PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Paragliders
 Switch between Circling mode and cruise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2014 :  01:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is still time for the release of 5.0.. at least another beta.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Pulcino

23 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2014 :  22:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got to see this thread and wanted to say that I didn't find the thermal exit to happen too soon. 9 seconds as it was in previous versions seems about right for me, especially since when searching around for the thermal one rarely flies in straight line.

In my opinion a long delay for thermal exit will make things worse for long XC transitions where LK8000 is most useful, if one has to wait for thermal mode exit too long.

It is hard to know what most of the LK8000 PG users think about the present settings since most do not check this forum. If there weren't more complaints about this I would be very careful about changing this parameter in 5.0 since it is quite possible that most pilots are fine with the way it is. So I would either make it user configurable (with the default at 9 seconds) or leave it as it was at 9 seconds (which is probably fine with most pilots).
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2014 :  23:02:33  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We only added 6 seconds. Previously using 9 seconds, like for gliders. I think it is ok.
Go to Top of Page

bo.
Pterodattilo

843 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2014 :  09:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris, thanks for your opinion.

Did you test the latest versions with the new setting for thermal exit? I have done some replay of a previous flight, and also one long real life flight of more than 6 hours (and over 120 km open distance, lucky me :-) ). I found the new version to be a good compromise, and certainly better than before. When flying in a straight line starting your transition you don't have to wait for a long time, it's just a few seconds more than before.

As others have reported I think there was a real problem, but yes, only a minority of the users checks this forum or reports back.
Go to Top of Page

bo.
Pterodattilo

843 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2014 :  09:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris, thanks for your opinion.

Did you test the latest versions with the new setting for thermal exit? I have done some replay of a previous flight, and also one long real life flight of more than 6 hours (and over 120 km open distance, lucky me :-) ). I found the new version to be a good compromise, and certainly better than before. When flying in a straight line starting your transition you don't have to wait for a long time, it's just a few seconds more than before.

As others have reported I think there was a real problem, but yes, only a minority of the users checks this forum or reports back.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Pulcino

23 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2014 :  23:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi bo.
No I didn't try the new version in flight but I made many flights with the previous version including a 90km flight and I was never bothered by thermal exit happening too soon. In flatlands having a long delay for thermal exit is not a problem because for transitions you always go down wind. But in mountains this is much more critical, especialy if one uses thermal markers. In that case it is important to have an overview of the arrival altitudes for various thermal markers, which is not possible in thermal mode.
This is just my opinion but again I think it is not good to have constantly changing parameters (it seems like this changed from 3.0 to 4.0 and now it would change again for 5.0). But I am certainly in favor of having this as a user changeable parameter in the PG specific option.
Go to Top of Page

bo.
Pterodattilo

843 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2014 :  23:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you dont have to worry about this one ;) It works ok, you will see. The changes the first time was becaus of a much bigger problem with very long time (or never) before exit of circling mode. But we are not going back to those problems. Before the latest change there was a problem when pushing back upwind after drifting too far back, especially near a ridge. Perhaps not something you would notice in the flatlands, but certainly could be in the mountains. Coolwind does not want to add any more configurable parameters, and I think the current compromise is ok. Please let us know when you have tested it for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2014 :  00:03:44  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Please dont ask for more configuration options. I would like to have a simplier LK version and not a complex version.

Go to Top of Page

sundancer
Pulcino

Czech Republic
34 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  22:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was flying with the latest version on kobo and I find that switching to thermal mode takes too much time! If you touch the bubble and want to use a thermal asistant, you want to see the position of the thermal.But you cant cause you are zoomed out in cruise mode, even after one and half turn.

I found that TOPhat has this setting, and you can set thermal turning detection to whatever value (i used 6-7 sec) which worked really great, even when flying glider!

I think for paragliders we really do need to finetune the thermal mode detecion please.
Can you direct me to the concrete source code that solves this please? What class does solve this detection?
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  23:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The file is https://github.com/LK8000/LK8000/blob/master/Common/Source/Calc/Turning.cpp and there you can find all parameters to tweak. A great deal of flights were tested to decide which was the most average value to use, both for entering and exiting thermal mode. You will discover yourself that there is no easy solution unless you do it manually. Entering earlier while paragliding will make many people unhappy while they are running along ridges, but that's something you can test yourself.
Code is there to be changed easily. If you test, in sim mode, you may test several situations in order to understand what is better for you.

There is line 221 that should be played with. However, what I discovered was that changing the value had also bad sideeffects for keeping cruise mode after exiting a thermal. Good luck and let us know!!

Edited by - Coolwind on 11/03/2015 23:04:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy