PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 XC Tracer II Kobo Aura 2 USB-connection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Andrew Mogg
Pulcino

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  19:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any advice on how to connect the XC Tracer II to a Kobo with the splitter cable? I havenīt had any luck yet getting it to work.
Iīm not even sure if itīs possible.

Thanks,
Andy

Andrew Mogg
Pulcino

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2017 :  20:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I mean is that I have a Kobo Aura 2 with LK8000 Version 6.1j USB host kernel installed. I am trying to feed the Kobo from a XC Tracer II by means of a splitter cable rather than with Blue tooth. So far I havenīt been able to find the right settings to get it to work. Google hasnīt helped me this time either.

Does anyone know of any settings that will work with the XC Tracer II? Or is it possibly not supported yet?

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1097 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  01:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with Aura 2, you need Y cable and external power supply
you also need to check XCTracer Config, i'm not sure usb conection are enabled by default.
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Mogg
Pulcino

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  07:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brunotl,

thanks fot the response. Right now I am using the Y cable (splitter) available from XC Tracer. The USB power source is "On". Here are the settings. I am not sure about the protocol or the forward GPS sentence.

firmwareVersion=XC_Tracer_II_R03
reset=no

# supported protocols are None, XCTRACER, LK8EX1 or LXWP0
stringToSend=LK8EX1
forwardGPSSentences=yes

# supported connections are BLE, USB, BOTH or NONE
sendDataOver=BOTH

# power on USB connector can be ON or OFF
powerUSB=ON

# supported log formats are IGC or KML
logFormat=IGC

Here are the settings in LK8000. What about the port???

Any ideas??
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1097 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  12:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for avoid problem :

# supported protocols are None, XCTRACER, LK8EX1 or LXWP0
stringToSend=XCTRACER
forwardGPSSentences=no

inside LK8000 :

Name : XCTracer
Port : /dev/ttyACM0
Baudrate : 4800

Go to Top of Page

Andrew Mogg
Pulcino

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  13:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made the changes. Still wonīt work. There has to be a way.

Edited by - Andrew Mogg on 14/11/2017 13:02:57
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1097 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  14:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did you see /dev/ttyACMO port ?

if yes, XCTracerII is seen by LK8000 and all should work...

Go to Top of Page

alstonbk
Pulcino

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2018 :  20:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a similar question on getting hardware to work with LK8000, but not XCTracerII. I am using LX Nano with the Aura 2 and an OTG Y cable from an external power source; other ends go to the Kobo and Nano respectively. Nano has the "Enable NMEA output" on and BAUD rate set to 57600. LK8000 has the device 'A' configuration set as:

Name: LX Colibri/Nano
Port: /dev/ttymxc0
Ext. Sound: Off
Baudrate: 57600 8bit

Not getting anything from Nano to LK8000. What have I missed? Do I need to use a different device name and port? Maybe the BAUD rate cannot be 57600?

Brad Alston
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2018 :  23:51:06  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Did you install OTG version?
Go to Top of Page

alstonbk
Pulcino

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2018 :  01:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question. Yes, first the 6.0a full install then 6.1j upgrade...both the OTG version. There is a note on the splash screen, under the version number, indicating "USB host kernel"...I think that is the verification of the OTG install.

Brad Alston
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2018 :  10:35:31  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, you have the correct version.

Can you tell what ports do you have on the Port list?

Make sure do you turn on the external device and powerbank before turning on the Kobo.

And also make sure that you have the latest version: http://www.postfrontal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8737

Edited by - parapenT1sta on 20/03/2018 10:44:32
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1097 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2018 :  13:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alstonbk

I have a similar question on getting hardware to work with LK8000, but not XCTracerII. I am using LX Nano with the Aura 2 and an OTG Y cable from an external power source; other ends go to the Kobo and Nano respectively. Nano has the "Enable NMEA output" on and BAUD rate set to 57600. LK8000 has the device 'A' configuration set as:

Name: LX Colibri/Nano
Port: /dev/ttymxc0
Ext. Sound: Off
Baudrate: 57600 8bit

Not getting anything from Nano to LK8000. What have I missed? Do I need to use a different device name and port? Maybe the BAUD rate cannot be 57600?

"/dev/ttymxc0" is internal serial port of Aura 2, not usb port.
Go to Top of Page

alstonbk
Pulcino

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2018 :  01:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Upgraded to 6.1r...OTG version confirmed. Turned on power bank and Nano. Made sure Nano was receiving GPS signal before starting LK8000 on Kobo Aura. Same result as before, no GPS signal to Kobo. Tried changing various settings one at a time as shown below. Each time checking the terminal after comm ports were reset...no data.

1.) Different ports. LK8000 gave errors (no port found) except when using /dev/ttymxc0
2.) Different Baudrate 4800 (made sure Nano was also set to 4800)
3.) Different device names GENERIC, LX, and back to LX Colibri/Nano

Interesting side-effect of selecting power off from LK8000. I get the LK8000 power off screen but cannot re-start Kobo using physical power button.

Any additional thoughts?

Brad Alston
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Mogg
Pulcino

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2018 :  06:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I'm way off, but I finally realised that my USB port on my Kobo was not in good shape. I also noticed that I only had one cable that was able to connect the kobo to the computer. I'm saying that maybe you have your settings right, just that it's not connected. With mine it was connected enough for a power on when the cable was stuck into the USB-port, but it would not stay connected. Like it was loose or something.

I also had issues with power of and on. When it won't turn on, hold the power button for 3 to 5 seconds, let go, wait another 3 seconds, push again. See if that works.
Go to Top of Page

alstonbk
Pulcino

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2018 :  15:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thoughts Andrew! I am suspecting the cabling at this point. I believe my ports are OK as I can use both the Kobo and Nano cables connected to my PC directly just fine. The cable I am questioning is the one from the Nano to the OTG Y cable; possibly I need something other than the standard USB cable...more like a custom FTDI cable with a mini USB end for the Nano and standard USB end for the Y cable connection. Is this what you have?

Brad Alston
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1097 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2018 :  12:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you connect USB serial DEvice to kobo, you should have port named : /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyUSB0 and another named id:device_name

if you don't see that, your have hardware problem. check your usbOTG Y cable AND your external power.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy