PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 Smartphones are getting brighter displays
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

wrogers
Pulcino

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2018 :  08:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marco,

I don't see how to pair bluetooth through LK8000 on my Nokia 8 using 6.1r. No bluetooth button in device setup. Am I missing something here?

BTW, if you go to my post comparing Vertica V2 and Nokia 8 with images, the URL links now work. It just doesn't display photos in line.

Walter Rogers
Palmdale, California
Discus 2a "WX"
Go to Top of Page

wrogers
Pulcino

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2018 :  08:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marco, never mind. I turned Nokia 8 BT on then paired it with Nano from phone. Then was able to select it from LK8000 Setup->Device Setup

Walter Rogers
Palmdale, California
Discus 2a "WX"
Go to Top of Page

Parsifal
Falchetto

Italy
167 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2018 :  01:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last sunday I compared my Oudie2 Lite with my brand new Xperia XZ1 Compact (279euro in Amazon Prime Day offer): in full sunlight, inside the cockpit of my glider, the phone was by far more readable (sorry, no pictures...).
The XZ1 Compact has an extraordinary battery (almost two days of normal use as a phone), and it should last enough, especially if supported by a power bank, that indeed is essential with the Oudie2 Lite.
Yet, my doubt is about keeping a smartphone in a bright and hot cockpit for many hours...

P.S.: The XZ1 Compact has also an internal baro sensor

... fai delle nubi il tuo carro, cammini sulle ali del vento ... S.104,3

Edited by - Parsifal on 24/07/2018 01:20:48
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2018 :  17:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smartphones are very reliable these days, but heat can be an issue if you do not take preventive measures, but when taken certain measures, it will be OK.

I had it last Saturday during a contest! It was a very hot day under the blazing sun (30+ degrees C)

First take off on the winch I could not find a thermal, so I had to land back. During the tow behind the car back to the grid, I made the mistake to leave the phone in the cockpit, and I did not put on the cockpit cover.. I had to wait for other starting aircraft for about 10 minutes before I could return to the starting grid. Result was that the cockpit got heated up quite a bit, including the phone. I could make a new take off right after putting the glider in position, so when I sat ready for take off, I discovered that the Nokia 8 was in sleep mode and a big warning panel the phone telling me it got too hot, and closed all running programs, including LK8000.

My retrieval crew mate was so clever to put the moist towl that I always have around my neck for cooling on hot days like this, around the Nokia for cooling.. This cooled the phone quickly and i could take off normally with LK8000 fully functioning... The cockpit was still quite hot, but leaving all vents and airscoop in the sliding window open for a while brought everything back to normal, and I did not experience such a overheating warning again.. and flew my best AAT ever that day!

Lesson learned:

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PHONE IN THE COCKPIT UNDER THE BLAZING SUN WITHOUT THE COVERS ON.

Furthermore I do the following
1: I install my phone just minutes before start, so I can keep it out of the sun, quite cool in my pocket
2: I do NOT use fast charging, which sometimes happens when using a power bank that provides the latest and greatest charging specs, the charging capacity of the Bt Module I still use is only 5V 1.5 or 2 Amps.
3: Make sure the phone is (almost) fully charged before start (keep it on a power bank in a cool place), the power supply will then need only limited time to charge the phone and keep it charged to 100% the rest of the flight, which does not cause extra heat.
4: If you use a case, make sure it is a white one so it deflects the sunlight, actually I am thinking about buying a white case, only for gliding, for my rather dark matte blue Nokia 8, because when left in the sun this phone heats up in no time

I do not know what kind of display the Xperia uses, but Amoleds suffer a bit from burning in (Xiaomi phones are notorious for this, white will get yellowish on these phones after a while, looks terrible!), the IPS LED displays like the Nokia 8 uses, do not have this problem and can be left on fully bright all day without any issue. The only thing is that the backlight may deteriorate a bit faster, but before I will notice, I probably will have another phone anyways.

I hope this helps!

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
http://www.zweef.nl/
Zweefvliegcentrum Noordkop, NETHERLANDS
Go to Top of Page

Parsifal
Falchetto

Italy
167 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2018 :  09:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marco for the extensive advice!
Display is IPS 4.6" and my case IS grey/white.
Will try in autumn, now I keep my Oudie Lite...
Nice landings

Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2018 :  10:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IPS is good!

Don't worry too much about the heating problem, just use it, you will see it is not much of a problem once you are flying. You do not get overheated yourself, do you? So why your phone would? :-) I have been flying with smartphones for many years before I had the Glider Guider, and I know of people flying with Iphones using Iglide also already for many years. We never experienced overheating problems, not even during the hottest of days (33 degrees or more!). You will love the quick response of the phone, and overall way smoother operation, then the Oudi... I will never go back to the GG.

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page

Parsifal
Falchetto

Italy
167 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2018 :  20:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco from Hangar 5

IPS is good!

Don't worry too much about the heating problem, just use it, you will see it is not much of a problem once you are flying. You do not get overheated yourself, do you? So why your phone would? :-) I have been flying with smartphones for many years before I had the Glider Guider, and I know of people flying with Iphones using Iglide also already for many years. We never experienced overheating problems, not even during the hottest of days (33 degrees or more!). You will love the quick response of the phone, and overall way smoother operation, then the Oudi... I will never go back to the GG.

I'll do it, Marco, thanks!
But now I don't want to change my setup, risking to have something notworking in flight...
Still, if I can, I'll shoot and post here some photos...

Go to Top of Page

stayhigh
New Entry

Sweden
1 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2018 :  21:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Home from the store after comparing Nokia 8 to my Xperia XZs, and indeed, the Nokia 8 does seem a bit brighter than the XZs. Did however not get a chance to test the Nokia 8 in direct sunlight.
Nokia 8 also seemed brighter than the iPhone X and Galaxy S9 (indoor).

Have been flying with Xperia XZs for one season, and the readability in sunlight with sunglasses is quite OK.
Of course I would like an even better, brighter, display for next season...

Looking a bit at the sunlight contrast ratio table at gsmarena.com, which gives each display/phone a score depending on nits/glare/reflections:

Apple iPhone X 5.013
Samsung Galaxy S8 4.768
Samsung Galaxy S9 4.63
Sony Xperia XZ3 4.502
Motorola Moto Z2 Play 4.459
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge 4.439
OnePlus 3 4.424
Samsung Galaxy S7 4.376
Nokia 8 4.239

A phone that scores even higher than the Nokia 8 is Moto Z2 play (even though it has only 430 nits), which also has an attractive price. Anyone here with experience of it's sunlight readability? Or anyone else with Nokia 8 experience that can compare it to above list?

Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2018 :  16:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can say that with an Nokia 8 you get a very nice, reliable working Android Phone. Beside the exceptional good sun readability it also gets the latest Android updates (Android 8.1.0 with the august 1 security patch right now) very good battery life, and stock android without bloatware.

Something that you will see nowhere mentioned in review websites like GSMaerena, because it is very specific for how we use the phone as a navigation aid in a bright sunlit cockpit, is the following:

Important is that the Nokia has an IPS LCD display and NOT an Amoled.. Amoleds suffer from Burning in, when set to max brightness for hours on end like we do.. So even if they score better then the Nokia 8, I would not pick an Amoled display phone.. like the Moto Z2 Play.

So the only one that would survive from your list is the Nokia 8 (2017 version, not the new Scirocco, this one also has an Amoled display).

Just go for it, you will not regret it.

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page

Mtbrider
Pulcino

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  18:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using my Samsung S7 this year. The only problem has been leaving it open to sunlight whilst the glider was parked up, without a canopy cover on it. I had a warning that the phone would not charge as it was too hot. Easily sorted by taking the phone out or covering the canopy. The phone still worked anyway.

The screen was easily readable, Baro pressure and all the features of a modern phone.

For Condor I connect a Samsung Galaxy Tab via Bluetooth, so I do not upset the S7's settings or create "false" flights.
Go to Top of Page

davesalmon
Pterodattilo

United Kingdom
1620 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2019 :  21:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just bought a reconditioned Nokia 8 quite cheaply, mainly on your recommendation Marco. Not been able to fly with it yet, and waiting for delivery of the Soartronic BT module. Very impressed with the screen visibility even with the sun shining on it. Was also pleased to see it has a barometer, which I didn't know about, is it accurate?
My question, how exactly do the Lumen buttons work? I usually fly with Terrain off, Topology on, and a white background ,which gives very good screen visibility. However with Terrain off the Lumen buttons do nothing. With Terrain on, then by using Lumen+ the screen will brighten until the Terrain bleaches out, and the screen looks just like it does with Terrain off. So does this feature only work with Terrain?
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2019 :  11:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davesalmon

Just bought a reconditioned Nokia 8 quite cheaply, mainly on your recommendation Marco. Not been able to fly with it yet, and waiting for delivery of the Soartronic BT module. Very impressed with the screen visibility even with the sun shining on it. Was also pleased to see it has a barometer, which I didn't know about, is it accurate?
My question, how exactly do the Lumen buttons work? I usually fly with Terrain off, Topology on, and a white background ,which gives very good screen visibility. However with Terrain off the Lumen buttons do nothing. With Terrain on, then by using Lumen+ the screen will brighten until the Terrain bleaches out, and the screen looks just like it does with Terrain off. So does this feature only work with Terrain?

I have no idea, because I never find the need to use these Lumen buttons, I also use LK8000 with terrain on in the low lands map mode. Works for me..

I am sure you will be quite happy with the Nokia 8, the smooth operation, accurate barometer and bright display make it a perfect device inside the glider cockpit.

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039

Edited by - Marco from Hangar 5 on 18/03/2019 11:47:40
Go to Top of Page

davesalmon
Pterodattilo

United Kingdom
1620 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2019 :  17:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is how it seems to work, only if Terrain is ON. I've now checked the baro 2 ways, against a digital GT Altimeter attached to my V2, and also compared with a local weather site. Both show it to be within 1hPa, about 10m, so quite happy with that.
Go to Top of Page

hpronto
Pulcino

Portugal
41 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2019 :  01:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 on the Nokia 8, on a hang glider.

Thanks for the tip, Marco!
Go to Top of Page

obetz
Falchetto

131 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2019 :  10:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long lasts a fully charged Nokia 8 without external supply?

I'm currently testing a Huawei Mate 9, it has a very bright display and an 4Ah battery lasting more than 5 hours in bright sun!

A Galaxy S7 is also bright but suffers from burn-in after flying approx. 50 hours.
The SGS7 annoys with frequent "charging stopped" messages if it gets hot and is connected to a power source.

The Huawei Mate 9 seems to short the charging input if it gets too hot (I didn't fully investigate this yet). And it stops logging GPS data if LK8000 goes to the background or the screen is off.

Oliver
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy