PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 Android tablets and LK: suggestion

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ale_udine Posted - 13/09/2017 : 10:09:34
Hi guys!
I am looking for a tablet about 7 or 8'' for install directly on the instrument panel - with lk8000 of course - that have good brigthness (like a vertica2)
Do you have any suggestions to give me??
Thanks in advance
ag
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
freewing70 Posted - 09/11/2017 : 17:06:32
What about YotaPhone 3?
https://www.gsmarena.com/yota_yotaphone_3-8727.php
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 22/10/2017 : 02:36:47
quote:
Originally posted by ale_udine

quote:
Originally posted by AlphaLima

Already found a new 2000Cd Device for drones:
https://www.dji.com/crystalsky

the 7.8'it is too big...
very interesting also the 5,5'' with a 1000Cd at 469 $
do you think that it can run with lk8000?

According the website it runs on a special stripped down DJI version of Android, so it should be able to install and run LK8000, but you never know if DJI has removed something from Android that LK8000 requires to work properly.
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 22/10/2017 : 01:49:01
That looks very nice! If it runs Xcsoar it should be possible to run LK8000 as well, because the two softwares are closely related.

Just found out there has been some efforts to make LK8000 work on these units.. Nice!

http://www.postfrontal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8406

This comes close to those Craggy Aero Ultimate units... but a lot cheaper.

ale_udine Posted - 21/10/2017 : 14:53:33
I is possible to run lk8000 with this
http://www.stefly.aero/openvario/
from the website: "At the moment, the OpenVario project uses XCSoar as navigation software. With good Linux knowledge you could implement other software on the Cubieboard 2. Thats the beauty of Open Source.""

ale_udine Posted - 21/10/2017 : 14:45:54
quote:

the 7.8'it is too big...
very interesting also the 5,5'' with a 1000Cd at 469 $
do you think that it can run with lk8000?
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 20/10/2017 : 20:26:21
Ha, I fly a Mini Nimbus, no engine for me, makes the Best Alternate function a little bit more important.
davesalmon Posted - 20/10/2017 : 20:10:32
I think I flagged it up at the time, but can't remember anything. Fortunately it hasn't mattered as I have an engine in the back.
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 20/10/2017 : 20:05:08
Sometimes it is not really logical, taking a field much further away, but most of the time Best Alternate works fine. It seems to hold on to selected airfield as long that is reacheable, and only starts to search for another field when the current one is no longer reacheable. Probably it also prioritise registered airfields above landable unregistered emergeny landing sites.

Maybe Coolwind, bruno or Alphalima can shed some light on this?
davesalmon Posted - 19/10/2017 : 21:40:27
Marco, how do you rate the Best Alternative? I disabled it many years ago after flying on a hill about 5kms from home which was unreachable, but there was an emergency landing field in the database, at the bottom of the hill I was soaring on. However the BA was apparently a city airport 25 kms away. Since then I haven't used it.
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 19/10/2017 : 19:49:31
quote:
Originally posted by ale_udine

Thanks Marco for your suggestion.
Now I have 2 vertica 2 (one for backup).
In the 5' area of devices i think that is still a good option. The display have not the glass reflection that are (in my opinion) a problem of the others devices that i try till now.
But if you try to fly with a lx9000 or a Zeus cartographic display you can compare the big difference that you have with a big display with an excellent readability (mounted in the panel).
A Big map is better for navigation, a little display is sufficient but not satisfactory. (for example: try to move with your finger a point in a area task in a little display in a competition on a turbolent day:-)))
There is a very very big difference - in flight - specially in the readability of the cartographic map and cartographic labels.
So, i hope that in the future we can find a good android tablet for use it with lk8000 that have the right brightness...
happy landings!
ag

To have a big moving map is nice and all that, but again, you must ask yourself if you need al these details.. I know that some competition pilots remove all the ballast like topology city mames, small roads, rivers, railways etc etc.. only have airspace, terrain and waypoints on the map. I do not do that and keep the big cities on the map, but all small towns I have disabled (using the show with zoom feature, set it such that small towns are never shown, not even if zoomed in to the max.).

About navigation, I always fly with a task, and If I decide to change it, well, I have studied the paper map before and I always know more or less where I am and which airfields are nearby (Best Alternate is a very nice function in LK).. and Home base is of course set to the field I have started from... long press in the middle and all fields on the display are shown, and easy to choose from as GO TO. More I do not need! (as a flat land pilot I must add). For me there is no need that I know at every point in time exactly where I am, as long as I am sure I do not fly into airspace and high enough above the ground.. I am happy and enjoy the view :-)

With a phone on a RAM mount you can move the display very close to your face, and be able to read everything you need on a HD 5" Smartphone.. One of the main reasons I fly with LK8000 and not with XCSoar is that all the real important data is displayed in big readable fonts.

But in the end it is all personal preference, so you have to decide what you want, I just give my opinion and the arguments why I am very happy with my 5" phone
brunotl Posted - 18/10/2017 : 22:23:54
quote:

$849 for 7.85" Ultra brightness ...
AlphaLima Posted - 18/10/2017 : 15:30:36
davesalmon Posted - 17/10/2017 : 17:13:02
Have to agree that a bigger screen can be better, but you can always zoom the small display, as long as you don't want to move something too far.
ale_udine Posted - 17/10/2017 : 16:51:56
Thanks Marco for your suggestion.
Now I have 2 vertica 2 (one for backup).
In the 5' area of devices i think that is still a good option. The display have not the glass reflection that are (in my opinion) a problem of the others devices that i try till now.
But if you try to fly with a lx9000 or a Zeus cartographic display you can compare the big difference that you have with a big display with an excellent readability (mounted in the panel).
A Big map is better for navigation, a little display is sufficient but not satisfactory. (for example: try to move with your finger a point in a area task in a little display in a competition on a turbolent day:-)))
There is a very very big difference - in flight - specially in the readability of the cartographic map and cartographic labels.
So, i hope that in the future we can find a good android tablet for use it with lk8000 that have the right brightness...
happy landings!
ag
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 25/09/2017 : 21:03:45
In the paragliding community the KOBO e-reader is very popular.. I have seen one during a competition day in 2016, and is really nice and has very good visibility.. but it is black and white. But other than that, brightness on large displays is still an issue.

The new Samsung galaxy Note 8 seems to have a very bright screen (some say 1200 nits! That is quite a bit BRIGHTER than the V2 or GG) , but is rather expensive (€999 !!), and it is a phone, or phablet with a 6.3 inch Oled display.. for LK8000 with it's large fonts and buttons, that would be more than enough though... But because of it's price and usability outside the cockpit it seems a waste to buy only for cockpit use. For that price you can buy a nice LXNAV device on the second hand market.

If you need a big screen for some odd reason, the galaxy Tab S3 or Goolge Pixel C seems good options with brightness comparable with my current Nexus 5X phone, which works OK in the cokpit, but is not the brightest option around... stil quite expensive though.

It seems bright, cheap and big do not go weel together... so it is up to you to find the best compromise.

I have invested in a LXNAV S80 vario, linked with my reliable LX red box flarm and Nexus 5x smartphone, I think I have found a very good compromise in price, practical use (brightness) accuracy and functionality.. The x-grip and phone I have always with me, and with all club gliders having flarm with Bluetooth connectivity and a ram b-size ball on the panel, I am flexible and can fly off in just minutes with LK8000 as navigation.

All I want to say is think it over again and ask yourself if you really need it fixed on your panel, which takes real estate for more important instruments like a good vario.. why not invest in a small ram size B ball tucked away in a corner of your panel plus a RAM X-grip and bright screened 4.5 to 5.5 inch phone you can use every day (there are cheaper and better ones then my Nexus 5X, the Samsung A5 is also very good)

PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy