PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Change requests and new features list
 Windspeed, using only GPS (OBSOLETE)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lshachar
Pulcino

Israel
12 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2017 :  23:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey,
I really like the wind speed & direction calculation described at the attached link.
Have a look, it's quite an old thread so this idea might have already been discussed around here, but I couldn't find any mentions. What do you think about it?

http://blueflyvario.blogspot.co.il/2012/09/calculating-wind-speed-from-gps-track.html

Edited by - AlphaLima on 04/10/2018 20:04:43

davesalmon
Pterodattilo

United Kingdom
1620 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  09:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just noticed this. It looks very similar to the TrueWind feature that has been in LK8000 for many years. You fly at a pre-determined speed, for a pre-determined time, in a pre-determined direction, and you get wind speed and direction. It's all in the manual.
Go to Top of Page

lshachar
Pulcino

Israel
12 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2018 :  14:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davesalmon

Just noticed this. It looks very similar to the TrueWind feature that has been in LK8000 for many years.

actually, the feature you are referring to is completely different to what is talked about in the link I posted...
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  19:53:32  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We already have a quite good wind estimation(circle shifts) based on GPS only.
For much better results we have a modified Kalman filter but this needs GPS and indicated airspeed (IAS).
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  20:04:06  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please don't get me wrong but a better wind estimation need additional informations.
Implementing and testing another algorithm is a hell lot of work. Especially to make it robust even on different types of aircrafts (Hang, Para, Glider, GA). All need different parameters which need to be evaluated and tested seperatly.
(For me peronally it is better to have no wind rather than a wrong estimation)
We have tons of other things to improve, so we should not lose time on another "imperfect" wind estimation. If the bluefly varios have wind estimations based on this algorithem, it is already possible to send and use it in LK8000.

Edited by - AlphaLima on 10/10/2018 15:32:43
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy