PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 More than 1 Bt module
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  17:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

For many years I use a Bt module from Glidertools (Vladimir Fux) to connect my Flarm and now my S80 with my smartphone, worked and still working very well.

On a wifi module is worked on to make a connection with my KRT2 radio, but seems to be more difficult then we thought to build (everything is very small!!).. As a fall back scenario I am thinking of using a second Bt module, as someone has offered me a Bt module for connecting the radio with LK8000.

Now I wonder if this is possible to use more then one Bt source the same time.. I think it should be possible, because my phone is also connected with my Smartwatch via bt, and also connects with my car without any issue.. But how many Bt connections it can handle the same time? I don't know..(Nexus 5X Android) may also depend on the type of Bt.. with the Bt module it is "serial port profile" and with the KRT2 radio it would have to pair to a second "serial Port profile" Bt .

Anybody here who has success with connecting to more than one "serial" Bt module? like one for Logger/flarm and one for radio or something else?

Thanks in advance,

Marco

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
http://www.zweef.nl/
Zweefvliegcentrum Noordkop, NETHERLANDS

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  16:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Googled a bit yesterday..

In theory, Bt 4.0 and higher can connect to 28 devices the same time, but may be limited by the Operating System or device hardware.. Some phones connect without any issue to more than 1 device just fine (Iphone), where others seem to have their limits (Nexus 6P, older Nexus 5) or need a trick to establish more than one connection.. Many posts on the internet where people have Bt earbuds and want to connect with their car handsfree phone system, but then get in trouble with the audio not streamed to their earbuds but the car speakers, or audio gets erratic.

But reading all this I think it should be possible to use two Bt modules and connect them the same time to LK8000 on my Nexus 5X, which has Bt4.2, but if someone can confirm this and using this already in their aircraft, that would help.

Thanks!

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2018 :  19:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I will just test it in my Mini Nimbus soon, and if it works I let you know!

For connecting my radio to my smartphone I have contact with a guy on a Mini Nimbus owners group on Yahoo. He has made a nice Bt Module, that plugs just in the KRT2 connector so it is very easy to install. He will send one to me to test, if it works together with my other Bt module, it confirms that you can have two Bt modules connected to your phone the same time.

To be continued!

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2018 :  16:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This week I received the radio BT module to test, but no success :-(

If the Radio Bt module is connected, the Flarm module data is not received, once the Radio module is removed, Flarm data is received again (checked using the terminal button), so it seems once the Bt protocol is occupied, no second device can be added to the same protocol.

Googled the question if I could connect two Serial Port Profile devices to my Nexus 5X, and found a lot of hits pointing in the direction this is not possible. You can connect several Bt devices to your phone, as long as they use all different protocols (like a speaker, a handsfree set and a Bt GPS).. But using two devices that need the same Bt protocol (in this case SPP) is not possible. A lot of questions about connecting two speakers or two sets of Bt earbuds etc.. all of this is not possible.

But the guy who sent me the module uses only Bt in his cockpit, he connects a Flarm/Gps, the Radio (with that same Bt module), Bt sound box and a Bt key board and everything works just fine! But... he uses an Intel Compute Stick, that has windows 10 as OS (!), and runs LK8000, via HDMI port he has a big sun readable display in his panel.

We continue to search for a solution, but at the moment it seems impossible.

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2018 :  19:58:06  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
use WiFi or IOIO!
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2018 :  23:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you are right Alphalima, I will pursue the wifi option now... but this could have been a very easy fix for connecting the radio to LK8000. It was a temporary measure anyways untill the wifi module is completed.

Sam explaned to me he can define upto 256 virtual com ports with windows 10, and that is the reason he can use so many Bt devices the same time.

BUT.. I am not giving up completely, found a Bt server app that might solve the problem. will try this weekend, and if that also doesn't work I give up :-).. Installing the Bt module is 10 seconds work, because it simply plugs in the dsub of the radio:-) very simple and super easy solution.. and worked like a charm, no interference whatsoever.

Ok, to be continued!

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy