PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Development Updates
 Glidertracker Tracking HUB (Skylines forwarding)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  09:21:43  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lukas and me designed a tracking hub.
There are various tracking techniques available (FLARM, modile, Spot, ADS-B,..)
The hub is designed to combine all these data and forward it to tracking websites like skylines, glidertracker, KTrax, ..

https://www.glidertracker.org/hub/

Comments welcome in ths thread!

Edited by - AlphaLima on 08/06/2017 09:25:49

davesalmon
Pterodattilo

United Kingdom
1620 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  10:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firefox is saying that the link is not secure.
Go to Top of Page

bo.
Pterodattilo

843 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  10:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, looks interesting. Is this a Web solution to combine data that is already available online at different sites?

You should have a look at Garmin Inreach (previously Delorme). Similar to Spot, but with better coverage and two way communication based in the Iridium satelite network. Different subscriptions are available. Standard is 10 min tracking intervals, but 2 min intervals are also possible, mainly targeted at GA.

I have used this system for a few years for paragliding, it works nicely.
https://explore.garmin.com/en-GB/inreach/
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  10:46:25  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bo.

Hi, looks interesting. Is this a Web solution to combine data that is already available online at different sites?

Right, but you can also feed it directly with LK8000 tracking setup and forward the data e.g. to skylines.

We will check if we can support Inreach as well.

Go to Top of Page

bo.
Pterodattilo

843 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  10:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would also like to mention another project that seems somehow related to yours, but also includes a hardware solution. I do not know anything else than what you can read for yourself here:

http://www.air-ware.co.uk/about-airware-paragliding.php

It is being used with LK8000 by the way. Could be nice if the two projects could converge somehow, if there are any benefits of that.

Go to Top of Page

kestrel19
Falchetto

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  14:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davesalmon

Firefox is saying that the link is not secure.

To expand- the reason given is an invalid security certificate- it's valid for glidertracker.org but not www.glidertracker.org. (I've made a similar mistake in the past).

In fact https://glidertracker.org/hub/ works perfectly well, and presumably points to the same place.

Soar the big sky
Go to Top of Page

mzeddd
Pulcino

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2017 :  16:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice to see Airtribune, Flymaster and Livetrack24 data on the same map.
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2017 :  16:13:42  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you select the glider symbol, you can see the actual tracking receiver in the upper right corner. The possibke receivers are:
SKYLNS (feeding via skylines 1min. Interval)
ADS-B
MOBILE (feed over glidertracker.org)
SPOT
or
the name of the OGN receiver.
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2017 :  22:55:06  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://glidertracker.org/hub/?content=howto

The manual:
https://glidertracker.org/hub/files/TrackingHub2.pdf
Go to Top of Page

mzeddd
Pulcino

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  07:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it mean that this tool is going to be just an agent between my tracker and tracking site designed specially for my tracker???
Go to Top of Page

bo.
Pterodattilo

843 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  09:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Adding Garmin Inreach should be quite possible, other sites use their API to present Spot and Inreach data on one page.

One example here: http://www.wherearethepilots.com/php/ShowPilots.php?CC=NoLeague&ShowAll

After some quick googling, here is probably the documentationyou need:

https://forums.garmin.com/archive/index.php/t-366513.html

Go to Top of Page

JBlyth
Aquilotto

Australia
229 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2017 :  03:52:17  Show Profile  Visit JBlyth's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolutely fantastic, AlphaLima. It took me a while to work out the setup as I had missed the link to the Manual and I had some confusion on setting up the Feed configuration page, but now I have it working perfectly.

I am sending from LK8000 and also have the feed to and from Skylines.aero working nicely as well. Lots of possibilities with your http://glidertracker.org/ brilliance!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia
Go to Top of Page

danielvelez
Falchetto

Colombia
145 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  04:00:37  Show Profile  Visit danielvelez's Homepage  Click to see danielvelez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Try to get "loctome.com" interfase working with your software too... Itīs becoming a nice standard for paragliding and hanggliding (even it appears as an approved android software logger for IGC flights).

Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  20:03:27  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danielvelez

Try to get "loctome.com" interfase working with your software too... Itīs becoming a nice standard for paragliding and hanggliding (even it appears as an approved android software logger for IGC flights).

loctome.com doesn't work for me (all blind links). What do you think is the advantage of such comercial pages over our open platform?
When I followed the XAlps last week, it was much worse and slower compared to glidertracker.

Edited by - AlphaLima on 10/07/2017 20:27:51
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  23:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Yesterday I finally managed to get the Tracker HUB feed to work, but I had many tries before I succeeded.. and yes I did read the manual .. by now I think 6 or 7 times all in all, haha!

Before starting my critics I want to express my appreciation for all the work Alphalima and Lucas have put in this tracker hub website, I think it is a great addition to LK8000 and tracking of airsports in general. I know it is a work in progress and many improvements will follow, I hope my pretty bad experience with setting up the feeds will help to improve the website and manual as well.. because like it is right now, I am sure many of us who have tried, will give up and don't even bother to tell you guys about it! because of the many problems they are facing..

I encountered the following problems, that can be prevented for a great portion if the manual and/or feed setup is slightly changed.

1. Order of Manual instructions is not consistent with the feed setup.

When reading the manual, you have to start with setting up your mobile LK8000 app, filling out a Pilot tracker username and password.. note these can ONLY BE IN CAPITALS, because LK8000 keyboard is made so.. After that you have to make an account and password in the tracker hub website, which the manual explicitly says does not need to be the same as what you just filled out in LK8000.. So I make an account in small caps.

Then its time to setup the first feed.. and here the problem starts.. The just made username of the tracking website is filled out by default. The Tip label tells me to fill out this user name in LK8000.. but.. I already done this per step 1 in the manual.

It confused me! It took a great while before I understood that here the same username and password must be entered as in LK8000 tracker settings! and it had to be in CAPITALS as it is case sensitive!

Advise: DO NOT fill out the username and password by default, because it is the WRONG username! and the password ('PW') is nonsense. Change the Tip label text to say the LK8000 username must be filled out here, so this is consistent with the manual

2. Copy and paste of codes generates an error

When I tried to copy and paste the Skylines tracker code and ICAO code from the respective websites, this generated an error when trying to save the feed.. The error message says non valid characters are used.. probably hidden code for font and color etc. So the only possibility was to enter manually by typing, this is prone to errors.

Advise: make it such that copy paste of code is possible, like everywhere else on the internet. Manual typing leads to errors and many unnecessary questions from users

3. Ticking the Activate box before saving generates an error.

When filling out the feed, the first thing you see, reading from left to right, is the activate tick box... So I tick it, before filling out the rest, fill out the codes, skylines.. yes everything OK.. .. the save button is at the end.. CLICK.. ERROR... wtf.. Done this several times before it landed in my brain that maybe I should save first before activating the feed.. BINGO.. it works.

Advise: This mistake, which I am sure many of us have made or will make, can be prevented a great deal by removing the activate tick box from the front and place it at the end behind the SAVE button, and make it a button or a slider, change it to ON/OF in stead of Activate. Make it clear in the manual that the feed MUST be saved first before you can turn it on.

4. When made an error, you have to start all over again

Every time I made an error I had to type everyting all over again, this is very frustrating, especially because copy/past of those totally illogical codes does not work and use of caps lock for user and password.. Frustration leads to even more errors and more frustration.. indeed I went on going to do something completely different to cool down before starting for the 4th or 6th time to attempt to set up a feed... geeezz..

Advise: make it such that the filled out text is not removed, and the error field is highlighted or something.. Point us to the error, show us what we do wrong..

5. Manual is sometimes difficult to read and understand

This is more a general remark, the Manual is quite extensive and sways out to many unnecessary details making it difficult to read and distinguish the important from the not so important. I think the instructions can be condensed to be within one A4 page, because in reality it is really not that difficult or extensive. But because of your involvement, enthusiasm and dedication, so many details tips and other things are intertwined between the important instructions, it makes it quite vague to read and understand as a whole.

Advise: Make the Manual instructions more step by step, to the point and consistent with what you see on the website. Leave details and tips to a separate chapter, like "tips and tricks".
Have a few instruction 'sets' for different situations, like one set for Flarm only (OGN), one set for Mobile only (Skylines, Livetrack24), one set for ADS-B only (Glidertracking, Flightradar24, K-trax) and one for Flarm+ADS-B+Mobile. This makes it easier to write and therefore also easier to read and understand.. combining all different situations into one instruction set, makes it complex and harder to understand.

I hope this will help you guys to improve the website and manual a bit. My job is writing modification and inspection instructions for airline mechanics, i know how hard that sometimes is and what I have written is not always understood as I had it in my mind, leading to sometimes unexpected results.

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
http://www.zweef.nl/
Zweefvliegcentrum Noordkop, NETHERLANDS

Edited by - Marco from Hangar 5 on 12/08/2017 01:08:31
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  23:55:15  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Marco thanks for the feedback,
please be aware that the HUB is not an LK8000 part but a glidertracker.org addition, a lot of users don't even know LK8000. So the manual is not straight forward from the LK8000 point of view.
Which browser are you using? If you use a chrome webbrowser, most of your points are obsolete.
Please feel free to improve manual, it was already revised ba a native english person. I can send you the original Word file.
https://glidertracker.org/hub1/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy