PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 kobo and wi-fi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bambuko Posted - 13/05/2019 : 17:48:37
How do you guys cope with kobo switching off the wi-fi after 2hrs?
My Clara HD stops the wi-fi exactly after 120 minutes and the only way to get it going afterwards, is to switch kobo off and on again.
I've seen it being reported on other models of kobo as well (and not just LK8000, XCSoar as well).
I am using latest firmware on kobo (4.14.12777)
This firmware BTW addresses the issue of not being able to connect to intranet that was the problem in the past, but still has a "batery saving" (as default) switching off wi-fi after 2hrs.

I have tried mods to .conf file suggested on mobileread forum:

and it didn't make blind bit of difference

wi-fi still stops working after 120 minutes...
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bambuko Posted - 22/05/2019 : 12:56:05
quote:
maybe you can open issues for that in SoftRF project...

have raised an issue and here is a reply from Linar Yusupov:

https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/issues/58#issuecomment-499023616

brunotl Posted - 21/05/2019 : 10:28:31
quote:
Originally posted by andydasmith

Untested and unsupported for LK

why ?

looking the script the only XCS specific things found inside is a script path ...

an interesting test could be to start "udhcpc" with "-B" flag instead of "-q" for see if dhcp lease is renewed automaticaly...
cf : https://udhcp.busybox.net/README.udhcpc

2 hours SoftRF dhcp lease is pitty, could be 1 day and that solve the problem ...
maybe you can open issues for that in SoftRF project...
andydasmith Posted - 21/05/2019 : 00:12:19
Untested and unsupported for LK
Scripts were written for XCSoar because it has the capability to bring up the FLARM radar on the map screen when a contact is received by the t-beam. This is very useful because we don't have an audio warning yet on the t-beam. If it's possible to do the same on LK it might be useful.
bambuko Posted - 18/05/2019 : 21:38:46
Thank you Andy (and JW)
Let's hope I can follow your instructions

Had a quick look and...
AA_wifi and wifi_daemon will have to be modified to work with LK (they are XCSoar specific) before we can see if wifi_restart works as hoped for...
andydasmith Posted - 18/05/2019 : 21:24:03
I've put the scripts on the XCSoar forum.
https://forum.xcsoar.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3356&p=19850#p19850
Good Luck!
bambuko Posted - 18/05/2019 : 20:16:57
Thank you,
What is the format of this script?
AFAIK, unless it is simple text, you can only attach a link to it being held elsewhere...
andydasmith Posted - 18/05/2019 : 20:10:54
JW has agreed to release the scripts.
Can't see a way of attaching them to this message. It would be better to have them in one place so others could access them
bambuko Posted - 18/05/2019 : 17:55:48
Interestingly, when my kobo is connected to Android phone, using LKNET, it runs happily beyond 2hrs (now getting past 5hrs...).
So... it would seem that it is not kobo alone that is the source of the problem? rather kobo/SoftRF connection?

Don't know what's different for kobo/LKNET that makes wi-fi work better than kobo/SOftRF?

This whole thing is getting more weird by the minute...
brunotl Posted - 16/05/2019 : 17:42:49
quote:
Originally posted by andydasmith

Ok, I can ask JW but he's very busy and I'm sure he would like the scripts to be used as is....he wont want to maintain them.
Before you go this route it might be a good idea to check that the problem has not been fixed in the latest t-beam s/w (rc6). It's my understanding that the lease was limited to 2hrs in that build.

by default kobo don't have 'auto renew' of dhcp lease...
bambuko Posted - 16/05/2019 : 16:09:41
LK8000 (on Android phone) and SoftRF have now been running on my bench (connected by wi-fi) for more than 4 hrs without the slightest problem.
I think we can safely conclude that wi-fi problems are only caused by Kobo (nothing to do with t-beam firmware, although I have not tested it with RC5, only RC6).
Connecting via USB (in an answer to your suggestion on https://gitter.im/lyusupov/SoftRF) in parallel with hardwired Bluefly vario is not an option for me,
plus I am not sure that it is even possible on LK8000?
andydasmith Posted - 16/05/2019 : 11:01:13
That's interesting to know that the disconnects occur with rc6 as well. I flew for over 50hrs using an Android phone as backup logger running rc5 with no problems. I tested it on the bench with Kobo/XCSoar and phone/XCSoar both listening on wifi. The phone also stopped receiving after 2hrs but reconnected 30 secs later automatically.
bambuko Posted - 16/05/2019 : 09:13:10
I understand very well that I am dependent on good will and expertise of volunteers for this project and use everything as is.
My t-beam is RC6, but not sure that it is anything to do with it?
I will run SoftRF with LK8000 on android to confirm that problem is limited to kobo (just a sanity check).
andydasmith Posted - 15/05/2019 : 23:49:36
Ok, I can ask JW but he's very busy and I'm sure he would like the scripts to be used as is....he wont want to maintain them.
Before you go this route it might be a good idea to check that the problem has not been fixed in the latest t-beam s/w (rc6). It's my understanding that the lease was limited to 2hrs in that build.
bambuko Posted - 15/05/2019 : 15:42:15
Thanks Andy,
that would be great! (and not just for me but for others who are trying to use kobo with wi-fi).
The only question in my mind is - will it work?
Your Touch 2 is Kobo Mark 4
my Clara HD is Kobo Mark 7

I am puzzled though, because in this thread:
https://www.postfrontal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8142&whichpage=1
nobody mentiones any problems with wi-fi dropping?

and yet, when I was talking to Rakuten, the message was:
quote:
... this is a default feature, I will take this as a feedback and let our development team know so they can take it under consideration...
andydasmith Posted - 15/05/2019 : 14:01:24
Hi Bambuko, I had this same problem but was lucky enough to be in Benalla with John Wharrington who wrote some scripts to enable my Kobo Touch 2 to reconnect after 2hrs. These worked perfectly on the bench but I was not able to confirm completely in flight as I had a couple of freezes of the Touch 2 in flight while running with the scripts. This was probably due to sunlight, my Aura 2 seems to be unaffected. Also I could not get a stable wifi connection with LK8000 on my Touch 2 so used XCSoar. When I returned to the UK I updated my t-beam FLARM s/w to rc6 which enabled me to connect via usb to the Kobo. If you still want to go the Kobo wifi route I can ask John if he's willing to let the scripts be distributed

PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy