PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 LK8000 and Kobo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

12Fly
Aquilotto

Netherlands
207 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2015 :  11:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

LK8000 running on Linux and Kobo
- What type of Kobo E-reader is commonly used?
- Specifications of this Kobo, what is onboard?
- What adjustments are needed for use in a glider?
- Comparison between V2 and Kobo, what are the differences?

I.I. van der Bijl

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1096 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2015 :  12:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used "Kobo Mini" Modified By GoflyIntruments : http://www.goflyinstruments.com/
on Board, you have GPS, Vario, and bigger battery.

can be used as is on glider, or connected tu external device using OTG-Cable and USB-to-RS232 converter.

comparing to V2 : faster CPU, wifi, B&W eInk Screen , no bluetooth, no serial port, USB-OTG support.
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2015 :  15:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And no sounds. Well for the GoFly I think we can manage to have the internal buzzer working.
Thermal assistant does not show up well in greyscale, and so do many other things.
From the functionality point of view, LK8000 was made to make full use of both colors and sound.
For example all sounds are handmade, carefully crafted out of a sound editor and checked for correct frequencies for our ears.
Just like the colors on maps. But these things are no more valuable on Kobo.
So it is exactly like using photoshop on a 1990 black and white MacIntosh.
The original Kobo (not the modified one by GoFly) has no gps and no sounds.

Go to Top of Page

Parsifal
Falchetto

Italy
167 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2015 :  15:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gofly device is interesting, but not that cheap ...
What about a configuration with an ordinary Kobo connected by cable to an external logger/GPS (e.g.: Nano), and, if possible, at the same time connected to the glider's battery?

... fai delle nubi il tuo carro, cammini sulle ali del vento ... S.104,3

Edited by - Parsifal on 23/01/2015 16:19:29
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1096 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2015 :  19:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Parsifal

What about a configuration with an ordinary Kobo connected by cable to an external logger/GPS (e.g.: Nano), and, if possible, at the same time connected to the glider's battery?

all you want is explained here : http://www.tophatsoaring.org/Kobo%20USB%20GPS%20cables.html

Edited by - brunotl on 23/01/2015 19:04:58
Go to Top of Page

Parsifal
Falchetto

Italy
167 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  00:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brunotl

quote:
Originally posted by Parsifal

all you want is explained here : http://www.tophatsoaring.org/Kobo%20USB%20GPS%20cables.html

wonderful, thanks a lot!
now, all I need is the appropriate version of LK8000 ...

... fai delle nubi il tuo carro, cammini sulle ali del vento ... S.104,3
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  16:40:12  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CoolwindAnd no sounds. Well for the GoFly I think we can manage to have the internal buzzer working.

Jarek compiled his own versions of XCSoar and TopHat with alarms alert. That can be also implement in LK8000: http://www.goflyinstruments.com/download/

Edited by - parapenT1sta on 24/01/2015 20:32:11
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  20:35:56  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
- What type of Kobo E-reader is commonly used?

Kobo Mini and Touch are the most popular but some people are using Glo also
quote:
- Specifications of this Kobo, what is onboard?

You can compare the Kobos on this website: http://www.kobo.com/devices/compare#ereaders
Go to Top of Page

sundancer
Pulcino

Czech Republic
34 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  21:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is not so simple! Kobo MIMI, TOUCH GLO are the most used. We need to find new "popular" device because mini is hard to get and GLO/TOUCH are quite expensive.

I am trying to get some Pocketbook 624 touch to test. But I dont have any details about this device yet. But it needs to be hacked first :/

The "problem" of thermal assistant is not so hard to solve. We just need a new painter for the snailtrail - the one with scaled dots and greyscale color (more black = more lift, bigger dot) like you can find in xcsoar or also in naviter. That works like charm.

Feel free to contact me with BW and readers UI problems - we have made a lot of brainstorming with my friends around that.

polach.pp@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  21:51:26  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote

And here we are! We shall spend time on software in order to save money on hardware.
DITTO.
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2015 :  00:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@12fly, this is for paragliding pilots who hate external batteries, because that is the only reason I can find to want a black and white e-reader with low refreshrate.. it is good for many hours(if not days) of flight on the internal battery. Forget about it for inside a glider.

It is about time Amazon comes out with a new generation of kindle fire's (or fire phone) that starts using the Liquavista display technology they bought from Samsung in 2013. Realy sun viewable reflective displays, using a fraction of the power that is needed for LCD. For us the sun viewability would be the atractive feature, the power saving comes as a bonus.

There are geeks out there that have "rooted" the current kindle fire and installed Ubunto on it, so it might be interesting :-) Fire 6 would be perfect for us, not too big, or the fire phone, 4.7 inch, which also seems to run on linux kernel, but the fire phone is only available in the USA.

I do not know how 'open' the Kindle devices are, if they accept open source software to be installed, like LK8000. If they run a Linux Kernel, maybe LK8000 can be installed just like we are used to with WindowsCE? I don't know, I do not have a Kindle. But certainly something to keep an eye on..

It all might come together, LK8000 on Linux, Kindle fire with Liquavista displays running on linux. This would be a serious candidate as a V2 replacement for me. If they come out with a Fire phone 5 inch Liquavista display, running Linux, that would be perfect for me.

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
http://www.zweef.nl/
Zweefvliegcentrum Noordkop, NETHERLANDS
Go to Top of Page

12Fly
Aquilotto

Netherlands
207 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2015 :  23:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco from Hangar 5
It is about time Amazon comes out with a new generation of kindle fire's (or fire phone) that starts using the Liquavista display technology they bought from Samsung in 2013. Realy sun viewable reflective displays, using a fraction of the power that is needed for LCD. For us the sun viewability would be the atractive feature, the power saving comes as a bonus.

It seems that your prayers have been answered......

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/08/05/amazons-new-screen-tech-patents-reveal-clues-future-kindle-plans/

I.I. van der Bijl
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  01:29:33  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A video that will make you laugh a little bit :-P

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=800840373325912

Well done Bruno!
Go to Top of Page

JPRosa
Falchetto

Portugal
112 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  14:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
This type of solution started interesting me since last year.
I made experiences with a Nook and Kobo mini.
Biggest limitation: they are not navigation devices, they are e-readers.
Best advantage: the e-ink display. The more sun we have on it the best reading returns.
Nook is Android. The case is too fragile: once you open it, you will never close it perfectly. It would need an IOIO box, I use it with a Y-cable connected to a normal UST-RS232 pc cable and an old GPS12 as source. This configuration may freeze, as OTG is not stable on Nook. That never happened to me. The Nook is a bit big in a cockpit (but good for a Janus backseat. Another advantage is that you will have after rooting it a free Android tablet.
Let's return to Kobo: It's a Linux device. Once you root it, it will only work with the navigation program, or may freeze. There are 2 good products: the Kobo Mini, the best size to a cockpit (5"). The Kobo Glo is also a good choice, bigger, however less that a Nook and with back light available.
Kobo is my choice.
I've been making tests and I installed in 2 Kobo Mini GPS modules:
http://www.ebay.es/itm/271079582518?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.es/itm/FGPMMOPA6H-MT3339-GPS-TTL-165dBm-Integration-Of-Antenna-Module-/301509126058?pt=FR_Informatique_Reseaux_Autres&hash=item46335827aa
They are very small, but have to b fitted outside the case, and it's better because of electrical noise.
I did not use backup feed connection, as TP2 at the Kobo is too difficult to be soldered.
I tested them not covered; the accuracy in height is not satisfying. Or the antenna is too small, or the module needs to be covered, or both.
I will now test with this module:
http://www.ebay.es/itm/171493874434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
It's a bit bigger, the antenna is also bigger (I hope that helps) and has advantage of having self feed to 7 hrs backup data.
I hope to try this version already with LK8000 for Kobo.
I can help and I would like to share ideas with those that are experimenting these changes to Kobo too.
About color: I believe in color.
Recently I become LX Navigation dealer for Portugal and I bought a Zeus 2.8 to my ASW20. It's amazing what we can see in just 2.8" display. Besides visibility, I never saw how a flight computer can be so user friendly, direct in functions and reliable.
But I want a backup system and I think that the Kobo Mini can be great by its visibility.
Many other pilots may prefer a simple computer, like the EOS, that has IGC, great vario, basic navigation and BT, and want an exterior device, no matter if it is an Oudie 2, a V2, an old Mio, a phone or an e-reader. That depends of each one choice.
But when I was last year in a competition with a Kobo, everybody putted it together with their one and become amazed with the visibility. I know that some changed too. Some said: I don't want color, I want to see.
That's why e-readers will be very popular for some time.
Congratulations to the teams that is migrating LK8000 to Linux and Android.
And of course, congratulations for the decision of advancing in that way.

Joćo Rosa
ASW20 CL
Janus A
Go to Top of Page

Matt Cook
Pulcino

53 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  15:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi JPRosa.

I don't know if you have looked at this facebook page ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/815993178428566/?fref=ts

There is a lot of discussion about using the Kobo with XC-Soar, and the issues they are finding. There seems to be quite a lot of electrical noise coming from the Kobo, which can affect the altitude accuracy quite a lot (if I understand what they say !).

I don't know if there will be information there that you find useful.

Matt
Go to Top of Page

JPRosa
Falchetto

Portugal
112 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2015 :  11:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
Installing LK8000, tests brought no significant GPS data errors.
So it's no electric noise problems, it seems to be the software.

Joćo Rosa
ASW20 CL
Janus A

Edited by - JPRosa on 27/02/2015 14:12:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy