PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Change requests and new features list
 Additional infobox request (OPEN)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

kestrel19
Falchetto

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  16:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope this is easy.

Can you add "Arrival Altitude at safety Macready" to the available infoboxes?

This already appears on screen 1.3 as TskArrMc0 but it would be useful to have it available in a navbox on final glide; that way it would be possible to see how much additional safety margin could be available from reducing speed.

[THIS HAS BEEN CHANGED INTO ARRIVAL ALTITUDES AT MC0, both for next and task, so there will be 2 more infoboxes in 1.22]

Soar the big sky

Edited by - Coolwind on 25/03/2010 22:21:15

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  17:01:35  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We already have Arrival altitude using safety MC.
TskArrMC0 is using MC 0..

There is a lot of confusion with safetyMC, I am seriously thinking about removing it and use current MC for all calculation. Safety altitude will remain.
Only a thought..
Go to Top of Page

a.durbin
Aquilotto

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  21:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coolwind

There is a lot of confusion with safetyMC, I am seriously thinking about removing it and use current MC for all calculation. Safety altitude will remain.
Only a thought..

Paulo, please don't remove pilot selectable safety MC.

I would like to know my arrivals both at current MC and at my selected safety MC setting. If anything goes away it should be MC=0 since, if I want to have MC=0, I can just set safety MC=0.

Like kestrel19 I was unable to find "Arrival Alt at Safety MC" in the selectable parameters for info boxes. ( I looked at everything listed at Config page 19, InfoBox Auxiliary). What is the parameter name?

Andy (GY)
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  21:30:02  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arrival Altitude.
Did you read the manual btw?

Edited by - Coolwind on 25/03/2010 21:30:31
Go to Top of Page

kestrel19
Falchetto

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  22:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did read the manual before checking it out in sim mode. The only "Arrival altitude" I could find on the configuration screen was described as "Task Alt.Arrival". This appears in the nav box as "TskArr" and is definitely dependent on the Macready setting- increasing the Macready setting reduces the arrival height and vice versa. It coincides exactly with the height showing on the final glide bar, and TskArr on screen 1.3. At a high Macready setting it is wildly different from TskArrMc0 (which you would expect to be close to arrival at safety Macready.

I tried using "Next Alt Arrival", but it did the same thing.

Like Andy I would like to be able to see both arrival at current Macready and arrival at either Macready zero or safety Macready, but I can't see how to select the latter in the configuration.

I appreciate TskArrMc0 is doing this, but it doesn't seem to be available in a nav box.

Soar the big sky
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  22:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All arrival altitudes available in infobox are dependent on MC as explained at the arrival altitude explanation on the manual.
I will create in 1.22 two more infoboxes for arrival altitudes (both for next and task) at MC0 then. I already have those values, as you say.. but I am only painting them on infopages, I did nt think they were necessary as infoboxes as well.

Go to Top of Page

bo.
Pterodattilo

843 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  23:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds nice. But make it Arrival at SafetyMC instead of MC0. Then the user can set sMC to 0 or 0,5 or whatever.
Go to Top of Page

a.durbin
Aquilotto

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  23:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Arrival Altitude.
Did you read the manual btw?

Yes, I read the LK8000 manual, but I have to admit it is still not completely clear to me since the definition of many of the displayable parameters is not complete.

The way I hope it works is this:

Arrival altitude is computed using current MC setting if current MC greater than safety MC.
Arrival Altitude is computed using safety MC if current MC is less than or equal to safety MC.

So, if I have MC 5.0 set and want to know my margin at my safety MC of 1.5 I have to reduce MC to safety MC or less. This takes several steps and is not quick if I am using Auto MC.

If I have an info box which always gives arrival at safety MC (TskArrMcS) I don't have to do anything to get the information.

What did I misunderstand? All of it? ;)

Andy (GY)

Edited by - a.durbin on 26/03/2010 00:14:45
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  23:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Correct!

My fault, the manual is not clear on this. Perhaps it was written on the forum months ago!!! Argh.

Ok, but.. do we need Arrival Altitudes at sMC or MC0?? Or both??

Go to Top of Page

a.durbin
Aquilotto

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  00:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, but.. do we need Arrival Altitudes at sMC or MC0?? Or both??

My opinion is that Mc0 is not needed since I assume anyone thinking of glide margins at Mc0 would either not use safety MC, or would set safety MC to 0.

In that way NxtArrMcS or TskArrMcS can be made equivalent to Mc0 if that is what the pilot wants.

On the other hand, how hard is it to provide both? Let the pilot build the custom info boxes with whichever he likes.

thanks!

Andy (GY)

Edited by - a.durbin on 26/03/2010 00:11:40
Go to Top of Page

kestrel19
Falchetto

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  00:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say we need to have two available: arrival at current Macready, and arrival at safety Macready (the pilot decides whether he wants safety Macready at zero).
I would hope to display both in navboxes (or one on overlay, one in a navbox) on final glide together with auto Macready and Macready speed. My preference would be to have arrival at sMc on the overlay, as now.

Soar the big sky
Go to Top of Page

kestrel19
Falchetto

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  00:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, just realised my last post is unclear (it's getting late). By arrival at sMc I mean at current Macready setting- as we have now. In other words, leave the overlay figure alone and provide arrival at safety Macready in an infobox.

Soar the big sky
Go to Top of Page

Coolwind

Italy
8957 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  01:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Coolwind's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, got it.
sMC with priority, MC0 if it comes free.
For both Next and Tsk, so 2-4 new infoboxes.
Go to Top of Page

MPusz
Aquila imperiale

Poland
683 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  09:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also think that Safety MC should be used for all the calculations. The pilot can configure to the value he wants to use (even = 0). Doing calculations for smaller MC settings is dangerous because pilot may not be able to reach such a glide efficiency.

The only exception to the above should be presented speed (MC and Dolphin). It should always be calculated for set MC event if it is smaller than Safety MC. Pilot should be able to try fly with better efficiency than Safety MC.

Regarding arrival altitudes with Current and Safety MC. I use Glide Bar Indicator for that. It does not provide an exact value for Safety MC but you will know when you are able to reach the destination. I hope that this bar works with SafetyMC and not MC=0. Paolo?
Go to Top of Page

modellbobby
Aquilotto

323 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  09:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No the bar is for Tasks and is using MC value (no safetyMC)

One thing must be clear regarding safetyMC. LK8000 is using "at least" SafetyMC for calculations according landables and obstacles. It is not calculating with safetyMC if you set MC higher than safetyMC. This is what i got from Paolo in our last discussions

Edited by - modellbobby on 26/03/2010 09:55:54
Go to Top of Page

MPusz
Aquila imperiale

Poland
683 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  10:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Final Glide Bar is able to present values for 2 different MC values. It always present a value for current MC but if you are close to reach the destination it also adds results to what XCSoar manual refers is "MC=0". I am not sure if Paolo changed it to SafetyMC when he introduced that parameter or it is still MC0.

Edited by - MPusz on 26/03/2010 10:27:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy