PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Development Updates
 Beyond LK 5.0 : going linux..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  03:14:30  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many people have been waiting for this announce.

LK8000 is going to be ported to linux, and then to other platforms linux-based.
Development is going to start as soon we close the 5.0 version, which is due in january.

But we are working right now to prepare the tools and organize the work.

We have decided to adopt quite a revolutionary approach to facilitate people join the development team. As soon as we are ready we shall explain better how to do it.

That's all I can say by now.

paolo

freewing70
Pterodattilo

Italy
1268 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  12:59:00  Show Profile  Visit freewing70's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That means Android porting?!

- enrico

Edited by - freewing70 on 07/12/2013 12:59:25
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  16:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No
Go to Top of Page

mach02
Pulcino

Czech Republic
35 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  17:45:37  Show Profile  Visit mach02's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But for example - Raspberry PI is waiting for it. And there is open space for adding another sensors (baro, vario ...)
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  17:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not only Raspberry.
As I wrote first we go linux, then..
Go to Top of Page

wrogers
Pulcino

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  00:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wondering if an Android tablet could be used as a remote thin client to LK8000 on a Linux box? Can remote client apps handled the touch interaction - Multitouch for example. Perhaps any device/tablet with a browser could access the LK8000. The Linux box could be very small and low power with an Arm processor.

Walter Rogers
Palmdale, California
Discus 2a "WX"
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  02:21:14  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
@wrogers: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zpwebsites.linuxonandroid

Edited by - parapenT1sta on 08/12/2013 02:22:57
Go to Top of Page

wrogers
Pulcino

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  07:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh... I get it. Install Linux on the Android tablet without touching your existing Android install. Keep your tablet for general use but gain the flexibility of developing LK8000 with powerful Linux tools and library. Great approach! Now... which Android tablets have the very bright sunlight readable display?

Walter Rogers
Palmdale, California
Discus 2a "WX"
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  11:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@wrogers, that might be a additional application, more as a side effect. But what I understand from other posts the original reason of this linux development is to make it possible to run LK8000 on other PNA's that are linux based, like Tomtom devices. This will open up a whole bunch of PNA's with damn good displays and fast processors..

At the other hand.. (read the very first sentence in this wiki page)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

..so the hard "No" of mr. Coolwind might get a little softer in the furure :) one step at a time :)

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
http://www.zweef.nl/
Zweefvliegcentrum Noordkop, NETHERLANDS

Edited by - Marco from Hangar 5 on 08/12/2013 11:44:05
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  12:44:00  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The reasons of this new development are two in fact.
1. We feel it is quite hard to go beyond 5.0 in terms of functionalities, or better: we know that most pilots will need a couple of years to understand and make full use of .. 4.0 features. Not to mention 5.0 So it is time for a stop, and a consolidation period.

2. Whatever comes after Windows, we want to be able to move on. and we start with pure linux for practical reasons. It is much easier to develop and test on a friendly platform than on a emulated or remote device.

Android is an hack over linux. It is not a friendly environment for a "mission critical" application. It does look good with all nice menus (if we use them, and get rid of the DOS-looking configuration menus), but basically the whole system is around the concept of constant communication throught the internet, with over 210 application running doing nothing all the times in the background, etc.
We dont need to run 221 applications, we need to run 1 (one) only: and alone, if possible, not aside 220 other things.
Remove those spare things, and what remains is linux. In other words, to customize android and get rid of useless stuff, what is left is linux. So we start porting to the father OS, and then we decide which "children" is better to adopt too.

LK works already fine in Linux using the "WINE" libraries. WINE is being ported to android, too, announced in february last year, sooner or later will get over the android crap too. VmWare had announced and shown their virtualization engine making running windows stuff on android, but never released it in the end. So we move on.

Where is linux? Everywhere. It stands under Android devices, at boot, before the "chroot°.
It is inside tablets such as Kobo, and any device that is dedicated to a specific application (ebook reader, for example).

I am not going to make long discussions on these matters, simply this is what I believe it is better to do right now.
And the way we shall do it, is going to be.. interesting at least. Quite unusual.
Development things, anyway, dont interest much to pilots.

We grant a rock solid 5.0 by the end of january and full support for it until the next 6.0 will be made.

Go to Top of Page

wrogers
Pulcino

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  18:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paulo,

I fully support this announcement and approach to LK8000 evolution. My other non-professional interest with computers has been with Linux since the mid 1990s. So, I'm not only speaking as a contest glider pilot, LK8000 user, but as an open source supporter.

Walt WX

Walter Rogers
Palmdale, California
Discus 2a "WX"
Go to Top of Page

parapenT1sta
Pterodattilo

Portugal
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  02:06:25  Show Profile  Visit parapenT1sta's Homepage  Click to see parapenT1sta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wrogersNow... which Android tablets have the very bright sunlight readable display?

Maybe the Quechua Phone: http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=59028
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  03:16:16  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is really worthless to discuss which devices will be running LK next year, at this stage.
We are not doing this new work to make LK run on linux PC , for sure, because it already works with WINE, perfectly. Just be patience, things are moving.

Edited by - Coolwind on 09/12/2013 03:40:22
Go to Top of Page

dellybeanhead
New Entry

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2014 :  18:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5.0 hip hip hooray. Well done guys.

can you give us any more info on the linux work? The tease above is intriguing.

I am now running xcsoar on a kobo. Readability is the perfect. But I miss lk!

Edited by - dellybeanhead on 25/01/2014 18:13:21
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2014 :  16:30:16  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What else do you need to know?
Curently we are still after the 5.0 delivery. The development system for porting to linux is ready and it will be distributed with the 5.0 source preinstalled, when we are done with it.
Go to Top of Page

janpol
Pulcino

Netherlands
53 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  18:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting!

A few weeks ago I bought a Kobo mini e-reader. Added a small GPS receiver and placed it on a corner just like: http://www.gleitschirmdrachenforum.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=21526&d=1385056438 Now I have a stand alone, light weight, sunlight readable, cheap unit for long flights, but at the moment not supported by LK8000

@dellybeanhead: And I also miss LK8000. I did not like the the user interface of XCSoar. But with Top Hat (fork of XCSoar) this looks promising. But I have no experience in real flight with this combination.

Edited by - janpol on 12/02/2014 19:00:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy