PostFrontal Forum
PostFrontal Forum
LK8000_Support_Forum | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LK8000 International Support
 Hardware
 Smart choice for a smartphone

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BravoLima Posted - 29/07/2017 : 12:05:11
I intend to buy a new Android smartphone. Which types have the best readability in sunlight, batterylife, CPU, etc. I've seen that some people in this forum use a LG Nexus 5x but what about the Samsung Galaxy s7 or other manufacturers? My budget is about 400 Euros.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 20/10/2017 : 22:56:36
Most new smartphones with bright HD 5" or bigger screens, require 5V 2A power supply to get charged (USB3).. not all power supplies can deliver that, like the power supply of the LXNAV S80/S100 can supply 5V 1A max (USB2). Of course it will slow down the discharge, and might show even a C on the LK8000 display, but in stead it will slowly get discharged.

I had this with one of my very old power supplies.. It was OK to charge the HTC HD2 4.5" windows Smartphone, but when I got the Glider Guider it was not strong enough, slowly the GG got discharged.. But when fully charged it took 6 or 7 hours, so for an average cross country flight, more then enough. But not long after that I got the Red Box and the BT module which had an integrated power supply, this one was much stronger and no problem charging the GG. This season it proved also strong enough for the Nexus 5X I use these days for LK8000.
BravoLima Posted - 20/10/2017 : 18:52:36
quote:
Originally posted by Alf

Bravolima, are you trying to recharge your A5 with the glider battery? Mine is not charging, probably due to overheating protection. It sometimes happens in my car as well, when it's really hot. On the glider it happens all the times. Battery is slowly discharging, even if the "C" (charging) is always present beside the battery percentage indication. For information, I am using a Millenair Glider Supply charger (12-5V) which perfectly worked with my old V2.

I haven't tried it yet. Our clubgliders are equipped with a 5v USB powersupply (12v-5v converter), so charging my A5 (2017) should be possible. As backup I use a LongMarch Powerbank and it's charging my phone without any problem. I checked charging in my car and it's also ok. Inflight charging I can not test earlier than March 2018 (it's the end of the season right now).
Alf Posted - 20/10/2017 : 15:34:19
Bravolima, are you trying to recharge your A5 with the glider battery? Mine is not charging, probably due to overheating protection. It sometimes happens in my car as well, when it's really hot. On the glider it happens all the times. Battery is slowly discharging, even if the "C" (charging) is always present beside the battery percentage indication. For information, I am using a Millenair Glider Supply charger (12-5V) which perfectly worked with my old V2.
BravoLima Posted - 05/09/2017 : 12:26:40
That's what I meant. Pair all available glidingclub aircraft dongles in my Android phone and for LK8000 select only the glider I want to fly.
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 05/09/2017 : 08:07:18
Hmmm, I dont know if that is a good idea..

You can pair them all in Android, but in LK8000 device settings I would set only the one you are sitting in the cockpit. Because if you are in the discus and the DG is in front of you at the start, and you have set DG in A and the discus in B it will pick the DG Flarm.. of course when it has started it will fall back.. but anyways.. Imagine you are thermalling close with the DG, and it picks up the signal of the DG, it would result in a very funny logfile I think.

So disable the ones you are not suppose to use, only the one you are sitting in as device A and the internal as device B
BravoLima Posted - 04/09/2017 : 21:30:01
Thanks!
I can place all dongles of our clubgliders in the BT list of my phone and select the one I need in LK8000?
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 04/09/2017 : 20:32:51
Hi Nico,

You have to first pair it in Android, after that you should see a port in LK8000 something like "BT:Btdonglenamewhenyoupairedit" Your old BT settings for the vertica do not work anymore... So look for a port that is preceded with BT:

To pair it in android:

Cycle the main power of the glider(to make sure the Bt dongle is in 'discover' mode)
In Android: Settings(cogwheel)>Bluetooth, wait till the glider dongle is shown as available device.. If it does not show after a few seconds, cycle the power of the aircraft again and cycle the Bt on your phone off and on again... Tap it and follow the instructions to pair it.. I am not sure if the pairing with the dongles require a code, but you will find out soon enough :-)

When it is paired you should be able to use it in LK8000:Tap the glider symbol in the lower RH corner, tap 2x Config, Tap LK8000 setting, Tap device setup, tap a letter and set it up like:
Name: Generic
Port: BT: 'donglename'

Geoid Altitude: ON
Serial mode: Normal
Device Model: Generic

If all is OK, you should see data coming in when tapping the Terminal button.

In LK8000 device settings a yellow stripe below a device letter means it the device you are currently try to configure, Bright Green means it has been configured and working OK, red means it is configured but not working, dark green means it is not configured and/or not turned on

What sometimes is an issue, when aircraft turned on the first time of the day it takes a long time before the Flarm starts sending data, because it is figuring out where it exactly is.. This may cause the Dongle to go into sleep mode, and then it is unable to dicover by your phone, making pairing impossible...

So yes it takes a bit of fiddling to get it set up, but once setup (paired) it is almost trouble free, because the dongle and phone do not need to be in discover mode, they know eachother and connect anyways (even if LK8000 is turned off)
BravoLima Posted - 04/09/2017 : 09:37:38
Hi Marco, can you give me the Device settings once more?
These were the settings I used yesterday:
- Device A, Generic, BT116 (millenair dongle Discus B), Baudrate 19200/8
- Device B, Internal
I'm not sure it connected because Terminal didn't show any data-traffic.
What does the green/yellow colorchange of the Device button mean?
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 03/09/2017 : 17:03:45
I had that too with volume and found out Android has several volume settings, make sure the MEDIA volume (indicated by a music note symbol) is sufficient (like 75-80%)

There is an issue with tap sounds on Android, when tapping the screen there are no sounds, coolwind and his team already know about it.

Bt connection is trouble free at my end... when it does not connect it means the Bt visibility mode has timed out and turned invisible for the outside again.. just restart LK8000 and power off-On the aircraft
BravoLima Posted - 03/09/2017 : 16:27:25
I flew today for the first time with the A5 2017. The display is good visible in direct sunlight. I had trouble connecting Flarm with BT and I noticed that I did not hear any sound when an airspace alarm was displayed. I need to check the BT connection again before the next flight and I think the volume setting might have been a bit low.
Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 28/08/2017 : 21:24:05
Hi Nico, did you already fly with your A5?
BravoLima Posted - 24/08/2017 : 09:40:11
I recently bought a Samsung A5 2017 and it has a baro sensor.
Alf Posted - 23/08/2017 : 22:58:57
Personally, this is what I tried up to now:

Samsung S3: Decent visibility (not as a V2), barometric sensor, no problems with LK
Samsung A5: good visibility (as a V2, though different somehow), NO baro sensor, no problems with LK

Marco from Hangar 5 Posted - 06/08/2017 : 13:32:26
Nexus 5x works fine, I have been flying with it during Klix and Schweinfurt, without any problems, the screen is not as bright as the Vertice/GliderGuider but still sufficient with yellow sunglasses, also when flying west during late afternoon :-) Nexus 5X is measured by tweakers at 412 Nits.

But I already have my Nexus 5x for two years, If I would need a new phone now, I probably would buy a LG G5 SE, which has a IPS screen with sunlight mode, and then it delivers 853 NITS of brightnes.. just as good as the V2/GG, See this website, scroll down for a big list of phones and brightness figures, LG G5 is on top. The G5 SE is a cheaper version of the G5 but has the exact same display.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-xl/help/screen-brightness-nits-sunlight-t3474102

On tweakers (Dutch) measured 712 Nits (135 nits less) but still on top of many other phones: https://tweakers.net/reviews/4533/3/lg-g5-innovatief-toptoestel-laat-steekjes-vallen-scherm.html

LG G5 SE is available new for about 320-450 Euro's

LG G5 second hand: on tweakers a good deal for 250 euro's: https://tweakers.net/aanbod/1404639/lg-g5-titanium.html (posted August 1, 2017), note that the cam module offers an extra battery. If you do not care about the color of your phone, I saw on tweakers a new Pink version of the LG G5 for 389 euro's :-)

AlphaLima Posted - 29/07/2017 : 13:11:27
Best choice at the moment:
Yotaphone2, Android6 HiRes Color display and E-Ink display on the back (approx. 300€ at amazon).
https://yotaphone.com/at-en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB043vUFhd8

PostFrontal Forum © PostFrontal - La community del Volo a Vela Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Since 2006, owned and maintained by PostFrontal S.A.S. di Giuliano Golfieri & c. - VAT ID: IT05264240960
THIS WEBSITE ONLY USES FUNCTIONAL COOKIES
Privacy & Cookie Policy