PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 Smartphones are getting brighter displays

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 29/04/2018 : 21:14:43
During this rainy day I have been on the internet, reading many reviews and checking specs left and right for many smartphones released in 2016, 2017 and 2018.. and also read some articles about smartphones that still have to be released this year..

The trend is that displays get brighter and taller, but not really wider, so we see some weird aspect ratios these days like 18:9, 19:9 and even 2:1 aspect ratio's.. so long displays ment to be used for photography, gaming and watching movies (ridiculous what can be achieved with todays smartphone camera's..) But the bezels are gettingf smaller, so overall size of the phones is not really increaded compared to my current 5.2 inch Nexus5x with rather thick bezels ot top and bottom

Because of the HDR+ and QHD video certification, many phones come out that can boost 600 nits or more and quite a few that are are much better than that.

Top of the list at the moment.. Nokia 8 with 700 nits, but rather expensive, but not as expensive as the Samsung galaxies 8 and 9 that are reported to go over 1000 nits under certain circumstances, but probably not when running LK8000 :-). Beside the high nits also the contrast ratio is much better then a few years ago which also helps in readability under sunlight, so this 700 nits might feel even better than the 850 nits of the GG and V2, due to the much improved contrast and sharpness.

Another phone that scores just below the Nokia 8 but is even more expensive because it is newer is the Huawei P20 with 695 nits in max auto, the display is also much bigger so might be a candidate as well in a few months if the price has dropped.

Cheaper options are Huawei Mate 9 and 10 (NOT the Lite or Pro versions) with well over 650 nits! Even cheaper, the Xiaomi Mi5S is good with more than 660 nits in max auto setting, but I read on gsmarena.com some user comments that after some time the screen starts to show discolloration (yellowish) I also checked the Mi 6 but this one does not have the high brightness of the 5s, but still really good with about 600 nits.

LG has also some very good phones for outdoors, on the LG website, the LG 5SE (2017) is advertised to have a daylight mode and then boost the nits 60% up to 850 Nits (check here, scroll down.. http://www.lg.com/nl/smartphones/lg-G5-SE-H840-Titan) I have only found one website who measured about 800 nits in max auto with daylight mode on. scroll down to see the numbers of sevral 1-1.5 year old phones https://www.anandtech.com/show/10217/the-lg-g5-review/4

Talkking LG here, their new flagship LG G7 ThinQ will be released this month and is already confirmed to have a, what they call, a "super bright" display capable of 1000 nits! It uses a new dislay technology and promisses to be awesome! Price will be likewise though, never buy a new phone the first 6 months it is released...If it lack popularity price will certainly drop after that period.. but good to keep an eye on and read some reviews about it too.

But also the other new LG V30SE may come with a brighter display then the current V30 which is already very good with more then 600 nits.

Anyway too many phones to get excited about! This year I will continue to use my mediocre Nexus 5X, but will keep my eye on what comes out this year and make a choice after the flying season.

I will update this thread now and then to update you guys on more phone news. I still have to dig deeper in the cheaper section of chinese phones like ZTE and Meizu
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
davesalmon Posted - 25/06/2019 : 10:52:58
"Nokia 8 will last only about an hour with full bright on all the time.. It does not have such a big battery as other devices. I have it on the glider power, using now the USB power outlet on the wifi module. So for me it is not a problem".

I'm now running mine from a 10,000mAh power pack, which is small, light, slips into the side pocket, and has a torch for if it gets dark. One problem I've found with the Nokia 8 though is that the screen is so sensitive, that you have to be very careful not to touch it in the wrong place. Once or twice I have found that LK8000 has disappeared and it is back to the desktop, fortunately it is still running in the background, and a touch on the shortcut brings LK8000 on screen again.
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 24/06/2019 : 19:46:47
Coincidently.. I had a competition yesterday on a very hot and sunny day.. with the cockpit not even closed but the sun shining through the canopy on my phone, it got so hot it indeed stopped charging, red Android popup on my screen, which I could remove by pressing the back button.... I had to hang a white towel over my phone to keep it from overheating... This worked, I got a blue Android pop up charging was reinstated, just seconds before take-off I removed the towel.. During flight no problem (vents open!)
obetz Posted - 21/06/2019 : 20:26:18
Thanks for the information, the Nokia then seems to be less sensitive to high temperatures. Or just doesn't repeat the message that it stopped charging due to high temperature?
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 21/06/2019 : 15:27:08
quote:
Originally posted by obetz

How long lasts a fully charged Nokia 8 without external supply?

I'm currently testing a Huawei Mate 9, it has a very bright display and an 4Ah battery lasting more than 5 hours in bright sun!

A Galaxy S7 is also bright but suffers from burn-in after flying approx. 50 hours.
The SGS7 annoys with frequent "charging stopped" messages if it gets hot and is connected to a power source.

The Huawei Mate 9 seems to short the charging input if it gets too hot (I didn't fully investigate this yet). And it stops logging GPS data if LK8000 goes to the background or the screen is off.

Oliver

Nokia 8 will last only about an hour with full bright on all the time.. It does not have such a big battery as other devices. I have it on the glider power, using now the USB power outlet on the wifi module. So for me it is not a problem.
obetz Posted - 18/06/2019 : 10:26:18
How long lasts a fully charged Nokia 8 without external supply?

I'm currently testing a Huawei Mate 9, it has a very bright display and an 4Ah battery lasting more than 5 hours in bright sun!

A Galaxy S7 is also bright but suffers from burn-in after flying approx. 50 hours.
The SGS7 annoys with frequent "charging stopped" messages if it gets hot and is connected to a power source.

The Huawei Mate 9 seems to short the charging input if it gets too hot (I didn't fully investigate this yet). And it stops logging GPS data if LK8000 goes to the background or the screen is off.

Oliver
hpronto Posted - 21/03/2019 : 01:01:49
+1 on the Nokia 8, on a hang glider.

Thanks for the tip, Marco!
davesalmon Posted - 18/03/2019 : 17:43:20
That is how it seems to work, only if Terrain is ON. I've now checked the baro 2 ways, against a digital GT Altimeter attached to my V2, and also compared with a local weather site. Both show it to be within 1hPa, about 10m, so quite happy with that.
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 18/03/2019 : 11:44:17
quote:
Originally posted by davesalmon

Just bought a reconditioned Nokia 8 quite cheaply, mainly on your recommendation Marco. Not been able to fly with it yet, and waiting for delivery of the Soartronic BT module. Very impressed with the screen visibility even with the sun shining on it. Was also pleased to see it has a barometer, which I didn't know about, is it accurate?
My question, how exactly do the Lumen buttons work? I usually fly with Terrain off, Topology on, and a white background ,which gives very good screen visibility. However with Terrain off the Lumen buttons do nothing. With Terrain on, then by using Lumen+ the screen will brighten until the Terrain bleaches out, and the screen looks just like it does with Terrain off. So does this feature only work with Terrain?

I have no idea, because I never find the need to use these Lumen buttons, I also use LK8000 with terrain on in the low lands map mode. Works for me..

I am sure you will be quite happy with the Nokia 8, the smooth operation, accurate barometer and bright display make it a perfect device inside the glider cockpit.

davesalmon Posted - 17/03/2019 : 21:25:39
Just bought a reconditioned Nokia 8 quite cheaply, mainly on your recommendation Marco. Not been able to fly with it yet, and waiting for delivery of the Soartronic BT module. Very impressed with the screen visibility even with the sun shining on it. Was also pleased to see it has a barometer, which I didn't know about, is it accurate?
My question, how exactly do the Lumen buttons work? I usually fly with Terrain off, Topology on, and a white background ,which gives very good screen visibility. However with Terrain off the Lumen buttons do nothing. With Terrain on, then by using Lumen+ the screen will brighten until the Terrain bleaches out, and the screen looks just like it does with Terrain off. So does this feature only work with Terrain?
Mtbrider Posted - 10/11/2018 : 18:22:04
I have been using my Samsung S7 this year. The only problem has been leaving it open to sunlight whilst the glider was parked up, without a canopy cover on it. I had a warning that the phone would not charge as it was too hot. Easily sorted by taking the phone out or covering the canopy. The phone still worked anyway.

The screen was easily readable, Baro pressure and all the features of a modern phone.

For Condor I connect a Samsung Galaxy Tab via Bluetooth, so I do not upset the S7's settings or create "false" flights.
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 16/09/2018 : 16:53:04
All I can say that with an Nokia 8 you get a very nice, reliable working Android Phone. Beside the exceptional good sun readability it also gets the latest Android updates (Android 8.1.0 with the august 1 security patch right now) very good battery life, and stock android without bloatware.

Something that you will see nowhere mentioned in review websites like GSMaerena, because it is very specific for how we use the phone as a navigation aid in a bright sunlit cockpit, is the following:

Important is that the Nokia has an IPS LCD display and NOT an Amoled.. Amoleds suffer from Burning in, when set to max brightness for hours on end like we do.. So even if they score better then the Nokia 8, I would not pick an Amoled display phone.. like the Moto Z2 Play.

So the only one that would survive from your list is the Nokia 8 (2017 version, not the new Scirocco, this one also has an Amoled display).

Just go for it, you will not regret it.
stayhigh Posted - 14/09/2018 : 21:03:12
Home from the store after comparing Nokia 8 to my Xperia XZs, and indeed, the Nokia 8 does seem a bit brighter than the XZs. Did however not get a chance to test the Nokia 8 in direct sunlight.
Nokia 8 also seemed brighter than the iPhone X and Galaxy S9 (indoor).

Have been flying with Xperia XZs for one season, and the readability in sunlight with sunglasses is quite OK.
Of course I would like an even better, brighter, display for next season...

Looking a bit at the sunlight contrast ratio table at gsmarena.com, which gives each display/phone a score depending on nits/glare/reflections:

Apple iPhone X 5.013
Samsung Galaxy S8 4.768
Samsung Galaxy S9 4.63
Sony Xperia XZ3 4.502
Motorola Moto Z2 Play 4.459
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge 4.439
OnePlus 3 4.424
Samsung Galaxy S7 4.376
Nokia 8 4.239

A phone that scores even higher than the Nokia 8 is Moto Z2 play (even though it has only 430 nits), which also has an attractive price. Anyone here with experience of it's sunlight readability? Or anyone else with Nokia 8 experience that can compare it to above list?

Parsifal Posted - 26/07/2018 : 20:29:54
quote:
Originally posted by Marco from Hangar 5

IPS is good!

Don't worry too much about the heating problem, just use it, you will see it is not much of a problem once you are flying. You do not get overheated yourself, do you? So why your phone would? :-) I have been flying with smartphones for many years before I had the Glider Guider, and I know of people flying with Iphones using Iglide also already for many years. We never experienced overheating problems, not even during the hottest of days (33 degrees or more!). You will love the quick response of the phone, and overall way smoother operation, then the Oudi... I will never go back to the GG.

I'll do it, Marco, thanks!
But now I don't want to change my setup, risking to have something notworking in flight...
Still, if I can, I'll shoot and post here some photos...
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 26/07/2018 : 10:54:35
IPS is good!

Don't worry too much about the heating problem, just use it, you will see it is not much of a problem once you are flying. You do not get overheated yourself, do you? So why your phone would? :-) I have been flying with smartphones for many years before I had the Glider Guider, and I know of people flying with Iphones using Iglide also already for many years. We never experienced overheating problems, not even during the hottest of days (33 degrees or more!). You will love the quick response of the phone, and overall way smoother operation, then the Oudi... I will never go back to the GG.
Parsifal Posted - 26/07/2018 : 09:50:55
Thanks Marco for the extensive advice!
Display is IPS 4.6" and my case IS grey/white.
Will try in autumn, now I keep my Oudie Lite...
Nice landings

PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy