PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 General Support
 LK Alarms Speech Synthesis

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andydasmith Posted - 02/06/2019 : 00:28:46
I've built an arduino stepper-motor vario and would like to use it's audio to make announcements of LK alarms. I think I can modify the LK SOUND_TABLE.TXT to output NMEA serial words that are recognized by my vario and make the correct announcement. I'm most interested in AIRSPACE_WARN, AIRSPACE_INSIDE and FLARM targets at first.
My problem is that I'm not able to determine by reading the SOUND_TABLE.TXT file which alarm does what. Here's a few lines from the file:

DROPMARKER=BSD 784 100 392 100...//ok, makes sense, Bluefly goes beep!
LK_3HITONES=BSD 784 100
LK_AIRSPACEV3=BSD 784 100......//Inside?
LK_AIRSPACE=BSD 784 100........//NEAR?

Can't find which are the alarms for FLARM targets

LK_SONAR_H5=BSD 784 100./think this is for airspace/altitude proximity
LK_T1=BSD 784 100...//Target 1?
LK_T2=BSD 784 100.../Targets 2?
LK_T3=BSD 784 100
LK_T4=BSD 784 100
LK_T5=BSD 784 100
LK_T8=BSD 784 100

I've tried looking through the code without success
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
andydasmith Posted - 07/06/2019 : 18:29:30
Here's the BOM

Micro Audio Amplifier Module Board Mono AMP Module HIFI DIY LM386 DC 5V-12V

X25.168 X27.168 Instrument Cluster Stepper Motor Gauge

8ohm 8#937; 1W 2W Audio Speaker Stereo Woofer Trumpet Horn Loudspeaker 40mm

A3967 Module EasyDriver Shield Stepping Stepper Motor Driver For Arduino

LM2940CT-12 LM2940CT 12V TO-220 Voltage Regulator

RJ45 Network Ethernet 8P 8C Female Socket Connector 8Pin PCB Mount

Arduino Nano ATmega328P V3.0 with CH340G 5V 16M compatible + Headers

ADXL345 3 Axes Digital Acceleration Accelerometer Tilt Module GY-291 Arduino

12 x 5.5cm DoubleSide Protoboard Circuit Universal DIY Prototype PCB Board (cut from larger piece)

Stainless Bulkhead Fitting Barb Hose Tube Connector

GY-63 Mini Size MS5611 High-Resolution Digital Pressure Transducer

100kohm potentiometer

470 microFarad electrolytic capacitor, >20v
andydasmith Posted - 07/06/2019 : 17:58:00
Hi brunotl, I started by trying to drive the X25 stepper motor directly but couldn't get it to work reliably. An Arduino Uno was able to drive the motor slowly but the Nano couldn't manage much more than a few twitches. The Easydriver is built for the job and can supply 12v to the motor, even then you must be careful not to overdrive else steps will be missed. To get fast accurate response a stepper motor is a good solution.
Yes, I'll publish the firmware (.ino). I'm a hacker and would like to see others develop the platform further. To try to stop pilots landing our K21s with the brakes on hard and tipping the glider onto it's nose I'm planning to use one of the spare digital inputs and the speech function to warn that the wheel brake is on. I'm sure that there will be lots of ideas like that.
I'll put a BOM on this thread soon, the firmware is too long for this forum but its only using half of the Nano328P programming space.
brunotl Posted - 07/06/2019 : 11:10:48
very nice !

two question :
- why don't drive X25 stepper directly from nano ?
- have you planned to publish firmware source ?
AlphaLima Posted - 07/06/2019 : 10:35:59
Guys you're OT!
ernst-dieter Posted - 07/06/2019 : 10:06:21
Not bad for a start, but a BOM and the ino would also be helpful
andydasmith Posted - 06/06/2019 : 15:56:50
Here's a couple of pics of another unit with 3d printed front and back. These are joined by aluminium case halves. If anyone wants to make one I've got some meter faces printed which stick to a plastic plate. The needle is cut from a piece of plastic straw (get them before they're banned!). I tried to make a drawing with Fritzing but it was taking too long. Here's a pic of a sketch for now.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/849l2qgk76m3a1g/20190603_142050%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xl8dpbrr6iszra/20190603_142129%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fot4hloppey13k/20190606_141128%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0
ernst-dieter Posted - 05/06/2019 : 08:16:10
Andy, very nice!

Cold you please put an idiot proof description for reproduction purposes anywhere on the net if nothing to be said against it. I think a lot of clubs (mine too) would be very grateful!
andydasmith Posted - 03/06/2019 : 18:15:17
Hi Earnst, I'm uploading a video to YouTube now, its a bit shaky but it shows what I've been up to. The vario has a 5611 pressure transducer, ADXL345 accelerometer, X25 stepper motor, Easydriver stepper motor driver, Arduino Uno ATmega328P and LM386 audio amplifier. These are all breakout boards from ebay and they are connected by jumper wires on a circuit board.
I designed it for our club because the available commercial varios have lots of features which are difficult for pilots to use in the air. It has no volume control because that was the most common complaint from pilots, they need a manual to turn existing varios up! It beeps when you are in lift and burps when the sink is more than 4kts. If you are cruising its silent, but these numbers can be changed easily in the open-source software. I've been using it in my Ventus 2cxt for a couple of years and I find it does the job. I fly block speeds and just speed up when I hear burps and slow down when I hit lift. The accelerometer gives early indication of lift and allows the sink indicated when pulling G to be eliminated. The gain can be adjusted in the software as it can be slightly different for each installation. The vario has both Kalman and second-order damping.
Having an Arduino allows access to the huge library of open source software so I've added speech synthesis. This makes an LK8000/Kobo system attractive as it lacks sound. It looks like the airspace announcements in LK8000 are now working.
I fly in the Cotswold hills in the UK at the Cotswold Gliding Club, so its called the Cotswold Club vario. Its open source and the 3d files for the front and back panels are available.
Here's the link for the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTBqkI74g3Y&feature=youtu.be

ernst-dieter Posted - 03/06/2019 : 07:51:03
Andy, could you give us some details about your project please
andydasmith Posted - 02/06/2019 : 18:36:44
Hi AlphaLima, thanks for the quick reply. I've got my system working by editing the SOUND_TABLE.TXT file. I have speech announcements for DROPMARKER, GPSNOFIX working from KOBO/LK8000. I'm hoping that airspace proximity announcements will work, code is written but I haven't been able to test yet.

At our club we are hoping to fit our club gliders with low-cost vario navigation systems. The stepper-motor audio vario is open-source (code and 3d printer files) with components costing around 20 euros. It uses an MS5611 and ADXL345 accelerometer. I've been flying with it for around 200 hrs. GPS is provided by T-beam SoftRF Flarms connected to Kobos. Sound alerts would be very desirable to complete the system.

I looked at the XCS code and found GCE events for AIRSPACE_NEAR and AIRSPACE_INSIDE so I'm hopeful that LK_AIRSPACEV3 or LK_AIRSPACE events will work.
I also found gce events FLARM_TRAFFIC and FLARM_NEWTRAFFIC
I see that FLARM targets are displayed in great detail by LK8000, I would just like to be able to draw the attention of pilots to them to improve safety.

Would it be possible for me to request an LK8000 event for NEW FLARM TRAFFIC?
AlphaLima Posted - 02/06/2019 : 08:53:35
There is no Alarms for Flarm targets. Trafic alarms is a job for dedicated FLARM devices not for a Navigation device.
But you can use the FLARM NMEA Stream for Alarm signaling.

PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy