PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 General Support
 creating a waypoint based on lat and long in fligh

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
evanspj Posted - 22/12/2019 : 10:59:37
Hi,

Is there a way to enter the lat and long of a waypoint directly into LK8000 while flying?

My current workaround to doing this is to MENU > SCREEN VIEWS > PAN ON > drag map so the lat and long is shown under the cross hair > LOCATION MARKER > and then use the NAV menu to look up the marker I just created and then GOTO. It is pretty hard to do this when bouncing around in a paramotor.

Thanks for any advice,
Peter
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ecoflight Posted - 10/02/2020 : 18:33:59
Thank you so much alpha lima that kind of file is just what I needed!. One last question please. One of those waypoints I created in pan mode has a name that starts with mk11* and somehow I added it to my airports waypoint file by accident. When I try to delete it I get the message this is a virtual read-only waypoint.
AlphaLima Posted - 09/02/2020 : 20:37:53
No problem!
For the waypoints a new file is generated in the _waypoint directory, (named with the date LKyyyymmdd.cup).
You can simply add this file to the waypoint files. Fortuneatly we have now up to nine files. ;-)

You can delete the waypoint in Config page 21 waypoints.
Config2/3 -> LK8000 Setup -> System Setup -> 21 Waypoint Edit
Ecoflight Posted - 09/02/2020 : 20:10:53
Thanks Alpha Lima. Even though all screen menus disappear in full screen pan mode, short tap on lower right corner brings them back.

Re my first two questions, is there any way to save waypoints created in flight in pan mode? ( I suspect the answer is no and they disappear when you exit the program, but if there is some way you can think of please let me know. Maybe in future could add a way in the waypoint details to save it to a specified file). Also, would be good to be able to delete an in flight waypoint too, in case you marked it wrong and don't want to look at it for the rest of your flight. Thanks, Kristin

AlphaLima Posted - 07/02/2020 : 21:20:20
1.) short tap in the button right corner, Menue function is always there, also in full screen.
2.) Not sure if I understood what you want. But maybe this will help you
Menue -> Config 2/3 -> LK8000 setup -> Config page 3 Map Display -> Trail length = long
Ecoflight Posted - 07/02/2020 : 20:15:31
Two other related questions are

Sometimes I get into full-screen pan mode accidentally how do I get out of it?

And on the logger replay I would just like a simple flight trace. is there any way to do that in LK 8000 without exporting the igc file to another application, which I would rather not do because in LK 8000 I want to see the flight trace overlaid on top of the Marine Park airspace.

Muchas gracias, salvemos la vaquita marina

Kristin
Ecoflight Posted - 07/02/2020 : 20:14:57
Hi AlphaLima

I have another question about adding waypoints in flight. I apologize this might not be very interesting for many pilots but it is very important for wildlife conservation general aviation support.
You may remember helping me set up Marine Park airspace for patrols. Now we want to collect data on the illegal fishing boats we see. Ideally we would like to remain within LK 8000 navigation app while doing this. Because it is distracting to keep switching apps in flight.

So in flight I can pan around and put a location marker for a boat. It's nice because LK8000 (I am using updated beta version) gives me the distance to the boat and its coordinates under details, which is perfect the information I need. But I want to save it!

But my questions are

1) can I save these in flight waypoints in the unique waypoint file that is associated with that day. I know these in-flight location markers disappear after you exit, so is there any way to save them in a file that will also not contaminate my main waypoint file which is airports.

2) if I look at the details for an in-flight location marker and I think it is not accurate is there a way to delete it? for example I look out I see a boat I make a location marker, I look at the details, it says 5 miles away and I say no it's closer than that and I want to get rid of it and redo it.

AlphaLima Posted - 20/01/2020 : 07:55:59
quote:
Originally posted by evanspj

And the reason I want to create a new waypoint either in flight or in the field when I only have access to LK8000 on my phone is that our group might decide to fly to a known airstrip for which we have the decimal degrees LAT and LONG. I can flip between LK8000 and Gooogle maps to navigate to it but I would rather do it all in LK8000

Thx,
are you aware of adding a waypoint in PAN mode?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFjugVyYpc
look to the lower left corner and you find LAT/LON while moving as well.
evanspj Posted - 20/01/2020 : 01:12:39
@AlphaLima, thanks for your excellent support and LK8000
AlphaLima Posted - 23/12/2019 : 08:47:54
OK,
the format depends on th Lat/Lon Format setting on config page 9
Config2/3 -> LK8000 Setup -> System Setup -> 9 Units
evanspj Posted - 23/12/2019 : 07:57:47
Thanks @AlphaLima.

I had not seen the Config2/3 -> LK8000 Setup -> System Setup -> 21 Waypoint Edit option before ... what format is used to enter the Lat and long? the example I see is
E 149d 486m
S 35d 2156m

And the reason I want to create a new waypoint either in flight or in the field when I only have access to LK8000 on my phone is that our group might decide to fly to a known airstrip for which we have the decimal degrees LAT and LONG. I can flip between LK8000 and Gooogle maps to navigate to it but I would rather do it all in LK8000

Thanks for your assistance,
Peter
AlphaLima Posted - 22/12/2019 : 13:54:39
But why do you need to enter a waypoint in flight?

If you want to share a (meeting) waypoint with a team mate use the Team function! If it is configured correctky it is just entering three or four letters.
(I used it quite often to exchange the wave entry point with my friends)
AlphaLima Posted - 22/12/2019 : 12:20:04
Config2/3 -> LK8000 Setup -> System Setup -> 21 Waypoint Edit

PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy