PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Change requests and new features list
 Soaring by a Soaring-Path-Plan with alternatives
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ernst-dieter
Aquilotto

Germany
203 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  16:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Idea:

Soaring by a Soaring-Path-Plan with alternatives (not a task!)

background:

As a sailplane pilot from the baltic coast, i.e. usually soaring in the very flatlands, I was flying for two weeks in the french alps, a very nice experience. Some things are very different, so at home outlanding is usually not a problem, in the alps you have to have a very clear idea which path to take, to be e.g. not to be trapped in a valley, to reach a save place.
For this we already have in LK a valuable help, the "best alternative" but this is only for "to save your ass".

I would like to have something like a "soaring path plan" with alternatives:

------------------ Path-Plan -----------------------------------
Start at point 1

goto point 2, but reach it not lower than 1000m
gain height at point 2
for reaching point 3a at least circle to 2500m,
for reaching point 3b at least circle to 1500m

goto point 3a, but reach it not lower than 1000m
gain height at ridge III beginning at point 3a, ending at point3c
for reaching point 4a at least raise to 2000m,
for reaching point 4b at least raise to 2500m

goto points 3b, but reach it ...
etc.

Land at point XX
----------------------------------------------------------------

This is not a task! It is something like a plan to get most distance out of the day

Important are the arrival/leaving heights, which should be indicated at the waypoints in the map. These heights are usually well known and published. I append two pictures from an article about soaring in the french alps. Of course these heights are not law, but they suit for typical conditions and help to avoid risks.

I admit this makes only sense in the mountains.
This feature would be something unique within the soaring computing programs

What do you think?

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  23:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is a task in fact. You set arrival altitudes of each waypoint. Then you climb according to a separate table.
Climb altitude does not depend on computer, it depends on the weather.. Then, I assume that the "top climb" altitudes are the lowest accepted, not the highest.
This said, I too fly in the alps since ever, and we jump from one mountain to another, keeping an eye on mountain passes and valleys, using two things:
1. A waypoint database of each mountain peak, ridge and pass (some thousands of them in fact)
2. Multimap page 4

I have developed the concept of visualglide page (multimap page 4) around the problem of jumping from a mountain to another.
It works beautifully, and page 4 also tell you if you can skip the next mountain to get over the far away ridge.
All you need is a good database of points, and you are done.
If you need the database of southern alps it is available for free.

With MM4 you dont need to select anything: it tells you automatically what you can do with the current height , if you need more or less, and also it tell you how fast you can speed up to get OVER the next ridge (required MC).
No other software has this functionality, maybe because most programmers dont fly exclusively in the alps as I did.

Edited by - Coolwind on 23/03/2015 23:14:40
Go to Top of Page

ernst-dieter
Aquilotto

Germany
203 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2015 :  18:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paolo,
you are an expirienced pilot in the mountains. I am a beginner there. I am scared going deeper e.g. into the french parcour because I have no feeling for the local circumstances at the different ridges etc. For me and other mountain visitors it would be very helpful to have a plan how to reach the wanted far away waypoint via some anchorange places at the path. If I first time have to remember by heart twelve ridges with critical datas getting my turning point I am lost. Old style is to use the map, draw a polyline, add the necessary heights, then give it to a local hero to check ...
I think all this can be done within LK (except for the check) and would be very helpful and nice.
I hope you understand my intention. The MM4 is wounderful reaching the next ridge over even the further one. But for a full flight I want to have the path with some alternatives. I can imagine that this is somewhat funny to you, but the flatland boys are scared.
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2015 :  22:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I strongly suggest you forget the idea of flying on a track in the alps, expecting to find a thermal here and another there, and climb to this and that altitude. That's the best way of getting into troubles. In the alps you move by knowing in advance the territory, the mountains, the valleys. You dont go round looking at LK to understand where you are, it is very dangerous.
You use LK to keep an eye on the numbers for reaching landing places, and to get over montains around if you have a database..
Otherwise you can create your own task as you like, there is no need to do anything to achieve that.
Simply create a task with all the points you want. What you get in the end is a useless track that you will abandon after 30 minutes..

The charts published here are a reference for all directions, we have the same here for beginners. But first you must know where you are!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy