PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Change requests and new features list
 FAI triangle calculation on the second vertex
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stoickov
Pulcino

60 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  03:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When attempting a FAI triangle, quite crucial moment is when you decide how much to stretch second vertex / first leg. It determines the maximum size you can get later (assuming you won't stretch in more at the end).

The problem with the FAI assistant is, it's hard to get any clues about the possible distance at that time.
You can unzoom to see the FAI area for the last vertex, and read the values on it, but it's far from perfect.

I don't have any ready solution to propose, though. Anybody?
Or maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm open to suggestions.

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  09:40:43  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please look at:
Info->Analysis->Contest->Start on Leg/Turnpoint
It is a good idea to put it as a custom key in the button bar.
Have you watched this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkFwhItx6-A
Go to Top of Page

stoickov
Pulcino

60 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  17:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've seen the video, thanks. I've done some research before asking.

The OLC Analysis page doesn't solve the problem. Have a look at how it looks like when I reach the crucial flight moments:

- There is no indication of the predicted triangle size (min, max) other then the blue sectors, which are not really visible, plus I already have them on a normal map (BTW, they have switched colors on a normal map: yellow <-> blue).

- I don't see which place I should fly to if I want to get desired distance, because there is no map. It's just an analyse page - I get it, so I don't expect a map here. I'm just saying this isn't really useful in real flight for me.

So still - the FAI assistant doesn't really assist me on the second vertex.

Edited by - stoickov on 09/01/2017 18:02:05
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  19:26:18  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How should we predict a triangle in a jojo?
It is obvious to me, in that case, fly to the south-east! That's all you need at this stage!
If you do so, you'll get more info, believe me!

Sorry to say, but if it does not assist you, don't use it or try to fly more triangular shapes.

However, I'll add the minimum distances in the peak of the sectors but I doubt it will solve your problem of understanding the sectors.

Edited by - AlphaLima on 09/01/2017 19:40:46
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  19:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry I dont get it, stoickov. At any point you fly the first leg, without a precise idea of where to go, the decision for enlarging the FAI triangle is mainly about direction. Depending on what you do at this the second leg could be impossible to complete and thus you are loosing your time going further. This is obvious. What is not obvious is where to close the triangle once you did your best to make 2 angles. LK will create a waypoint for that purpose.
Go to Top of Page

stoickov
Pulcino

60 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  23:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlphaLima
fly to the south-east!

Yeah, but when exactly? Now, or 5 km from this, or am I 5 km to far already?
Of course I go to fly south east next, but that's the whole point to decide when this leg is enough.

Maybe my approach to triangles is somehow specific that you don't get me, so to simplify my request:
Could you make accessible the minimum and maximum possible triangle size value with the current first leg size?
Now this info is kind of available only as the fai sector size labels.
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  07:44:22  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, I'll unzoom this diagramm a bit, so it becomes more obvious.
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  08:58:18  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Edited by - AlphaLima on 10/01/2017 09:01:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy