PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 XC Tracer II Kobo Aura 2 USB-connection

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Andrew Mogg Posted - 12/11/2017 : 19:06:50
Does anyone have any advice on how to connect the XC Tracer II to a Kobo with the splitter cable? I havenīt had any luck yet getting it to work.
Iīm not even sure if itīs possible.

Thanks,
Andy
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alstonbk Posted - 30/03/2018 : 06:02:15
Success! Having made a custom FTDI TTL USB to mini USB cable, the Nano worked perfectly with LK8000! Because of the conversion cable, the port remains /dev/ttyUSB0, just like the USB "hockey puck" GPS and the device LX Colibri/Nano. Well done LK Team!
brunotl Posted - 28/03/2018 : 00:46:55
before making cable, try on on your PC, with PC version, if it work that can work on kobo with external power, if not, no chance ...
alstonbk Posted - 27/03/2018 : 20:44:12
Checked my Nano manual...one of the configuration options is to enable NMEA output; "The Nano will transmit the following NMEA sentences GPGGA, GPRMC, LXWP0 every second and LXWP1 once per minute." Maybe that setting doesn't work!? ;)

I will be making/trying a custom cable for the Nano to see if that changes things for me.
brunotl Posted - 27/03/2018 : 18:16:45
usb Host on kobo require external power, so without Y cable and external power, you can't use your Nano
looking NANO user manual, i'm not sure nano can provide Nmea data over usb ...
alstonbk Posted - 26/03/2018 : 22:16:08
Thank you for the guidance and suggestion @brunotl. I have successfully used a "hockey puck" GPS USB connected to my OTG Y cable, power supply, and Kobo running LK8000 6.1r! LK does give me the /dev/ttyUSB0 port when the GPS is connected. I still am not getting any other port than /dev/ttymxc0 to use for the Nano when I connect it using the straight USB cable; so no GPS signal from Nano can be received. I suspect is it what I mentioned before, I need a different type of cable to connect the Nano, something like this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9717 with a mini USB connector for the Nano side.

I will try using a different USB to mini USB cable. Has anyone else used a Nano with a straight USB to mini USB cable through an OTG Y cable?
brunotl Posted - 22/03/2018 : 12:11:11
if you connect USB serial DEvice to kobo, you should have port named : /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyUSB0 and another named id:device_name

if you don't see that, your have hardware problem. check your usbOTG Y cable AND your external power.

alstonbk Posted - 21/03/2018 : 15:14:03
Good thoughts Andrew! I am suspecting the cabling at this point. I believe my ports are OK as I can use both the Kobo and Nano cables connected to my PC directly just fine. The cable I am questioning is the one from the Nano to the OTG Y cable; possibly I need something other than the standard USB cable...more like a custom FTDI cable with a mini USB end for the Nano and standard USB end for the Y cable connection. Is this what you have?
Andrew Mogg Posted - 21/03/2018 : 06:54:49
I don't know if I'm way off, but I finally realised that my USB port on my Kobo was not in good shape. I also noticed that I only had one cable that was able to connect the kobo to the computer. I'm saying that maybe you have your settings right, just that it's not connected. With mine it was connected enough for a power on when the cable was stuck into the USB-port, but it would not stay connected. Like it was loose or something.

I also had issues with power of and on. When it won't turn on, hold the power button for 3 to 5 seconds, let go, wait another 3 seconds, push again. See if that works.
alstonbk Posted - 21/03/2018 : 01:00:02
Upgraded to 6.1r...OTG version confirmed. Turned on power bank and Nano. Made sure Nano was receiving GPS signal before starting LK8000 on Kobo Aura. Same result as before, no GPS signal to Kobo. Tried changing various settings one at a time as shown below. Each time checking the terminal after comm ports were reset...no data.

1.) Different ports. LK8000 gave errors (no port found) except when using /dev/ttymxc0
2.) Different Baudrate 4800 (made sure Nano was also set to 4800)
3.) Different device names GENERIC, LX, and back to LX Colibri/Nano

Interesting side-effect of selecting power off from LK8000. I get the LK8000 power off screen but cannot re-start Kobo using physical power button.

Any additional thoughts?
brunotl Posted - 20/03/2018 : 13:15:54
quote:
Originally posted by alstonbk

I have a similar question on getting hardware to work with LK8000, but not XCTracerII. I am using LX Nano with the Aura 2 and an OTG Y cable from an external power source; other ends go to the Kobo and Nano respectively. Nano has the "Enable NMEA output" on and BAUD rate set to 57600. LK8000 has the device 'A' configuration set as:

Name: LX Colibri/Nano
Port: /dev/ttymxc0
Ext. Sound: Off
Baudrate: 57600 8bit

Not getting anything from Nano to LK8000. What have I missed? Do I need to use a different device name and port? Maybe the BAUD rate cannot be 57600?

"/dev/ttymxc0" is internal serial port of Aura 2, not usb port.
parapenT1sta Posted - 20/03/2018 : 10:35:31
Yes, you have the correct version.

Can you tell what ports do you have on the Port list?

Make sure do you turn on the external device and powerbank before turning on the Kobo.

And also make sure that you have the latest version: http://www.postfrontal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8737
alstonbk Posted - 20/03/2018 : 01:03:14
Good question. Yes, first the 6.0a full install then 6.1j upgrade...both the OTG version. There is a note on the splash screen, under the version number, indicating "USB host kernel"...I think that is the verification of the OTG install.
parapenT1sta Posted - 19/03/2018 : 23:51:06
Did you install OTG version?
alstonbk Posted - 19/03/2018 : 20:51:53
I have a similar question on getting hardware to work with LK8000, but not XCTracerII. I am using LX Nano with the Aura 2 and an OTG Y cable from an external power source; other ends go to the Kobo and Nano respectively. Nano has the "Enable NMEA output" on and BAUD rate set to 57600. LK8000 has the device 'A' configuration set as:

Name: LX Colibri/Nano
Port: /dev/ttymxc0
Ext. Sound: Off
Baudrate: 57600 8bit

Not getting anything from Nano to LK8000. What have I missed? Do I need to use a different device name and port? Maybe the BAUD rate cannot be 57600?
brunotl Posted - 14/11/2017 : 14:53:26
did you see /dev/ttyACMO port ?

if yes, XCTracerII is seen by LK8000 and all should work...

PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy