PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 General Support
 Getting Started with LK800
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MikeGolf
New Entry

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2018 :  16:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a basic manual somewhere for getting started with the LK8000? If so, where is it?

I downloaded the Android version to try it out but can't seem to get past the setup screen. (and to imagine that they let me fly gliders!)

Suggestions?

Cheers, MikeGolf

BravoLima
Aquilotto

Netherlands
276 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2018 :  17:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to the manuals page http://www.lk8000.it/download/manuals.html and start with manual V3 and then continue with 4, 5 and 6.
Google "YouTube LK8000" and watch the instruction videos like this one for basic operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFl3pwBNvPY

Edited by - BravoLima on 16/06/2018 17:43:28
Go to Top of Page

MikeGolf
New Entry

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2018 :  20:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bravo Lima

Cheers, MikeGolf
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2018 :  21:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also download LKMAPS from the play store, to download and install airspaces, maps and waypoints of your area.

Best is to sit down with LK8000 for a couple of hours, and work your way through all the menu's and sub menu's and figure out what they do.... some have a help button that provides info about that particular function/options.. if you do not understand what some things are used for, go to the manual and look it up, if that doesnt help search this forum, and if you then still cant find your answer.. just ask here, we are all here to help eachother :-)

First things you should do is set it up for your aircraft, and if you want to use it on multiple types of aircraft, you can store each aircraft in a profile. Then setup your personal details, and finally set up LK8000 as you like it or want to use it.

You can copy a logger IGC file to the .../../Lk8000/_logger directory, and then play it back in a simulation session, also very helpfull to see what it does.

I use LK8000 for a couple of years now (7 years I think), and all I can say it is an awesome piece of software, the final glide computer is very well thought out and works flawlessly, the unique auto Mc function is very helpfull. I also use it for flying competitons.. next week again!

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
http://www.zweef.nl/
Zweefvliegcentrum Noordkop, NETHERLANDS
Go to Top of Page

wrogers
Pulcino

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2018 :  00:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marco,

Based on your success with the Nokia 8, I ordered one and am starting to set things up. Using it to replace my Vertica V2 in a Discus 2a.

Success downloading LK8000 from the Google play store, installing and running LK8000. Seems to work beautifully. Installed LKMAPS also for waypoints, airspace and maps.

QUESTION: I can't find a LK8000 folder in the file structure "Internal shared storage". So, I don't know where LKMAPS downloaded it's file to. I would like to use my own *.cup waypoint file. I see how to upload files to the Nokia 8 file system, but don't know where to put it. Note... Nokia on set up upgraded to Android 8.1

Thanks for all your documentation and experiences with the LXNAV S80 and panel upgrade! I'll probably just use my Nano BT to drive LK8000.

Walt Rogers "WX" Palmdale, California

Walter Rogers
Palmdale, California
Discus 2a "WX"
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2018 :  03:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Walt! I hope you like it as much as I do!

Probably your file management app does not show everything.

Download and install file management software "ES File explorer" from the play store.

In ES File Explorer, tap the three stripes on the top left to open the menu

Tap "Local"
Tap "Internal Storage"

scroll down to the directory "LK8000" tap to open, the sub directory "_Waypoints" is where you should copy your custom waypoint files

similar for the Airspaces and maps, in case you make your own or download from a different source.

Long press the file to select, in the bottom stripe you will find the copy/paste command buttons
use the back button to move up in the directory structure.
dowloaded files from the internet end up in the "download" directory
You can add Google drive and dropbox and other cloud based file storage, and scroll through these just like the local directories.

My Nokia received its second security upgrade yesterday :-)

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page

wrogers
Pulcino

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2018 :  21:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marco,

ES File Explorer did the trick for reading/writing to LK8000 directories on Android!

Used Car profile to drive around with LK8000 yesterday. I noticed that when changing Config setting for units, it does not remember settings between start ups. Looks like it doesn't have permissions to write somewhere.

BTW, What do you think of using a small 5v battery as auxiliary power. Internal battery is pretty good. Trying to avoid running another wire from under the panel to a 5V source to my RAM mount. The Vertica V2 power comes from a weird USB mini 10pin cable connector.

Next season, I'm upgrading my panel... and may consider what you have, the LXNAV S80. I was seriously considering Air Avionics (Butterfly) vario because of the superb 1 sec updated winds. Out here in the West U.S., we have a lot of micro wind regimes near mountains. How does your S80 winds work compared to Butterfly? Have you heard any comparisons of these two systems from European pilots? In the Netherlands... the flat lands... you probably don't have much detailed wind regimes to work with, so the 1sec updates may not be that important.

Walt Roges WX Palmdale, California - Discus 2a

Walter Rogers
Palmdale, California
Discus 2a "WX"
Go to Top of Page

BravoLima
Aquilotto

Netherlands
276 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2018 :  23:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wrogers

I noticed that when changing Config setting for units, it does not remember settings between start ups. Looks like it doesn't have permissions to write somewhere.
Walt Roges WX Palmdale, California - Discus 2a

Have you set in Config 2/3 / LK8000 Setup / System Setup, page 22 System, the Save runtime setting to "on"? Then it should work.

Edited by - BravoLima on 17/06/2018 23:44:38
Go to Top of Page

wrogers
Pulcino

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2018 :  00:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BravoLima,

Thanks for pointing out System->RunTimeSetting to ON
That fixed it.

Love running LX8000 on a fast Nokia 8 device.

Walt Rogers WX

Walter Rogers
Palmdale, California
Discus 2a "WX"
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2018 :  11:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think these two vario systems are comparable.

Wind calculation is pretty accurate, but how fast it is I do not know, the sensors are all inside the Vario sensor unit attached to the indicator unit. With the Butterfly Vario you have a seperate sensor box that is supposed to be mounted near the center of gravity and aligned with the centerline of the aircraft to make it work best.. This makes installation a bit complicated, with the S80 it is simple, use a standard 80mm instrument hole in your panel, attach the wires and pneumatic hoses and you are ready to go flying.

The S80 samples the sensors 100 times per second, GPS/FLARM data is updated once every second, so I do think wind is also updated each second..

BTW I tried to use external Wind data from the S80, but that does not seem to come through to LK8000, I think this is a bug, but I will test this after the competition coming weekend during my second gliding holiday coming two weeks

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page

wrogers
Pulcino

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2020 :  02:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marco,

Two soaring seasons later, 2018 and 2019, LK8000 is working great with the Nokia 8 in my Discus 2a. The bright sharp screen is working every bit as good as the Vertica V2, perhaps better because of the higher resolution. The only problem I've run into is overheating. A white sock or cloth needs to cover the Nokia 8 before takeoff with the screen blanked. Also, it's necessary to fully charge the Nokia 8 the make sure there is no recharging going on later in the flight. That leads to an occasional overheating dialog box. On a few occasions during flight, I got an overheat warning and quickly disconnected my USB-C power connection. That solved the problem immediately. Data connection to my PowerFlarm is via a SoarTronic BT module.

Now, early 2020, I'm about to install an LXNAV S100. The instrument is being bench tested at home. The S100 internal BT connects just fine to LK8000 v7.0 and v7.1l. However, I think I've found a bug (Take a look at recent PostFrontal Forum BUG reports and in the GENERAL directory). With v7.1l (not in v7.0), it looks like some kind of AutoQNH sentences are cause my QNH on the S100 to jump up from around 29.80Hg to 36.xxHg... causing the altitude to change from 2475ft (altitude of my house) to around 8494ft. Have you seen this error?

Do you know if the wind sentences (NMEA) are being received from the S80 or S100 to LK8000 with later software versions?

Also, what is your experience with the accuracy of estimating task completion times, or arrival times? I'm especially interested with AAT tasks.

Thanks for all your help and information extended to this community.

Walter Rogers WX
Palmdale, CA USA

Walter Rogers
Palmdale, California
Discus 2a "WX"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy