PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 E-book reader
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matts
Pulcino

Finland
23 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  12:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will LK 8000 run on this device http://www.amazon.com/dp/140053271X ?

Matts

wolf_pg
Falchetto

Czech Republic
180 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  13:17:14  Show Profile  Visit wolf_pg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not, unfortunately.

- any GPS module, however it is possible to connect with external source, but work with some of them, only
- android 4.0
- I was not able to find info about CPU frequency. WinCE GPS units require 500+ MHz

wolf
---------
SOL paragliders and Holux aero GPS distributor
Go to Top of Page

Matts
Pulcino

Finland
23 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  13:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a short film where it runs XCsoar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a28I9u0fYO8&feature=youtu.be
Go to Top of Page

wolf_pg
Falchetto

Czech Republic
180 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  13:43:08  Show Profile  Visit wolf_pg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
but you asked for LK8000 :-), LK8000 is on WinCE platform only.

yes, some tests were made, but as I wrote, no GPS inside this unit.

wolf
---------
Go to Top of Page

Matts
Pulcino

Finland
23 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  14:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I know. But I asked because I was hoping
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  14:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also keep an eye on this e-reader development, because Amazon has aquired Liquavista from Samsung May 13th, and expectations are high Amazon will come with a new line of Kindle tablets/e-readers that will use this new electrowetting display technology that REQUIRES bright ambient light, the more sun it receives the better readable it gets.. HD resolutions, video playback capable, NO backlight required when in daylight environment, hence very low power draw (no external power supply or battery pack required!) so very suitable for inside our cockpits!

But a drawback with these devices is that they do not have the right Bluetooth or COM communications on board, it will force us to start using wifi or other means of communication with our loggers.. because the Kindles will probably also do not have a real GPS module, like the current Kindles also do not have GPS on board (only one version has a real GPS on board I believe)

BUT, Butterfly already uses Wifi communication to connect with I-phone for integration with I-Glide, this is established with a very small wifi module, that sends RS232 protocol over a wifi connection and should be the way to create two way communication with our loggers and other devices.

Another concern is that the Kindle will be a 7 inch or larger device, so for side mounting in a glider it won't be very practical, however for panel integration it might be great!

Knowing the price of the current Kindles, the price will probably a lot more attractive then the PixelQI or Mirasol displayed devices ($1000+ !)

And than we have of course the operating system, windows CE will be out of the question, Android probably and maybe windows 8 RT.

I know, this is how I see it right now, and may turn out completely different.. I decided I could no longer wait for this development and bough a GliderGuider, also because my HTC HD2 smartphone has started to act weard sometimes.. Works OK for now, but has its drawbacks as well.

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
http://www.zweef.nl/
Zweefvliegcentrum Noordkop, NETHERLANDS
Go to Top of Page

Hytsky
Pulcino

23 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  20:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did the video Mats linked here. I have been flying with this setup once. Connection with IOIO card was not yet stable. Worked about one hour, then I needed to restart everything, then another hour, and troubles again.

But the display readability was outstanding. With all respect to developers of flight navigation devices with very bright displays, e-ink is way better, without any back-light. After one flight with NOOK going back to 700 NITS LG phone was painful. (Big mistake to test NOOK at all...)
Go to Top of Page

Marco from Hangar 5
Pterodattilo

Netherlands
886 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  21:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.. and 700 nits isnt bad.. the here so hailed Vertica V2 and GG are 800-900 nits.. I am really looking forward to the release of the first Kindles with Liquavista displays.. may take a while though, Christmass maybe :)

It is guys like you Hytsky that bring us forward, I hope Fat Albert is also still with us, because he did some ground breaking work with the Mirasol and PixelQI displayed e-readers, (both Android, but he worked something out with a remote desktop over wifi, enabling him to run LK8000 on an Android..)

I see a very 'Bright' future for LK8000 :)

Marco
BU (PH-588)
Mini Nimbus HS7, s/n 039
http://www.zweef.nl/
Zweefvliegcentrum Noordkop, NETHERLANDS
Go to Top of Page

Hytsky
Pulcino

23 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 :  19:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This device seems to have 6 inch e-ink display and Windows CE operating system.

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Soribook
Go to Top of Page

wolf_pg
Falchetto

Czech Republic
180 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2013 :  09:28:13  Show Profile  Visit wolf_pg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks pretty, but:
- any GPS module present inside
- greyscale display only
- Cpu: 532MHz ARM11 Core is on bottom line of usable range
- RAM: 64MB Mobile DDR is too small, twice capacity is minimum
- USB type is not described

too much questions by my opinion

battery durability "10,000 screen refresh battery life"

wolf
---------
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy