000 and lk8000 that I recompiled with contours. I assume that the main reason why it is more readable on xcsoar is that the lines are thinner but I’m not sure it’s the only difference?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zx57tv6v0b0l5m7/xcsoar%20lk8000%20lk800_contour%20ICAO.jpg?dl=0

So, would it be possible to add an option to get the same rendering as on xcsoar, or could you point me to the changes required in the code in case they are simple?
brunotl Posted - 06/03/2020 : 10:49:03
quote:
Originally posted by mana

cool, thanks. Now I have a reason to build it. It's been years since I last did that :-)

BTW, out of curiosity what is the reason that you limited it to those zoom settings (vs xcsoar that doesn't seem to limit it)?

because it seem's useless with zoom to small or to big ( to much or not enought line for a good reading)
mana Posted - 06/03/2020 : 09:00:07
cool, thanks. Now I have a reason to build it. It's been years since I last did that :-)

BTW, out of curiosity what is the reason that you limited it to those zoom settings (vs xcsoar that doesn't seem to limit it)?
brunotl Posted - 05/03/2020 : 20:54:51
https://github.com/LK8000/LK8000/blob/3a8d19e2b03bac132fed34b9ea76d1750e6fd401/Common/Source/MapDraw/DrawTerrain.cpp
cf line 869
mana Posted - 05/03/2020 : 18:23:01
thank you @brunotl then :-)

What would it take to have it available for other zoom levels than 2km to 100m? Is the problem that it is too CPU intensive?

Is there a config file where I could change the max zoom level manually (even if I had to recompile) or does it require lots of coding?
AlphaLima Posted - 02/03/2020 : 18:58:11
It wasn't me, the thanks go to Bruno!
mana Posted - 02/03/2020 : 18:04:33
Hi AlphaLima, I never thought of coming back here to thank you for the addition of the contour lines in 7.1. It is awesome and my default setting, thank you!

What would it take to have it available for other zoom levels than 2km to 100m? Is the problem that it is too CPU intensive?

Is there a config file where I could change the max zoom level manually (even if I had to recompile) or does it require lots of coding?

PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy