PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Development Updates
 Announcing "nimbus" LK Development System
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  03:35:16  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We all know too well how complicated it is to install a development platform to be able to "compile" (generate executable machine code) something. As developers, we had some bad times in the past helping people to join us on the source code, not to mention the fact that we were all testing on different environments.
Now that we "go linux", as a first step towards other operating systems, we felt it was time to settle and solve this problem once and forever.

We want that anybody, even non-techies people, can compile its own version of LK, and change it if they want to do it. Or at least, they can try on that too!

We want that new developers can jump on the project without the hassle of installing tons of things and packages, and be ready to go in less than 30 minutes, most of them spent on a simple single download of a file.

We wanted a friendly environment, exactly the same for all of us, consolidated and easy to maintain.

The only possible approach to fullfill all of this is to provide to everybody a computer, preinstalled, with nothing else to do but run it and find everything in it ready to be used.

Of course, we cannot ship a real computer. We ship a virtual machine instead. This is "nimbus". It is free of charge of course.

Nimbus is a debian 7 linux machine, preinstalled and preconfigured, running under VmWare player (free of charge).
It is 1G file, 7z format, uncompressed is about 4G.
It uncompress in one folder, and you simply open that folder in vmware player. Nimbus is ready to be run.

There is a quick lkmenu to make things easier that automatically appears on startup.
We have notes and instructions inside.

We have DropBox shared filesystem: what you copy in /lk/DropBox appears automatically on other nimbus.
To send a file, or to distribute an NMEA log, it is just as simple as
copying it there.

We have wine and LK installed, running PC version perfectly. COM1,2,3,4 are available and a gps simulator and NMEA replicator that can feed LK with nmea logs.

It is really an amazing approach to development, also exceptional for new people. Just consider that to compile LK you simply have to:

login
cd /lk/github/LK8000
make TARGET=PNA
mv LK8000-PNA.exe /shared

that's right, after login only 3 commands are needed, to expose a new compiled version inside your windows machine. Your own LK!

There is also an embedded chat system inside, to talk to other developers. And all of this can fit on a USB pen drive with at least 4G of space, if you want to "bring the development system" with you around, and run it on different computers.

It does not need much computing power, and it can be run also inside another linux machine: it is a virtual environment, running in only 256 M (mega) of ram.

We are preparing "nimbus" for an official release in january.
Stand by for further announces, and get ready to download the virtual machine!

12Fly
Aquilotto

Netherlands
207 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  11:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does this mean that LK8000 v5.0 is the final version developped by you and your team and all future versions are personalized versions developped out of v5.0 by the user?

I.I. van der Bijl
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  12:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did not say so. We shall still be developing, on this platform, towards 6.0 .
But if anybody want to jump in the development board, now it is a matter of 30 minutes to do it.
Furthermore, there are features inside LK that are optionals, meaning they were developed but never got into production for any reason.
To enable such options, there is a text file called "options.h" with all of them well described.
Once enabled , a simple recompile will generate a custom version.
Go to Top of Page

12Fly
Aquilotto

Netherlands
207 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  14:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coolwind

We shall still be developing, on this platform, towards 6.0 .

That's a relief!
As a "non-techie" I am depending on the official releases of LK8000 and looking forward to the oncoming version 5.0.

I.I. van der Bijl
Go to Top of Page

mazuk
Falchetto

Germany
132 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  18:13:41  Show Profile  Visit mazuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Coolwind,

that's all brilliant but changing the code means also for me losing the validation of the G record !

I know a lot of people don't care because they are using another recorder but as a Paraglider I used only the LK8000 for recording.

Would there be a way to have the logger part pre compiled and just link it to the changes of the main code?

Thank you for all the efforts
Mazuk
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  18:20:57  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mazuk
that's all brilliant but changing the code means also for me losing the validation of the G record !

I know a lot of people don't care because they are using another recorder but as a Paraglider I used only the LK8000 for recording.

Like now the G-Record is only be available in the official release. Any beta doesn't support G-Record. I think the idea will be the same.

Edited by - parapenT1sta on 21/12/2013 18:31:12
Go to Top of Page

jaaaaf
Pulcino

France
81 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  19:05:18  Show Profile  Visit jaaaaf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a relly good news this environment "ready to use".

In my case, I loose all the environment because I was changing my laptop. And as I have again to change my OS in March, I was not really motivated to bring again all the environment.

Thanks for this very good idea !

Jack, competition paragliding pilot _LK8000 on V2, V3, V4, ..._
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  19:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mazuk: I will prepare a special PNARUN that allows people to run their own LK . So your problem will be solved.

Jack: I made a testcase with sergio-tiguy already. He had to compile its own copy of LK starting from scratch.
Sergio, how did it go? You tell us.

Edited by - Coolwind on 21/12/2013 19:33:31
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  20:01:32  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

mazuk: I will prepare a special PNARUN that allows people to run their own LK . So your problem will be solved.

Jack: I made a testcase with sergio-tiguy already. He had to compile its own copy of LK starting from scratch.
Sergio, how did it go? You tell us.

So easy! Took me more time downloading the file than "making" my first LK using "nimbus"!

As as Paolo told, there is a Readme file that helps a lot.

One thing I couldn't do it for obvious reasons, was the programming, I am zero on it! eheh

I'm glad that you found out a way to make G-Record always valid.

Edited by - parapenT1sta on 21/12/2013 23:23:06
Go to Top of Page

mbamberg
Pulcino

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2014 :  05:51:58  Show Profile  Visit mbamberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've downloaded VMWare Player and looking forward to the release of "Nimbus" to the unwashed masses.
Go to Top of Page

cloudsun9
Pulcino

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  20:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what effort it would take to make the process -

login
cd /lk/github/LK8000
make TARGET=KOBO_MINI
mv LK8000-PNA.exe /shared

My guess is a new makefile, any ideas?

Cloudsun9
Go to Top of Page

cloudsun9
Pulcino

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  20:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and what would the third line be in that case?

Cloudsun9
Go to Top of Page

jeffridj
Pulcino

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2014 :  22:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, has "nimbus" been released yet?
If so where do I find it?
If not, any idea when it's likely to be available?

(Kestrel 19 and 22)
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2014 :  23:59:01  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It has not been released. We spent more months to debug v5 and there was no time left to do anything else.
It will be released after august.
Go to Top of Page

ivanson7
Pulcino

Spain
9 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2014 :  14:46:06  Show Profile  Visit ivanson7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, has "nimbus" been released yet?
Go to Top of Page

sirchdobo
Pulcino

13 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  05:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It has not been released. We spent more months to debug v5 and there was no time left to do anything else.
It will be released after august.

has there been any update on this. im keen to see how it works

cheers
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy