PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
PF Home | International_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 LXNAV S80 with LK8000,
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
804 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2018 :  23:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By now I have made my fist flights with my new panel. Very happy with how it works out in the air, all instruments can be read very well, radio works very well with the new microphone, static and interference free

I have now calibtated the new LXNAV S80 vario electronic TE compensation, and all set to my preferences. Default the vario needle is set quite dampened, I have reduced this to less dampening so it moves quicker if something changes. Also the speed was 10km/h faster compared to my normal ASI, but also that can be adjusted electronically.

What I still have to do is loading waypoint database, maps and airspaces, so I also can use it for navigation and final glides.. as backup for LK8000 of course.. The main function of the S80 is Vario and Speed To Fly, I have tried the STF bar last week, and works great!

Today I discovered in LK8000 I can set the wind calculation to External, so the wind data is used from the S80 in stead of my crappy circling .

Mcready can be adjusted manually, but still have to find out if the MC value on the S80 ia also adjusted if the auto Mc of Lk8000 is changed, this would be very nice if this works.. I was planning to test this yesterday, but only after take off I discovered that the connection was broken. I could not adjust the S80 by LK8000 at all during the flight, and I could not figure out what was wrong during the flight... only on ground i found out the NMEA output was turned off somehow.. probably because I have switched off the S80 using the aircraft main power switch, in stead of turning the s80 off with a long push on the volume button (this saves all changed settings).

Also tested the connection of the KRT2 Radio by means of a second Bt module I received from a guy I met on the Yahoo Mini Nimbus users group, It works very well.. but not together with the other Bt module that connects with the S80, so I will send the module back to him this weak, and continue to work on the wifi solution.

Next weekend first competition of this year for me.. lets see how that will work out.. I will bring the mobius camera's with me, so I can record the flights and make a video report of it... So, fingers crossed for good weather.

[EDIT]: The competition was cancelled due to very bad weather in the Netherlands, it started raining early afternoon on Saturday, and it did not really stop till today! So that promissed Video will come later :-)

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
http://www.zweef.nl/
Zweefvliegcentrum Noordkop, NETHERLANDS

Edited by - Marco from Hangar 5 on 30/04/2018 17:38:02
Go to Top of Page

Alessandro_1978
Pulcino

10 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  14:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi marco
i have a S100 but the general setup is the same of the S80
a couple of questions:

"I have now calibtated the new LXNAV S80 vario electronic TE compensation, and all set to my preferences. Default the vario needle is set quite dampened, I have reduced this to less dampening so it moves quicker if something changes. Also the speed was 10km/h faster compared to my normal ASI, but also that can be adjusted electronically. "

can you list here your setting?

"Today I discovered in LK8000 I can set the wind calculation to External, so the wind data is used from the S80 in stead of my crappy circling"
i cannot have the external wind on LK8000 with S100. could you please confirm you can get this data from S80? how did you setup the instrument?

thanks
Alessandro

Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
804 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  16:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Allessandro,

How to calibrate your S100 is provided in the manual, you must do some test flights in smooth air conditions (early morning, before the thermals come loose), the setting you end up with is dependent on the aircraft, position of the pitot/static ports you use, etc.. So providing you my settings will not help you, you must find out your settings yourself, by doing the test flights...

To speed up the process, you must study at home or in your aircraft on the ground how to get to the settings pages in your S100 before you do the test flight, this way you can quickly change the setting whilst performing the test runs ( a dive to high speed, fly horizontally at high speed and pull up slowly and check what your vario is doing)

One tip I can give before hand.. turn off the automatic switch over from vario to speed command.

It is not difficult at all and actually fun to do!

The speed difference can be adjusted just by looking at your normal ASI and compare this with the value on the S100, adjust as necessary... In my case the TAS was 10-15km/h too fast on my S80.

About the external wind data, I had a discussion with Alphalima because I did not see any wind data in LK8000 when set to external. I sent an NMEA log to Alphalima and he discovered that the S80 does not send out the wind data NMEA sentece at all.. so no external wind from the S80/100, I have now set it to ZIGZAG in LK8000, Alphalima claims this is even more acurate than the LX instruments deliver. But I will get in touch with the dutch importer of the S80/100 varios, maybe he can motivate LXNAV to add the wind NMEA sentence by a software update.

Regards,

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
804 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  16:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot about the dampening... I do not know anymore what I set it too, just check the manual and play with the settings during flight until you find it acceptable for you. I may have to adjust again, because I still find it too slow, it seems the indication is about 1 second behind.

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Suggerimenti dello staff:

Note legali (italiano):
Privacy Policy Cookie Policy
Legal notice (english):
Privacy Policy Cookie Policy

PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - P.I. 05264240960