PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 General Support
 5.0" PNA Devices from China (Ebay)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
spillpot Posted - 26/07/2010 : 16:23:57
I'm a new user of the forum and an early solo gliding pilot currently flying my clubs K6cr. I've been using XCSoar on a Navigo 3.5" PNA successfully and have just loaded LK8000 v1.20d. My initial impression is that the interface is better and LK8000 looks like an excellent piece of software. Looking forward to the release of 1.22

I'm looking to find a larger screen device and have seen a multiptude of 5.0" PNA devices on ebay, all originating in China. I've also read various posts on this forum where people have questioned operation on CE 6.0.

There are 2 devices I'm interested in. They look the same but seem to have different hardware specs.
The first http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320561403919&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
The second
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290456717287&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

From what I've read LK8000 is more likley to work on a CE 5.0 device than 6.0, although success on 6.0 seems to be high. So do you think I should go for the higher specification device (faster processor, Win CE 6.0, slightly smaller size, more internal RAM and an integrated 2GB internal Flash memory) or play safer and get the Win CE 5.0 device?

Also interested to hear from anyone who's used one of these with LK8000 and how you unlocked it.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
davesalmon Posted - 05/08/2010 : 21:41:17
Flew today with the Galileo for the first time. I think it is slightly less visible in sunlight (there wasn't much) than the iPAQ 314, but it was still useable. I have noticed a few slight anomalies on the trace, but not as bad as the 314, but if anyone can help, I would really like to know how to connect my Holux BT gps.
n677cs Posted - 05/08/2010 : 17:33:15
I have LK8000 installed on the flash memory (4 gig) on this unit, the system is setup to use second party GPS software so all I have to do is assign the EXE file to the navigation button. Simple and easy. LK runs fine this way. I have also run from the SD card this works good as well, there is a slight difference in speed during startup, once it's running there is no noticeable difference. My earlier post has the e-bay link for the GPS I’m using.
davesalmon Posted - 05/08/2010 : 09:13:17
I see that in the new manual Paolo mentions moving the executables up a level if using the main memory. I had to do it with an SD card installation on the Galileo. I assume this is because it is designed to look for 3rd party navigation software on the card, not in the internal memory. So far I haven't found my way into the internal. The supplied demo nav program is on the SD card as well. Not sure I like these micro SDs, they are a bit small to handle.
n677cs Posted - 05/08/2010 : 02:56:39
I'm using this one from e-bay works very good, 5" screen 800 x 480, screen only ok in direct sun. I bulit a black plastic sun shade it's 2" deep on the top and both sides works well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4G-HD-800-480-Bluetooth-5-GPS-3D-map-128-RAM-Wince-6-/270616104043?cmd=ViewItem&pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item3f01fa0c6b
davesalmon Posted - 04/08/2010 : 16:37:28
I've got my Galileo, and indoors it seems as bright as my 314, however UK weather is poor so don't know when I shall be able to fly with it.
To get it to work with LK8000, I've had to move the 2 executables up a level, into the same (top) level as the LK8000 folder. I don't know if it needs the CELauncher and the dlls, but they are there as well.
However I can't connect it to my Holux GPSlim 236. It has found it, it thinks it's a phone and I've given it the pass key but will not connect. Any ideas please?
Dave
Coolwind Posted - 31/07/2010 : 22:36:15
That's bad news..
smielek00 Posted - 31/07/2010 : 16:37:39
Galileo is useless. Indoors looks nice, unfortunately in sunlight screen is not usable.
OK for car nav only.
Allan Broadribb Posted - 30/07/2010 : 16:49:33
I continue to use my Mio Moov 500 which I find completely usable in the cockpit. I have a flexible mount on the right side of the cockpit and the screen is about 18" in front of and a little lower than my eyes. If you mount the GPS low down then it will have to be angled up towards your eyes which will cause it to reflect more sunlight and reduce visibility. The screen visibility varies depending on its position relative to the sun and sometimes I will adjust the flexible mount which will make it clearer but to be quite honest it is never perfect but always adequate. Personally I think the 7" display is too big for the cockpit and if you want a panel mounted touch screen GPS then you had better have long arms. I believe Paolo has already said that the search for the perfect screen in sunlight is akin to the search for the Holy Grail. I am not recommending the Mio Moov 500, which I have used for 2 years, as I believe there are now better screens out there - I am simply saying you should pick one that others have experience with and recommend - and start using LK8000. Good luck
Coolwind Posted - 30/07/2010 : 00:49:10
So far I could only spot 6.5 inches devices, but it seems that 5" are rare.
XP would be better, but if there is no touchscreen for me it is the same to have linux or xp, since I have to spend a month to make some buttons work. It is not a software problem, it is an hardware problem so far. No hardware, not even close to have one.
Plenty of 6.5 inches display, used by triadis, clearnav, and other suppliers, but too big.
And too expensive too.
I am looking at greyscale lcds, since personally I don't care about colors at this point.
mathem Posted - 30/07/2010 : 00:30:49
quote:
Originally posted by spillpot

I'm a new user of the forum and an early solo gliding pilot currently flying my clubs K6cr. I've been using XCSoar on a Navigo 3.5" PNA successfully and have just loaded LK8000 v1.20d. My initial impression is that the interface is better and LK8000 looks like an excellent piece of software. Looking forward to the release of 1.22

I'm looking to find a larger screen device and have seen a multiptude of 5.0" PNA devices on ebay, all originating in China. I've also read various posts on this forum where people have questioned operation on CE 6.0.

There are 2 devices I'm interested in. They look the same but seem to have different hardware specs.
The first http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320561403919&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
The second
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290456717287&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

From what I've read LK8000 is more likley to work on a CE 5.0 device than 6.0, although success on 6.0 seems to be high. So do you think I should go for the higher specification device (faster processor, Win CE 6.0, slightly smaller size, more internal RAM and an integrated 2GB internal Flash memory) or play safer and get the Win CE 5.0 device?

Also interested to hear from anyone who's used one of these with LK8000 and how you unlocked it.

Ok, first of all, yes these devices are dirt cheap and there is a reason why... they are totally useless in sunlight, works kind of ok in a car but in direct sunlight it's almost impossible to read (this applies to the first device spillpot lists, i have one so i know...)and if i'm not misstakes this is the same device that Silent Flight sells....
D-2402 Posted - 29/07/2010 : 17:05:57
Yep, right. I have recently seen someone use a MIO 7' in a glider - hmm, looks cool but pretty big. I agree 5" would be perfect. The problem is the screen. So far I have not found much with many nits, 5" and reasonable price. Would you think 800MHz is sufficient? Would you recommend Linux + VMWare or XP?

cheers
Torsten
Coolwind Posted - 29/07/2010 : 16:25:57
That's www.flymap.net . Very nice hardware, but 6.4" are too much! 5" would be perfect.
An LX8000 is 3.5 inches I think.
I haven't still looked around for mainboards, but the choice is wide.
Anything with a 600Mhz CPU will do, but probably I'll look for a 1Ghz CPU.
I am planning 3D features for LK, and real time routing, and these features require a lot of CPU power.
D-2402 Posted - 29/07/2010 : 15:28:38
[
quote:
Originally posted by Coolwind

So I am thinking about such a device, running a real VGA, choosing a good VGA screen with at least 1000 nits. It is going to cost less than 1000 euro, with incredible performance.
Power consumption is no more an issue: solar panels, or 9A lead batteries are just cheap and common nowadays. I don't care about Watts, I can bear with a device eating 15-20W.

Have you ever seen flymap? (check our www.flymap.com). They have at least the screen right. Unbelievable good. It's right now for motorpilots - basically a moving map with an ICAO map and many useful flight planning function. Their system runs embedded windows - which probably means LK8000 would work. I was thinking in exactly the same direction as you. Which processor hardware would you pick?

cheers
-tb
davesalmon Posted - 29/07/2010 : 09:28:49
There is a device being sold in the UK called AWARE. It is a joint venture between the manufacturer and NATS, so it has official backing, with the intention of preventing controlled airspace violations by GA traffic. It is a simple moving map selling at £150 for the basic version which comes with UK ICAO 1:500,000 charts, and with free downloadable airspace changes for life. I checked with the manufacturer when it came out, and it has a Windows CE operating system, and SD slot, so it should be possible to put LK8000 on it.
It is therefore designed for use in aircraft, but so far I have not found anyone who uses it, so I don't know how visible it is in sunlight. It has a 4.3" screen.
Coolwind Posted - 29/07/2010 : 01:33:01
LK8000 is developed under Linux. So I love the idea to use entirely linux as main OS. Android would be ok.

As far as I know, xcsoar has not been ported to android, but the lead developer said that by 2011 it will be ported.
My concern is that before "porting" anything, you need to make it run flawlessy and bugless on the main platform. Because I don't want to be asking myself, during porting, if a problem is caused by the new platform or it is also in the old one.

I can port it to Android or any other platform, once I am done with the 2.0 and we have found suitable hardware that make it worth the job.
But I don't think it will be necessary, in my opinion.

Because if someone is going to invest money to create an hardware platform with a valid sunlight readable screen, then the cost of an operating system is irrilevant.
This is not mass-market. Mass market is made of chinese 50-100$ devices.
Should I develop some hardware, I would make it all the way a simple platform, with optionals, running vanilla Windows CE. Once I want to sell my platform, I want that anyone can buy it, to use it with Winpilot, SeeYou, GpsLog, Lk8000, XCsoar, etc.

I haven't seen Android devices that are worth to be considered a real alternative.
I have seen LX8000, and that's my idea of LCD. We need 1000-1500 nits. We only have 400 right now. LX8000 is a masterpiece. LX9000, with the bigger screen, is even better, no rivals. But they cost like a vintage glider!

We do have an alternative solution, though. Instead of thinking about a standalone compact all-in-one device, we should think about a unit where CPU and video are separated.
So I am thinking about such a device, running a real VGA, choosing a good VGA screen with at least 1000 nits. It is going to cost less than 1000 euro, with incredible performance.
Power consumption is no more an issue: solar panels, or 9A lead batteries are just cheap and common nowadays. I don't care about Watts, I can bear with a device eating 15-20W. All I have to do is buy another 30$ battery.
During this winter I'll be probably working on such a project.

And finally, I am keen on thinking that VMware is going to run on Android as it is doing on linux already. So LK8000 can already run on a virtual machine running XP. Because, let's not forget it, it is compiled for both CE and Windows32 OS, and Windows32 is running perfectly under linux with VMware, which is also FREE.

PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy