PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 General Support
 HP314 RS232 cable KK01 from Karim

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Coolwind Posted - 22/01/2010 : 01:52:17
Karim (from the forum here) has sent me his KK-01 cable to test.
The KK-01 connects with a miniUSB plug to the HP314, and provides a real RS232 working from 9600bps up. The serial port is seen as COM3 from LK8000, with nothing else to do but choosing it in system setup.

In order to make it work, you need an external 5V power supply, such as the one you normally use aboard to give the HP power.
Get another USB cable, cut out the miniusb, and solder red and black wire to the KK-01.

Power supply is necessary to make the cable circuit work, and at the same time charge the 314. You normally keep a separate battery for this purpose, and do not use battery power coming from the RS232.

The KK-01 has also a protection filter against 12V erroneus feed, which would damage the 314. Theorically you could feed 12V and let the circuit lower the voltage automatically to 5.0V, but Karim says it is only for protection and not for normal usage.

Any 314 owner should consider have a real RS232 port as an input feed for NMEA, and the KK-01 does work very fine.
Karim is working on the KK-02, but he may tell us the differences.

Thanks Karim, good job!!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bastoune Posted - 22/06/2010 : 05:01:27
Guys - This is very helpful. Thanks! I don't have the IPAQ with me but the GPStoCOMMport software is running. I need to see if I can get those NMEA sentences at the end of my circuit! I'll report when i have more testing done.
Bastoune
DanyD Posted - 21/06/2010 : 22:54:58
Hello,
Be sure not use ASK13 to do the test , and verify in notam menu that gps is allowed.
Nmea sentence sent when in fligh.(after esc )

I have spent 2 hours on some test to find out why i haven't communications, when i see that i use ASK13 for test.

Here is a small program that can send nmea sentences to port com.
Unzip and lunch GPSdataToCOMMport.exe

Config:
DATArate 9600
Port : 1 (com1) for your config
Fist sentence : GGA ,
Time between : 1 sec
Select a file to send
http://soaringpilotsoftware.com/programs/FLARMtest.zip

Dany
AlexM Posted - 21/06/2010 : 18:40:01
If others have used this board successfully into the ipaq314, then voltage levels are probably not the root of your problem since other people will be doing the same. But in the long term it's not good for the hardware to feed the data lines with 5v.

It may be worth first confirming you have a NMEA stream coming from your pc serial port. Maybe use a serial crossover cable into another com port and then open the receiving port with a terminal emulator such as hyperterm. May need another pc if you only have one com port.

Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.
Bastoune Posted - 21/06/2010 : 05:49:48
AlexM,
If you look at the circuit, there is room for an "optional" voltage regulator in my circuit (I will have to cut the X trace to get rid of the 5V). I believe I could provide 3.3V between Pin 15 and 16 with a regulator. Are the voltage of the TTL output at the same level as the power supplied to the 3232 chip? If so, I think I can fix the circuit quite easily. I can get the same voltage regulator as the one referenced in your link.
Bastoune
AlexM Posted - 20/06/2010 : 11:36:06
ooks like the correct schematic, but without the 7805 voltage reg which doesn't matter since your supply voltage is 5v anyhow. However, problem with this circuit is that VCC on the max3232 is also 5v, which means TTL outputs will be similar voltage. Ideally the IPAQ wants them to be 3.3v. This means you should really drop the voltage on the TTL output using some additional components or power the max3232 with 3.3v.

A better circuit is the one detailed earlier in this thread where a 3v LDO regulator is used to drop the voltage from 5v to 3v in order to power the max3232. That way the TTL outputs will be at the correct voltage.
http://www.lsc-forchheim.de/html/downloads/Steckerbelegung.pdf

Not sure whether voltage levels are the root of your problem, but it's not ideal.

Sorry I'm not familiar with condor so can't help with that.
Bastoune Posted - 20/06/2010 : 06:08:48
I have put the link of the PCB schematic below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/113763595769280402333/IpaqCable?authkey=Gv1sRgCPi0udeiiuvscg#5484691736125190018

On that PCB, Pin 12 of the 3232 chip goes to the USB output named "RX". That RX output is the pin 2 on the PCB side. If I get this right, I need to connect this RX (pin 2 on the PCB) to the GREEN Wire of the USB (Pin 3 of the mini-usb). I have confirmed that my USB cable meet the correct standard (USB Pin 3 = Green).

To be fair, I have now flipped the USB Green wire with the White wire back and forth but I still get the same result. I know I have the power right because the IPAQ is recharging (slowly).

What puzzle me a bit is that the PCB schematic does not really matches the one shown in the thread (www.nobbi.com), but the PCB is the same as the one shown in the link by Modelbobby.

Any chance that the NMEA feed from Condor is not getting to the PC COM1? As mentioned earlier, I only have one COM port showing (COM1).

Thanks again for the help.

Bastoune
AlexM Posted - 20/06/2010 : 01:06:33

*If* your mini-USB cable is coloured to the USB standard, then pin3 should be green and pin2 should be white. But I wouldn't assume the standard colour scheme is being followed by all cable manufacturers. Maybe worth confirming your colour-to-pin# using a continuity meter.

Also need to confirm whether your board 'TX' refers to the TTL inputs or outputs by looking at a circuit diagram of your board. If it's using a standard max3232 chip then the chip TTL outputs are pin9/pin12. Either pin should connect to your USB pin3 (D+ / green).

And TTL inputs are pin10/pin11 on the chip connecting to USB pin2 (D- / white).
Bastoune Posted - 19/06/2010 : 23:51:16
AlexM - Thank you for the pointer. I now have the LK Set as follow:
Device A: Condor / COM 3 / 9600 bauds
Device B: Condor / COM 3 / 9600 bauds

However, I still get the same error messages . Is my wiring (White=Tx, Green=Rx) correct? Also, I plug the RS232 PCB adapter right on the back of my PC. Also ok?

Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions.

Bastoune
AlexM Posted - 19/06/2010 : 21:29:34
for starters, the ipaq314 won't take a baud rate of 4800. Needs to be 9600 or greater. COM3 is correct. The internal ipaq gps is on COM7 so if you're not using the internal gps then set both Device A & B to be COM3 with a higher baud rate.
Bastoune Posted - 19/06/2010 : 20:32:00
KK Cable – Need Help!
I have started creating a RS232 Converter cable to connect my IPAQ310 running LK8000 to communicate with my PC running Condor Soaring. I am running into difficulties. I am hoping that someone smarter than me can help!

Hardware – See picture

http://picasaweb.google.com/113763595769280402333/IPAQ314PowerCable?authkey=Gv1sRgCPv899jb3qnxqgE#5484536889580705090

RS232 TTL 3.0V converter. This board is the same as the one suggested in a link above in this thread (from PICBASIC.it).

5VDC Power supply ( I used a spare USB port from my computer to get the 5V supply)

Mini USB cable connected to the IPAQ. Note: Pin 4 and 5 are not connected together. I am not looking to recharge the IPAQ with high current at this point. I connected the White mini usb wire to “TX” and the Green to the “Rx” on the PCB. (correct?)

Sofware:
LK8000 V 1.21c configured screen 8 as follows:
Device A: Condor / COM 3 / 4800 bauds
Device B: Condor / COM 4 / 4800 bauds
Serial Mode: Normal
On the PC: Condor Soaring. Enable NMEA output to COM1 of the computer (only one COM port shows in the condor port selection menu

The problem:

I get power to the RS232 PCB (Green LED). However, I can not get the data feed from Condor. The LK8000 error message is the following: “GPS: No Data Rx”. The LK8000 periodically shows the “Restarting comm ports” message.

Where do I go wrong? Are my electrical connections correct? Is my software setup correctly? How can I troubleshoot this system?

Thank you all for any help that you can provide me!
Bastoune

PS: Please note that have been to connect the IPAQ310/LK8000 to my PC with a BT connection before. However, I’d like to get away from the BT connection hassle and use a “hard” cable instead.
a.durbin Posted - 02/06/2010 : 02:01:58
quote:
Originally posted by Bastoune

Andy, if a genius could find a way to solve this problem, it would be fantastic. I would love to get a Cambridge 302 but definitely want to use my 310 with LK_8000 with it.

Does anybody know how to solve this Baud rate conversion or setting problem with the IPAQ310 / Cambridge 302?

Bastoune

I have a friend who thinks he can design a simple device that will force the 302 to a new baud rate any time it detects that it has powered up. Early days yet but I'll report back when we have it working.

When it does work all that will be required to interface the 302 with an HP31x with be the level shift circuit which is not expensive.

Then I'll be asking Paolo for full 302 support in LK8000 (flight declaration, exchange of MC and ballast, flight log download, configuration of 302 units etc etc.) It may be a long wait before we see the level of integration currently provided by the 302 utility and Glide Nav II.

Andy
Bastoune Posted - 30/05/2010 : 22:18:13

Thank you! This K6 Team MUX looks very promissing! Does any body have some experience using this device with a 310/312? Can't seem to find the manual in English for this device.

Bastoune

modellbobby Posted - 30/05/2010 : 17:30:57
quote:
Originally posted by Bastoune

quote:
Originally posted by a.durbin

quote:
Originally posted by D-HIJU

4800 baud should be no problem for the circuit. Datasheet:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1780

How would that work? I see nothing in the data sheet that suggests the device will change the data transmit rate, only the signal levels. If 310/314 cannot operate at 4800 Baud and the 302 defaults to 4800 baud then doesn't the 310/314 have to include the signaling to command the 302 to a compatible baud rate?

Currently LK8000 does not support commanding a change in the 302 baud rate.

Andy, if a genius could find a way to solve this problem, it would be fantastic. I would love to get a Cambridge 302 but definitely want to use my 310 with LK_8000 with it.

Does anybody know how to solve this Baud rate conversion or setting problem with the IPAQ310 / Cambridge 302?

Bastoune

And again. Use K6 Team Mux for this!!!!
Bastoune Posted - 30/05/2010 : 17:09:03
quote:
Originally posted by a.durbin

quote:
Originally posted by D-HIJU

4800 baud should be no problem for the circuit. Datasheet:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1780

How would that work? I see nothing in the data sheet that suggests the device will change the data transmit rate, only the signal levels. If 310/314 cannot operate at 4800 Baud and the 302 defaults to 4800 baud then doesn't the 310/314 have to include the signaling to command the 302 to a compatible baud rate?

Currently LK8000 does not support commanding a change in the 302 baud rate.

Bastoune
bmw Posted - 27/05/2010 : 10:30:43
quote:
Originally posted by kestrel19

The problem with charging from 5v isn't the USB lead, it's the 5v. source; it requires an "intelligent" switching 5v supply. Some devices (eg: the VBT-1 bluetooth converter I've just installed) provide this. Alternatively the genuine HP branded in-car chrger.

... it seems that in order to let your HP314 recharge you need 3V voltage on your data pins. I discovered that recharging the HP314 works also with shorting the data pins (i.e. pin 2&3) while providing power supply (having 5V on pin 1 and connecting pin 5 to GND).

PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy