PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 Holux 61
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

wolf_pg
Falchetto

Czech Republic
180 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  09:06:00  Show Profile  Visit wolf_pg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rotor

I understand that this 4-pin cable with free ends is part of delivery B001, correct?

yes. it is part of delivery of all versions in fact, but this particular part is usable in B001, only.

Entire versions system is set as modular one, to cover most wide possible requirements of clients, which offer easy modification some version to their contemporary solution, additionally.

If you need combination of original cradle with TTL I/O you have to select Basic001.

In case, that you need TTL I/O without rock solid cradle, you have to select FF001.

It will be possible to place FF001 and XC001, light holder versions, into original, slightly modified cradlle, soon. Hopefully.

wolf
---------
SOL paragliders and Holux aero GPS distributor
Go to Top of Page

rotor
Pulcino

59 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  09:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this moment I do not need a connection to other instruments.

I'm planning to use the 61CS as a "stand alone" and only want to connect a GT-altimeter and 5v batterypack for external power. The cradle is fitted to a RAM mount.

I'm unable to use the onboard power supply of our club-gliders because of the already high power-consumption of the other instruments.

Do you still recommend the basic option?
Go to Top of Page

wolf_pg
Falchetto

Czech Republic
180 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  13:28:25  Show Profile  Visit wolf_pg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

At this moment I do not need a connection to other instruments.

I'm planning to use the 61CS as a "stand alone" and only want to connect a GT-altimeter and 5v batterypack for external power. The cradle is fitted to a RAM mount.

I still recommend you Basic B001:
1. You need cradle.
2. Basic version contains TTL I/O interface, suitable for GT altimeter. Special modification for your purposes is available; specify it (USB mini B male/female) in your order eventually ;-). If you will need connection to FLARM etc., appropriate TTL/RS 232 adaptor should be add only.

quote:
I'm unable to use the onboard power supply of our club-gliders because of the already high power-consumption of the other instruments.

Some current will by flow through GT altimeter, certainly. I still highly recommended having charging by different line. This is possible to do by modification of 2 pin charging line, which should be cut between 2pins connector and 12/5V DC converter. This modification could be done, certainly, under your specifications, again.

quote:
Do you still recommend the basic option?

Yes, see above.

4 all: Please, take this as sample, that 4 modifications could be "tailor-made" in accordance of particular requirements.

wolf
---------
Go to Top of Page

dc2mw
Pulcino

18 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  17:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One problem solved, next problem occured.

My 61cs does not charge lipo battery when external power is applied. So at the moment I have to remove it and use charger of smartphone and some tape to fix it there.

When inside 61cs:
It does not charge via miniUSB in battery case.
It does not charge via cradle round 2 pin connector.
External amperemeter does show 0 mA current when device is in suspend mode and 50% empty lipo battery is in device.
But it should charge battery!

When 61CS is running LK8000 on external power, it is 2 watts if full lipo inserted. It is also 2 watts if empty lipo inserted.

LK8000 does correctly detect that battery is disconnected when external power is applied. It shows "---" when external power and "51%D" when on battery.

A MioM400 shows e. g. "99%C" when external power, and on battery "85%D".
While charging battery, power consumption is significantly higher than with fully charged lipo.

All of the above indicates that 61cs does not charge its battery.
Has anybody made similar observations?

BR
Marcus
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  18:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I charge from miniUsb regurarly using a common 1.5A power supplier used for many other PNAs, nothing special. I dont remember if there is any control for charging in the control panel.
Be sure not to let the battery drained, which is bad for lipos.
the 61 like many other CE devices does not really switch itself off, so it is better to charge it and remove the battery for storage until next reuse. I do like that, no problems.
If the battery goes to 0, you must wait for some time before it really start charging again while it is attached to the power through the cradle.
Go to Top of Page

mazuk
Falchetto

Germany
132 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  19:23:05  Show Profile  Visit mazuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

the problem is, that the Holux supplied battery has a temperature resistance (-) to (T) of about 10k the China 2450mAh has abt. 75kOhm!
So all what you have todo to keep the 61CS happy put a 12kOhm resistor to the teminals - and T and the battery will be charged.
You can see it in the power management of the device. Without the resistor it doesn't charge!

See:

Ciao
Mazuk
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  00:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mazuk, you are obviously referring to that "custom" 2450ma battery. The standard battery in the 61 does not require anything.
Go to Top of Page

clouseau
Falchetto

Czech Republic
188 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  00:21:37  Show Profile  Visit clouseau's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mazuk, You already tried how much better is this 2450mAH marked battery in comparison with the original?
What is the running time difference?
Thx

PG Axis Polaris - Advance Impress 2 - Brauniger Compeo - GoFlyPico - Vertica V2 - Samsung S WiFi 5
Go to Top of Page

mazuk
Falchetto

Germany
132 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  09:08:11  Show Profile  Visit mazuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coolwind,
yes I refer to any other none standard Holux battery. The Holux battery DOESN'T require any modification and will be charged as soon as you connect external power!

Clouseau,
no I didn't try yet how much longer the battery will last. But will do the next days and post the results.

Go to Top of Page

dc2mw
Pulcino

18 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  10:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Mazuk!

I confirm, original battery has about 75 kOhm at T pin.
But my original battery arrived "dead".

Replacement "Polarcell" has about 9.5 kOhm at T pin.
It does not charge in any way tried ... PC via USB, external power via cables delivered with 61cs, nor does a charger of any smartphone/camera work!

So option for everybody who needs to replace battery is to modify T Pin with a 11 or 12 kOhm resistor.

Find attached two pictures of my way of modification.

I used a piece of copper foil and a 1206 chip resistor with 12 kilohms.
Brown tape is some capton only for safety, metal container is one battery pole and these silver shiny stickers contain metal foil.
Copper foil is soldered to battery contact with one little dot, be careful this black plastic around contacts does melt when soldering takes too long.
Clean contacts with some alcohol (no acetone!) so that solder flux does not prevent electrical contact.

http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/2930/3mbteq3u_jpg.htm
http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/2930/p96srgut_jpg.htm

Now charging is no problem and it does not matter how external power is applied.

BR
Marcus

P. S. I am sorry for that picture hoster with ads and popups :-(

Edited by - dc2mw on 23/06/2012 10:32:40
Go to Top of Page

wolf_pg
Falchetto

Czech Republic
180 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  11:18:24  Show Profile  Visit wolf_pg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dc2mw

Many thanks Mazuk!

I confirm, original battery has about 75 kOhm at T pin.
But my original battery arrived "dead".

Replacement "Polarcell" has about 9.5 kOhm at T pin.
It does not charge in any way tried ... PC via USB, external power via cables delivered with 61cs, nor does a charger of any smartphone/camera work!

Dear Markus,
I will check the charging problem with Holux technicians again.

I and other 61CS unit users was not faced to this problem yet, but I remember, that one of wall charger was not able to charge battery.

I used charging by car lighter adapter and cradle in emergency, when battery was very low, especially.

Unit charging by USB cable from PC or NTB is not recommended.

Cordially.

W.

wolf
---------

Edited by - wolf_pg on 23/06/2012 11:30:19
Go to Top of Page

wolf_pg
Falchetto

Czech Republic
180 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  14:01:45  Show Profile  Visit wolf_pg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
DELIVERED BATTERY CHARGING ISSUE

I made some tests home. If the wall charger is with current capacity less than 1,0 A, than battery is not charging, but DISCHARGING and very quickly!!!

This is one reason, why charging connectors and cables are separate from other connectors!

I recommend you highly to check your wall chargers at first....and than manipulate with batteries.

Take it as preliminary info. I try to get confirmation from Holux on Monday.

wolf
---------
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2012 :  14:35:06  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why bothering Holux, I think the specs for the charger are clear.
And all PNA's chargers - wall and car - are 1.5A with no exception in my desk.
I dont see any problem charging the default battery, both through cradle and through the miniusb plug.
The only important thing is like for any other lipo battery: do not let it go to 0% otherwise you need some time to start the recharging process, and most likely the battery will not be at best anymore.
Go to Top of Page

dc2mw
Pulcino

18 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  22:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!

My charging problem has nothing to do with type of charger or used method.

Mazuk and me have replaced original Holux batteries.
He did this to get higher capacity with this "2450mAh" battery.

I needed to replace a Holux battery that was dead on arrival.

Our problems come from different temperature probes inside battery packs.
Devices decide if temperature is in a range suitable for charging.
If too high or low then battery wont be charged.
Value that nokia like batteries send at normal temperature is interpreted as NOT normal by Holux device ... so no charging.

So in both cases we needed to tell 61cs that temperature is ok and suitable for charging battery. This is done by adding this resistor.

This modification is for sure done on own risk. Temperature probe then is disabled. This resistor tells 61cs always "everything fine you may charge".

So this problem has nothing to do with type of charger and everything is fine when using battery that came with Holux device.

BR
Marcus
Go to Top of Page

mazuk
Falchetto

Germany
132 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2012 :  12:45:19  Show Profile  Visit mazuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As prommised here are the results of the battery comparision
original Holux 2:10
China 2450mAh 2:55

As you can see another China FAKE !
OK a bit better but never 2450mAh !!

Ciao
Mazuk

Edited by - mazuk on 25/06/2012 12:46:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy