PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 LK8000 on openvario
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

ernst-dieter
Aquilotto

Germany
203 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  15:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The openvario project (openvario.org) delivers all infos to built a DIY-gliding-computer. I saw one recently at the last german soaring pilots meeting in Berlin in reality, a nice thing. And I asked if LK would also serve as software within. The gyus did not known and could only guess roughly "yes why not". Within this device works a linux loaded Cubie-board which also has some sensors connected. As software it runs Xcsoar which has a "quick menu" option that gives the possibility to access the main program functions by switches and a mini joystick directly from the stick. LK lacks such a "quick menu" and so the chances to use it on the openvario-GC are restricted. This GC can be now ordered at stefly.aero as a kit (~620€) which is described to be assembled within 2 hours. May be makes sense to check carefully if LK could get a chance on this GC?

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1090 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  10:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in theory no real problem, required change is not huge :
- implement new device driver for sensor board
- allow keyboard navigation for nenu, config dialog and map "click"

but without device it's hard to do anything ...
Go to Top of Page

AlphaLima

Germany
1978 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2016 :  09:39:14  Show Profile  Visit AlphaLima's Homepage  Reply with Quote
as allways, we need the hardware (donation) to support it. Otherwise testing will become a nightmare.
just my 5ct.
AL

Go to Top of Page

mihu
Pulcino

14 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  09:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could use the touchscreen so keyboard navigation is not strictly required, but (with the stick remote) in my opinion the much better option for in-flight operation. I think Paolo experimented with BT keyboards / numpads some time ago, so maybe some of what is required is implemented already. The stick remote is nothing but an Arduino acting as a keyboard, so you could use any keyboard for testing.
For first development work a Cubieboard2 (~50USD), HDMI monitor, USB keyboard and sensord replay (instead of live sensor data) might be enough. In a perfect world one of the developers would fly an OV in his glider, and have one development unit at home.
I think almost all information we have is on www.openvario.org or somewhere in the thread in the XCSoar forum, but if you have any specific questions I will try to get an answer for you.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1090 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  10:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mihu

You could use the touchscreen so keyboard navigation is not strictly required, but (with the stick remote) in my opinion the much better option for in-flight operation. I think Paolo experimented with BT keyboards / numpads some time ago, so maybe some of what is required is implemented already. The stick remote is nothing but an Arduino acting as a keyboard, so you could use any keyboard for testing.
For first development work a Cubieboard2 (~50USD), HDMI monitor, USB keyboard and sensord replay (instead of live sensor data) might be enough. In a perfect world one of the developers would fly an OV in his glider, and have one development unit at home.
I think almost all information we have is on www.openvario.org or somewhere in the thread in the XCSoar forum, but if you have any specific questions I will try to get an answer for you.

Michael

right, but i have simple rule : i spend too much time on this project for spend also money on hardware i don't use in flight...

so, i can work on support of CubieBoard, but i need one and i don't want to buy one.

Bruno

Go to Top of Page

Victor 8
Pulcino

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  11:52:46  Show Profile  Visit Victor 8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Bruno,
I fully understand your concerns. I have a tested and working OpenVario with Sensorboard available, which could be used for the time needed. Please send me a personal mail with your address, then I will arrange the shipment.
Best regards,
Dieter
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  12:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am afraid it is never a matter of having temporarily the hardware to implement a driver. Problems rise later, when firmware changes, when bugs come up, and then without the hardware to test on we strive to make remote tests with end users.
In the past this led to a such a waste of time. It is always possible to do it, but lets not confuse borrowing with donating hardware.. we are not really hardware collectors, only we know what happens when a user reports a problem and we have no idea how to replicate it. No hardware hand-on, no support for it..
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1090 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  14:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor 8

Hello Bruno,
I fully understand your concerns. I have a tested and working OpenVario with Sensorboard available, which could be used for the time needed. Please send me a personal mail with your address, then I will arrange the shipment.
Best regards,
Dieter

thanks for the offers, but like Paolo say, for long time support we need device permanently...

for OpenVario device, only CubiBoard2 are really mandatory, it's not expensive device, so if few pilot contribute, i think it's not real problem ...

looking builder database in openvario web site, it seem's one pilot leaving in Paris have build one, so we can try deal with him... ( i'm also from Paris ).

Edited by - brunotl on 09/11/2016 15:06:03
Go to Top of Page

Victor 8
Pulcino

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  22:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Victor 8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Bruno,
I absolutely agree with your opinion. I would donate a Cubiboard 2 permanently. As mihu said, this is a good base to start from, using an USB-keyboard and a mouse and a HDMI-monitor. If this is ok for you, please let me know and I will order one. Thanks and best regards,
Dieter
Go to Top of Page

Victor 8
Pulcino

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2017 :  11:45:55  Show Profile  Visit Victor 8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a short update message for LK8000 users: Thanks to Bruno`s effort we have now a first beta-version of LK8000 running on the OpenVario flight computer. There is still a lot of detail work to do but the basic functionality seems to work fine. Information about the progress can be found here: http://www.openvario.org/redmine/boards/3/topics/1277
Many thanks to all contributors!
Best regards

Dieter

Go to Top of Page

ernst-dieter
Aquilotto

Germany
203 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2017 :  16:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cited information is somewhat locked (login, pw)
:-(
Go to Top of Page

Victor 8
Pulcino

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2017 :  18:36:31  Show Profile  Visit Victor 8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Ernst Dieter,
Sorry for the unusable link (you need a login at our redmine server). I recognized it too late. If someone wants access to the OpenVario redmine project management system, please contact admin@openvario.org By the way, LK8000 Ver. 6.1 c is running perfectly stable on OpenVario (there are still some details missing, but it looks very promising at the first glance). Communication with Flarm works fine and the speed of the Cubieboard is absolutely sufficient. CPU load is usually below 20%, even with heavy user interaction.
Best regards

Dieter
Go to Top of Page

ernst-dieter
Aquilotto

Germany
203 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2017 :  08:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A picture is always nice
Go to Top of Page

Victor 8
Pulcino

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2017 :  20:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Victor 8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ernst-dieter

A picture is always nice

Go to Top of Page

Victor 8
Pulcino

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  19:29:52  Show Profile  Visit Victor 8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello OpenVario Users,
a LK8000 image (for OpenVario with 7" Pixel-Qi Displays) for testing can be found here:
ftp://ftp.openvario.org/images/LK8000_OpenVario/OpenVario-linux-ov-image-glibc-ipk-17047-openvario-7-PQ070.rootfs.img.gz
the neccessary installation procedure with micro SD-card is described here:
http://www.openvario.org/doku.php?id=projects:series_00:software:write_image_to_sd
For those who prefer an USB-stick:
http://www.openvario.org/doku.php?id=projects:series_00:software:usb-stick
http://www.openvario.org/doku.php?id=projects:series_00:software:recovery
to start LK8000 from the commandline:
cd ..
cd ..
cd /opt/bin
./ovmenu-ng.sh
Feedback from testers is highly appreciated...
Best regards

Dieter

Go to Top of Page

mihu
Pulcino

14 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  22:57:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to make it clear and avoid frustration: writing an image from an USB drive works for updates only but not with an empty µSD card. Write the image with dd or some image writer in this case.

Michael
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy