PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Paragliders
 Raster (tile based) maps for LK
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mzeddd
Pulcino

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2016 :  20:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

What do you think about the following idea?

Some time ago I started topic about LK maps with OSM data but I found it not very easy to support plus on the place with lots of objects screen gets overloaded and LK goes down because of RAM limit on GPS.

http://www.postfrontal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7240

Now I think it whould be good to have raster map which could be switched on/off whenever you want like an existing multimaps or configurable button like TOP-RIGHT. The map itself could be number of Google/OSM/Yandex map tails with some scale. The map should be oriented with NORTH on top. User should be able to move map up/down/left/right but at the same time it should see where he and his destination TP is. If glider position or TP goes out from screen special arrow shoud appear to let user know where to move map to make it visible again.

You can report where you are when you know the landscape below, but it is hard to remember each and every road & village far from start point.

Edited by - mzeddd on 02/08/2016 17:03:21

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2016 :  14:09:29  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Raster maps require a great deal of memory. I already tried and used raster maps in the past. Worst of all on raster maps you cannot rescale Topo or city items names . Lk can load on basic pna up to 10 thousands way points and on Kobo a recent devices no limits at all . The way to go if you want more Topo items is to create a secondary database and use it as way point file. We did it for thousands of mountain peaks for the Alps .
Go to Top of Page

mzeddd
Pulcino

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2016 :  15:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've been thinking about possible memory problems with raster maps as well.
Maybe for newer devices like KOBO or Android-based(I hope in nearest future) it should not be a problem.
If you use tail based approach you'll have to have maximum (I think it is maximum) 9 tails on the screen.
Each tail is 3.5kb so total memory consamption is small.

I don't think you should do rescale for images because name on the map tail is already in good scale.
Just open one of images below and put your cell phone or GPS close to it. It should be readable.
https://vec03.maps.yandex.net/tiles?l=map&v=4.91.0&x=5101&y=2562&z=13&scale=1&lang=ru_RU
https://vec01.maps.yandex.net/tiles?l=map&v=4.91.0&x=10200&y=5122&z=14&scale=1&lang=ru_RU

Secondary DB is an option but if you zoom out you'll get your screen painted with lots of the labels.

That is only my thinking and I wish I could have it in the air.
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2016 :  18:50:17  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Raster maps are possible only combining den maps and Topo maps. Zoom out is not a problem, we get bad results zooming in. For this reason we should create easter maps at 200m zoom level and they are huge . Hundreds of megabytes.
Go to Top of Page

mzeddd
Pulcino

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2016 :  13:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you right. The squere 50km*50km map can be 100mb. It means that 200x200 map will be 1.5G.
For new devices it is not much.
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2016 :  02:55:38  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That size has to be fully loaded in memory, you know.. 1.5G in memory is a hell of space.
Go to Top of Page

mzeddd
Pulcino

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2016 :  10:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have everything in one picture it is true, but in case of tails approach you need to keep in memory less than 100kb (if one tail is about 10kb)
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2016 :  12:31:17  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We don't have tiles support.
We render in real time terrain topology and all overlays including airspace and gauges, once per second. We could render two or three times per second on new hardware.

Edited by - Coolwind on 21/07/2016 23:29:53
Go to Top of Page

mzeddd
Pulcino

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2016 :  14:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today using SAS Planet(http://www.sasgis.org/download/, sorry page is in Russian, but English language exists in program settings) I downloaded tails (PNG) for 285km*177km map range for scales 11,12,13 and 14.

The size of the root directory is 54.3Mb.

I don't think it should be a big problem to combine togeather several tails to get one picture and operate it like you usually do for terrain.

Tail based map is very easy to update and exdand. Just copy tails you need.

Edited by - mzeddd on 22/07/2016 14:21:34
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2016 :  02:19:02  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good, then all you have to do is spending some time developing tiles support and rotation..
Go to Top of Page

mzeddd
Pulcino

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2016 :  09:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

If I prepare class which loads tails from disk, merge and rotate them, Can you help me to integrate it into LK?
Currently I could not compile latest code in NIMBUS. I get "Segmentation fault" in Linux version once I start it.

//Valery
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1097 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2016 :  10:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mzeddd

Hi,

If I prepare class which loads tails from disk, merge and rotate them, Can you help me to integrate it into LK?
Currently I could not compile latest code in NIMBUS. I get "Segmentation fault" in Linux version once I start it.

//Valery

yes, of course !

Edited by - brunotl on 26/07/2016 10:44:48
Go to Top of Page

mzeddd
Pulcino

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2016 :  08:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't hit me hard. I have not worked with C++ for ages :)

In the ZIP file (link below) you can find what I've done.

https://paraplan.ru/forum/files/6139/t7Wnsi9Z.zip

This example shows how to load tiles (from Open Street Map) and rotate image.

Image rotation is not very fast process so it is better not to make it for big images. Anyway algorithm could be optimized using fastsine LK marco for example.

How to work with OSM tiles can be read at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Slippy_map_tilenames

The rotation algorithm I used from here http://zhukovsd.blogspot.ru/2010/04/blog-post.html
This page is on Russian and about Delphi but anyway...
Go to Top of Page

mzeddd
Pulcino

Russia
82 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2016 :  14:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the updated code for tiles and rotation.
https://paraplan.ru/forum/files/6139/qTIihVq0.zip
It works much faster than before.

In this case I rotate each tile before put it into the result image.
It is faster but result is a bit worse.
- It worse becase it includes rounding only for one tile, but not for big picture. This negative impact is visible when you look one by one list of pictures with 1-5 degrees difference
- It much faster becase retation is very similar for each tile, so calculations should be done only for one tile.

Edited by - mzeddd on 01/08/2016 16:25:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy