PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Change requests and new features list
 More than two airspace files and Lkmaps (DONE)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

obetz
Falchetto

131 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  19:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

what is the easiest (or the intended) approach to use more than two airspace files, e.g. using Lkmaps on Android?

For example to cover Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy to fly in the Alps?

BTW: I have even more files: Airport specific noise protection zones, traffic pattern, temporary restrictions...

I'm glad to find now a trustable source of Italian airspace data at openaip.net but they can't be simply concatenated as I did it with openair files in the past.

Oliver

Edited by - AlphaLima on 17/05/2018 21:22:12

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  21:16:23  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can merge OpenAIP Files.
Copy al data between the section identifiers:
<AIRSPACES>
:
</AIRSPACES>
to the other file into the same section.
Go to Top of Page

obetz
Falchetto

131 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  08:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks AlphaLima.

I know how to merge the files, but:

* I wouldn't expect this from an average user
* It's much harder to automate

Therefore I consider it impractical.

A better solution is needed or it won't be accepted by "normal" people.

One possibility would be to allow much more airspace files than the current two. Consider the alps: You need Austria, Italy, France, Switzerland, Germany, Slowenia (don't know whether Liechtenstein and Monaco have separate files). There should be room for at least one "daily" file (e.g. announced by NOTAM).

Oliver
Go to Top of Page

BravoLima
Aquilotto

Netherlands
276 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  09:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Oliver. I have stored the Dutch and German airspace files in LK as airspace 1 and 2. An additional possibility to insert a daily NOTAM airspace file seems to me very useful.
Even better would be the ability to apply GPS-Aerodata information. Unfortunately, this is only available for LX devices and must be paid for.
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  09:06:18  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is not primary a problem of LK8000,
Merging airspace files is primary a job for tools like SeeYou, StrePla,...
As long the OpenAIP is not supported by these tools the *.aip format will not prevail. Maybe we can add more files, but this is not the correct way as you slow down with this huge amount of airspaces from 3+ countries.
We already support 2 files for cross border flying. If you combine two countries with complex airspace (e.g. GER + NL) speed is slowing down dramatically. So we also need a kind of intelligent airspace selection which is a huge amout of work and tend to be confusing (e.g. in Flight planning).
For the alps I reconmend OpenFlightmaps still suporting Open airspace format.
https://openflightmaps.org/
For OpenAIP we already did our homework in supporting it. Now it is up to others offering merged airspaces for multi country regions or support tool to create such. It's not really a job of the navigation software.

I agree would be nice to have (e.g. filtered by map region) but this is a huge amout of work and our resources a limited.

Edited by - AlphaLima on 07/05/2018 09:22:56
Go to Top of Page

Alus
Pulcino

Netherlands
30 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  13:11:54  Show Profile  Visit Alus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

also the airspace converter tool I did can be used to merge (duplicate OpenAIP airspace will be automatically removed) together more .aip files into a single OpenAir file as requested here.
It is possible to load multiple .aip files, so in this way merging all the airspaces. Then, before converting to OpenAir, it is possible to filter the result on specific lat lon ranges.
I hope it can be useful.

Al.

Edited by - Alus on 08/05/2018 10:53:13
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  17:08:02  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Alus,
thanks for information and your effort, can you post a link to your tool?
Do you see a chance to include time dependencies as requesteted here:

http://www.postfrontal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8755
Go to Top of Page

Alus
Pulcino

Netherlands
30 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  23:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Alus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi AlphaLima,

about the converter tool you can find everything here:
http://www.alus.it/AirspaceConverter/

And about time dependencies I will take a look (if and when I will have time).

Al.

Edited by - Alus on 08/05/2018 10:52:18
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2018 :  18:14:11  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that we can merge a lot of airspace files. I've added a filter to exclude airspaces outside the terrain.
https://github.com/LK8000/LK8000/pull/1188
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2018 :  18:05:50  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK was a lot of work but here we go:
https://github.com/LK8000/LK8000/pull/1191
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2018 :  21:28:53  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well done AlphaLima!!!
Go to Top of Page

obetz
Falchetto

131 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  15:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, thanks!

Now I can automate my compilationof standard airspaces with Alus' converter and add more than one "ad hoc" airspace.

Oliver
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy