PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Development Updates
 LK8000: Road to Linux
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2014 :  03:40:52  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Was created a group on Google to help organizing the port to Linux:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/lk8000roadtolinux

GoFly Instruments is giving away 5 GoFly Project V4 to the first 5 developers committing code towards the Linux porting.

https://github.com/brunotl/LK8000/tree/_road_to_linux

Edited by - parapenT1sta on 21/12/2014 16:52:47

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2014 :  16:54:19  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bruno was able to make the first Linux Build!

For more info: http://goo.gl/vdwYzd

Linux first, Kobo after? :)
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2014 :  18:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kobo is linux, Sergio. Congrats Bruno!
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2014 :  18:43:56  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I meant "Android" :-P eheh

Linux/Kobo - Android :)

But is nice to see we are getting somewhere...
Go to Top of Page

Hytsky
Pulcino

23 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2015 :  23:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eink is way better than everything else what comes to readability in sunlight. I have been flying with NOOK 2 summers. Even with only 16 shades of grey (not even 50 ;^) and some delay in Android platform. Linux should be much better.

Great news, I hope success for this project!
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2015 :  01:04:23  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The development system is here
http://tinyurl.com/LK8000-NIMBUS

warning 2G file 7z format!
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2015 :  00:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, At least my LG Nexus 4 can be changed into a Ubuntu Touch device.. soooo.

http://youtu.be/13WFcVmDfZg

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch

:-)

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
http://www.zweef.nl/
Zweefvliegcentrum Noordkop, NETHERLANDS

Edited by - Marco from Hangar 5 on 25/01/2015 01:22:13
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2015 :  01:02:32  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I also have a Nexus 4, let me know how it goes!
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2015 :  01:07:26  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you cant kill a Nexus 4 like that Marco!!
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2015 :  01:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'r right! I wont kill it NOW haha! I was thinking in the future, sorry TiGuy :-)

By the time LK8000 is ready on Linux, my Nexus 4 will be replaced for another phone I guess (2-3 years maybe), leaving it for experiments like this.. :-)

But if someone has an obsolete Nexus 4 lying around, maybe it can be donated to you, so you have a another device to test Linux LK8000 on. The Nexus 4 has been used to develop Ubuntu Touch, and is still a work in progress. Lot of things work already, but some required apps for LK8000 are still work in progress, like Bluetooth SPP is not on the list yet and the GPS also needs some work (A-GPS not working yet)

Anyway, at least something to keep an eye on!

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2015 :  03:56:06  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Marco, by then you should have LK8000 for Android :)
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2015 :  23:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TiGuy82

Marco, by then you should have LK8000 for Android :)

Even better!

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2015 :  14:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A quick update on linux porting. We are solving the graphics glitches due to the different environment, it is quite long work to make it perfect because this time we want it to work on all resolutions with no compromises (almost).
Fonts and buttons are next step, because right now they are not good on some resolutions.
Apart from cosmetics, we have no crashes. The code is exactly the same of V5 which is quite solid, except for the graphic libraries and other peculiar things on linux.
Personally I think it can be used in flight as an alpha version soon. A stable Alpha.
But to make it a beta version (that is: a version where all the problems we could spot have been solved already, or at least they are tolerated and documented) it will take some more time. It is not difficult work at this stage.

Here are some snapshots taken from the latest LINUX version.

A mantainance updated version 5.0b is due very soon for the upcoming season, probably before end of february. Since the release of v5 we did not receive a single software crash report due to LK in normal usage, which is what we wanted to achieve last year when we delayed v5 for three months in order to solve any possible problem, even the weakest and remote chance that something evil may happen. So only a minor and not so necessary 5.0b is coming out.

The good news is that all of the hard work made during the past 5 years is totally compatible with the new operating system. That's because all of the features, user interface, functionalities (profiles, map interaction, gestures etc.) were designed and implemented without using peculiar Windows APIs thinking about portability, as far as possible.
Nevertheless, it was a long and complicated work which Bruno accomplished alone and well described with "a light at the end of the tunnel" when finally the first linux executable was working, less than two months ago.
The Kobo version is using 600x800 resolution (Kobo mini) and thus all the graphics issues were given priority over other things. Right now, with the latest changes from last night, it is usable in flight since all of the overlays are greatly painted as they should (the overlay painting function is no more resolution dependent since today).

That's all about it, work goes on, standby for further news.

Edited by - Coolwind on 17/02/2015 14:30:59
Go to Top of Page

JPRosa
Falchetto

Portugal
112 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2015 :  11:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made my first tests with LK8000 for Kobo.
As told this is just like an alfa release, cosmetics are not done as first objective is to fond and correct bugs.
After changing the general "grey" aspect, this are my first impressions running on a Kobo mini, with Drotek GPS module (PA6H chip), installed by myself:
- LK800 runs fantastic: fast running and data acquiring;
- Screens change very fast;
- No significant GPS data errors: I had reliable height data and vario;
- LK8000 runs better that other aplications on Kobo - before I tested the same unit with Top Hat.
So I believe it's a promising version. Congratulations to all team.

Joćo Rosa
ASW20 CL
Janus A

Edited by - JPRosa on 24/02/2015 11:12:08
Go to Top of Page

Thunderdonkey
Pulcino

39 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2015 :  16:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is great to hear of the progress that you are making with Linux and Kobo. I defected to XCSoar because an EInk screen is so much easier to see in bright sunlight, but I would prefer to use LK8000.
My Kobo Mini is unmodified; I get GPS data from my Digifly Leonardo using USB-OTG through the existing USB connector. Can I put in a request for USB-OTG on LK8000/Kobo? It would make the application accessible to all those without the skill to modify their E-Reader.
Go to Top of Page

brunotl
Pterodattilo

France
1096 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2015 :  19:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
USB-OTG not depends of Software running, depends only of device Kernel, so if your device have kernel with USB-OTG support, that's work already.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy